How Do You Rank The Seven Canadian NHL Teams (2014-2015 Season)

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I'm not falling for this again.

1. Montreal
6. Calgary
7. Edmonton

I didn't think there was any way we finished behind Calgary last year, ugh.

FTR: Sports Forecaster picks Calgary 4th in the division and Edmonton last.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not falling for this again.

1. Montreal
6. Calgary
7. Edmonton

I didn't think there was any way we finished behind Calgary last year, ugh.

FTR: Sports Forecaster picks Calgary 4th in the division and Edmonton last.

Sports Forecaster also has Tyler Seguin getting 110 points.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Montreal at the top. Calgary at the bottom.

Edmonton somewhere between 4th and 6th, but still poor.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
As a Flames Fan I do believe this is the years the Oilers do something. I still hate your coach, yet he is young like a lot of his players, and as such I do believe he is invested and truly cares. Finally the saying " Their building something special up there" becomes reality! Instead of a Calgarypuck joke!

You guys made some solid offseason moves, waiting a year before putting Nurse in the lineup was a "smart(unlike Edmonton thing to do) decision". You guys rushed prospects, and this is the year the damage gets undone.

Your Goalie, Ben Scrivens? Elite number one goalie? Never will be but I do believe he can be very solid. Yet he brings passion to the spot, he actually cares. I don't remember a goalie every being Captain of a team but he seems to have that sort of character. Passion.

Edmonton will be battling for a playoff spot this year. Years to come they will be regular contenders. Rebuild is close to being over there, it was done wrong but the right players drafted. I expect big things from the oilers in years to come.

As for my Flames? We are rebuilding, and I firmly believe we are doing it right. Yet this is the year we hit rock bottom. Fans are upset our rookies are not getting opportunities on the top lines. Limited minutes on 3rd and 4th lines for skilled guys playing with tough guys.

I look at Monahan at the beginning of the year versus the end of the year. Young decent sized guy steered away from contact at the beginning of the season. You are playing against men, your still a boy/teen. Monahan had a fantastic protected first year. Towards the end of the year, Monahan was battling in the corners for the puck. He built confidence, always protected. All young guys should be brought up this way.

In two years the Flames have a very young skilled, aggressive lineup battling the Oilers in the playoffs. Rekindling the Battle of Alberta.

I will not cheer for the Oilers over Calgary ever, but sure long for the days when the Stanley cup was decided long before the actual final!

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I think it's more like this:

1. Montreal

Might make the playoffs -
2. Toronto (Put them lower if not for the East advantage in easy points.)
3/4. Vancouver/ Edmonton (Toss up really IMO.)

Out of playoffs -

5. Winnipeg
6. Ottawa
7. Calgary

I go with this but really teams 3-6 could all be interchangeable depending on a number of factors. There isn't a lot of separation there.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
1) Montreal - I think they take a bit of a step back this season, that roster outside of Subban and Price is pretty mediocre IMO. The best of a sad lot.
2) Vancouver - Still a pretty decent team. I expect a bit of a bounce back from the Sedins, their D is still decent and Miller will give them solid goaltending. Definitely a better team than the Oilers still.
3) Toronto - Typical bubble playoff team. Dangerous offense when they are on, awful defensive structure and good goaltending. Bernier could carry them to a playoff spot. The east is a jumbled mess after Boston.

4) Winnipeg - Didn't really make any positive acquisitions but it's still the same team that always hovers around a playoff spot, still not sure why they haven't addressed the goaltending though because the rest of the roster looks pretty solid. They could drop a bit this season because other teams got better. Again though, definitely a better team than the Oilers.

5) Ottawa - Clearly in a rebuild mode. I expect Ryan to ask out midway through the season, but they still have one of the best defensemen in the game who can dominate games when he wants to so I think they'll be respectable.

6) Calgary - On paper they should be worse than the Oilers but they have a better coaching staff and they do one thing that I have yet to see the Oilers do on a consistent basis which is compete their ass off every game and make it hard on the opposition even in losses and that counts for a lot in this league.
7) Edmonton - What can I say? They still have the worst center depth in the league, one dimensional wingers although the added depth should help, a bottom 10 defense and bottom 10 goaltending. Plus the head coach is still a big question mark. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic but i'll believe it when I see it. Prove me wrong Oilers.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if all the Canadian teams missed the playoffs, certainly the Canadian teams in the west aren't going to make it. Pretty sad looking group.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pretty surprised by some of the rankings in here. Maybe it's the homer bias, I don't know but personally I wouldn't rank Edmonton any higher than 6th. On paper it looks better than some teams but papers don't play hockey.

1. Montreal - Given.
2. Vancouver - Still good enough.
3-5. Toronto, Winnipeg, Ottawa - Bubble teams who all have a shot at playoffs.
6. Edmonton - Well...
7. Calgary - Good work ethic but not enough high-end talent.

I see a lot of people on HF everywhere thinking Winnipeg is gonna be a bottom-feeder this year. I just don't see it. Barring the goaltending position they have a very talented roster with a good mix of youth and veteran leadership. Guys like Trouba and Scheifele could break out at any time as well.

Kind of the same goes for the Sens. I don't even know if it's that bad for them losing Spezza. They got an all-star in Erik Karlsson and a guy like Zibanejad could put on a career year. You never know. They already willed themselves into the playoffs two years ago despite massive injuries, they could do it again. Then again they could just as well have a terrible season and finish bottom-five. Sens are more unpredictable than the Jets IMO.

billsoilers

May 20, 2011
Rio Grande do Sul
Canadiens - no trouble making the playoffs
Leafs - Bernier wins the Vezina and they squeak in
Jets - Outside of Pavelec, they are actually very solid, if they get a decent goaltender they make the playoffs.

Oilers - we aren't even that soft anymore, and have two very capable goaltenders, still lack the #1D
Flames - they are similar to the Jackets, as hard working as it gets with a good goalie duo
Sens - very young with a so-so offense and crap defense
Canucks - They are going to be bad, really bad IMO

Smart Dunsparce*

Montreal- Had a good season last year, no reason to think they will drop off a cliff this season.
Vancouver- While having a bad season last year, I believe Torts was an anchor for that team. The Sedins should have a better year and overall have a better season than last. Let's hope not though
Edmonton- RNH, Yakupov and Schultz will have breakout years. With a 6 man nhl d corpse, goaltending and a new pp and defense coach, the Oilers will have a great season.
Toronto- is Toronto.
Atlanta- GM is scared to make any moves, nice pieces on that team, but i see more of the same from the as last year and the seasons they were in the ATL.
Ottawa- Bottom 5th in the league.
Calgary- Tank Nation.

Jul 19, 2012
Montreal makes playoffs
out of playoffs below this line ---
Toronto
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Edmonton
Ottawa
Calgary

All this talk about the Oilers almost making the playoffs is humorous. The glow of high expectations and a win loss record of 0-0 makes for very optimistic thinking for Sept 1...LOL

Lets look at the reality of the situation. Has the Oil gotten any better. Yes. But so has everyone else in our conference. Including Calgary.

We have 1 centerman who is still a kid (RNH), otherwise it is a CHL/AHL centre corps. Easy to key RNH out of games and you dont win hockey games with just wingers as the Oilers have proven for ohhhh, 8 years now. We have no No 1 or 2 Defencemen. Sure we have a bunch of 3-4's. But no real number 1. Goaltending will get us a few wins we should have had last year.

We will be more competitive. Until the C spot and the top pair D is improved, we are on the outside looking in for at least 2-3 more years.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I see a lot of people on HF everywhere thinking Winnipeg is gonna be a bottom-feeder this year. I just don't see it. Barring the goaltending position they have a very talented roster with a good mix of youth and veteran leadership. Guys like Trouba and Scheifele could break out at any time as well.

They play in the West. Thats the Jets problem. The West is composed of 8 top notch playoff teams, even with a few nice pieces the Jets can't compete for a playoff spot yet. Jets finished last in their division last year. I only see them finishing ahead of Nashville thus making them pretty much a bottom-feeder.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
To me Miller is the wild card for the 'Nucks. Miller of 4 or 5 years ago would make them easily still ahead of us. But I haven't liked much of what I have seen from him since the Olympics loss, and the concurrent 2 headshots/concussions. I am not at all sold on Lack if things go pear shaped. Depending on how goalies shake out, Vancouver could finish behind everyone.
If Miller struggles early the Vancouver fans will turn on him and things could get ugly quickly. I don't think he's ever had to deal with that before so it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to that.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
They play in the West. Thats the Jets problem. The West is composed of 8 top notch playoff teams, even with a few nice pieces the Jets can't compete for a playoff spot yet. Jets finished last in their division last year. I only see them finishing ahead of Nashville thus making them pretty much a bottom-feeder.

Are they really that much worse than Minnesota and Dallas though? If they had better goaltending and got 4-5 more wins from that they would have been in the playoffs last year. Pavelec played 57 games and had .901 SVS% last year. That was the worst number of any goalie with 40 or more games.

If they have slightly better goaltending this year and lets say Scheifele builds on his last season and gets 50+ pts this year, I could definitely see them battling for a playoff spot. Then again both Dallas and Nashville improved a lot in the offseason it would seem and with Rinne healthy Preds will likely be a lot better but still, I don't see Jets being a bottom-feeder, they are right in the mix IMO.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I'm not convinced there are 8 sure-fire playoff teams next season based on last year.
I can see Colorado drop back to earth and I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the bottom 4-5 in the conferance.
And, believe it or not, I'm not sure about SJ. With all the 'perceived' turmoil there, they could very well have a poor season and drop down a few notches.
Minny isn't a sure-fire hit either.

I see Anaheim, St Louis, Chicago, LA, and Dallas.

With the Canadian teams, I'm also not convinced Montreal is all that hot. Imo, the biggest reason they'll have decent points and make the playoffs is because they're in the eastern conferance.
Vancouver will probably have a resurgence without Torts, at least for one year, and should make the playoffs.

IMO, that leaves SJ, Minny, Edmonton and Winnipeg fighting for those last spots with, most likely, SJ and Minny winning. However, I wouldn't be totally surprised to see both Edmonton and Winnipeg get in at the bottom of the top 8.

Montreal
Vancouver
Toronto
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Ottawa
Calgary

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
1. Montreal

2. Vancouver/Edmonton
3. Edmonton/Vancouver
4. Toronto
5. Winnipeg
6. Ottawa
7. Calgary

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I don't get why some of you are so down on Winnipeg. They were one of the hottest teams down the stretch once Maurice took over. IMO the Canadian teams shake out something like:

Montreal
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Toronto
Ottawa
Edmonton
Calgary

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Oilers have potentially the worst head coach

Agreed. I'd expect that 1, maybe 2, Canadian teams make the playoffs. Montreal is in, but nobody else is definitely in. Calgary is definitely out, and I would expect Winnipeg and Toronto be out as well.

1. Montreal
2. Vancouver/Edmonton/Ottawa
5. Toronto
6. Winnipeg
7. Calgary

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
1. montreal
2. toronto
3. oilers
4. vancouver
5. winnipeg
6. calgary
7. ottawa

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i also expect ottawa, florida and the sabres fighting for the last 3 spots. the flames suck on paper but they are well coached and play with a lot of effort, enough to roll through higher than the 3 east teams that blow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad