How Do You Rank The Seven Canadian NHL Teams (2014-2015 Season)

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
My Ranking of the Seven Canadian Teams – 2014-2015
1. Montreal
2. Edmonton
3. Toronto
4. Winnipeg
5. Vancouver
6. Calgary
7. Ottawa

Montreal-With a greater wealth and maturity, Subban, the obvious leader, will help the team improve immensely. Price will follow in the footstep of Subban.

Edmonton- Taylor Hall will move into the elite class of wingers. RNH will develop into a premier centerman with much influence from the wise Ramsey.

Toronto-Educating Kadri will finally result in his growth and maturity. Shanahan will be a positive addition bringing in some pride and confidence.

Winnipeg-Without the joyeux Noel, the Jets will be better influenced by Maurice. Kane will able himself to be the player he should be and lead with power and scoring.

Vancouver-Despite the goalie conundrum and Kesler-less, the Sedins’s loyalty and hard work will certainly push the Canucks from falling into the abyss.

Calgary-Like it or not, Calgary has made some great moves in the past 2 years with some nice draft picks and trades. With names like Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, and the pickup of Hiller, the Flames will do better than bottom 5 in the league.

Ottawa-Without Spezza, the Sens will have to rely on young players to lead the team. Even though a talented team, the Senators will have a tough time maintaining a winning season.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Montreal
Vancouver
Toronto
Ottawa
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Calgary

Truely tough times

Would be suprised if 0 Canadian team made the playoffs

StayFrosty

Dec 6, 2011
Playoff teams for 2014-15 -

1. Montreal
2. Toronto
3. Vancouver

Might make the playoffs -

4. Edmonton

Out of playoffs -

5. Winnipeg
6. Ottawa
7. Calgary

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Playoff teams for 2014-15 -

1. Montreal
2. Toronto

3. Vancouver
4. Edmonton

Out of playoffs -

5. Winnipeg
6. Ottawa
7. Calgary
I think it's more like this:

1. Montreal

2. Toronto (Put them lower if not for the East advantage in easy points.)
3/4. Vancouver/ Edmonton (Toss up really IMO.)

Out of playoffs -

5. Winnipeg
6. Ottawa
7. Calgary

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I think the Oilers should be better than all the Canadian teams in the East besides Montreal but Toronto will have a better finish due to an easier conference.

Besides that, I still put Vancouver above Edmonton. They're on the decline and I hope the Oilers manage to top them but I still think they have a decent team.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
I think the Oilers should be better than all the Canadian teams in the East besides Montreal but Toronto will have a better finish due to an easier conference.

Besides that, I still put Vancouver above Edmonton. They're on the decline and I hope the Oilers manage to top them but I still think they have a decent team.
To me Miller is the wild card for the 'Nucks. Miller of 4 or 5 years ago would make them easily still ahead of us. But I haven't liked much of what I have seen from him since the Olympics loss, and the concurrent 2 headshots/concussions. I am not at all sold on Lack if things go pear shaped. Depending on how goalies shake out, Vancouver could finish behind everyone.

darkwave09

Nov 5, 2008
1. Montreal
2. Vancouver
3. Ottawa
4. Toronto
5. Winnipeg
6. Edmonton
7. Calgary

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
1. Edmonton
2. Montreal
3. Vancouver
4. Toronto
5. Ottawa
6. Winnipeg
7. Calgary

This is sad. SO very sad. Canadian hockey is probably at its all time low. When I seen you had Montreal first I thought that has to be wrong but really they probably are the best Canadian team right now but by such a feeble margin I may as well go full homer/optimism.

Edmonton is #1 only if the coaching situation has been resolved or will be very quickly.

Montreal is a weak #2 because their defense is suspect and the forwards mainly riding good chemistry. On paper this actually a pretty sad team that reply extremely heavily upon Price.

The rest are a collection of terrible teams barely even worth mentioning in todays NHL.

I don't expect a single Canadian team to make the playoffs this year.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I think Edmonton would make the playoffs in the easy east. I doubt they make it this year because the west is stacked.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
1. Montreal
2. Vancouver
3A. Winnipeg
3B. Ottawa
3C. Toronto
6A. Edmonton
6B. Calgary

Ottawa easily could swap with Edmonton and/or Calgary in the near future.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Montreal > Vancouver > Toronto > Edmonton = Ottawa > Winnipeg > Calgary

After Montreal, honestly it's a toss up though, could flip flop any which way. Whole lotta suck up North :laugh:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
1 - Montreal - Easily makes it to the playoffs. Might make it to round 2.
2 - Toronto - Barely squeaks into the playoffs. Gets blown out in the first round.
3 - Edmonton - Misses the playoffs by 1 or 2 spots. Having depth at most positions really pays off this year.
4 - Vancouver - A few points behind Edmonton. Defence is solid, but goaltending and scoring don't come through.
5 - Winnipeg - Goaltending and goal scoring hold the team back.
6 - Ottawa - Lack of quality depth hit them hard.
7 - Calgary - Hoping for Mcdavid.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers have potentially the worst head coach and the worst defence of the Canadian teams. That's what's holding them back.

That and while the forward group is talented, they're still raw. Yakupov needs considerable development in his game and Draisaitl obviously is a rookie and likely will bring some good things to the table, but will also need space to make mistakes.

Nugent Hopkins needs to take his game to another level. We know more or less what to expect from Hall and Eberle I think, both have another gear they can get to of course, but there shouldn't be huge surprises with them anymore.

Last edited:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I find it interesting that people are fairly bullish on the Leafs when they have pretty much the exact same team as last year.

I went to look at Toronto's roster and while they didn't make any big splashes in free agency they did make a number of moves to help shore up their depth. Getting Leo Komarov back, Daniel Winnik, and David Booth helps the bottom six. Mike Santorelli showed well in 49 games in Vancouver with 28 points, he's a good add. Then adding Polak and Robidas will help Toronto defend better. Defending was Toronto's biggest problem and they made moves to address that. I think they've done enough to make themselves a borderline playoff team.

My list is:

Montreal
Toronto
Edmonton
Vancouver
Winnipeg
Calgary
Ottawa

I wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver slid lower either. Declining Sedins and Miller leading your team are not a recipe for improvement. They lose Kessler and get decent pieces in Sbisa and Bonino. Dorsett and Vrbata are good additions too but overall the roster lacks goal scoring and doesn't look playoff worthy. If that team isn't winning that ship might go sideways in a hurry too.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Montreal

Vancouver

Toronto
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Ottawa

Calgary

I think the Flames will be really bad.

PaperDesigner

Mar 1, 2008
1. Montreal--Best Canadian team, but probably not a legitimate cup contender.
2. Vancouver--I think they are a legitimately good team that had a few things go wrong last year. Their cup contending years are over however.
3. Ottawa--I don't think their team last year was as bad as they showed, but losing Spezza hurts. Still think they are a playoff bubble team.
4. Winnipeg--I say they improve very slightly and finish still outside the playoffs.
5. Edmonton--Flip a coin between them and Winnipeg, but will probably finish about where Winnipeg did last year.
6. Toronto--Simply an awful team. I say this is the year where their true colours show as to how awful their team actually is.
7. Calgary--They may actually finish dead last in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad