How do you like to agitate people?

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Unless you are in the NHL, NCAA, or other professional league, I don't see much reason why you would be doing so.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I just play beer league now, while there are guys who like to agitate even at this level, I find them more than a little ridiculous.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Only ever done it once, had a defenceman constantly spearing me when I was crashing the net (near enough every shift) and doing it so the ref never saw/called it. This dude was about a foot taller than me and a much better skater so I wasn't gonna stand up to him straight up but thought I'd be a bit more clever and just started winding him up, Throughout the 3rd period I was just being an annoyance constantly lifting his stick, Skating right across his path etc and a few choice chippy comments of which my favourite was "Call that clearing the crease? You only know how to clear a plate of doughnuts". He started to get wound up and started knocking me around (this is a non-checking league) so I gave as good as I got but always aimed low to put him off balance.
Then about 2 mins before the end of the 3rd after me causing him to fall over he obviously wanted to finish the game in the box as he lined up a hit when I was going around the outside by the boards. It was rather obvious so just as he got near enough I dropped my shoulder, real sudden turn and he rolled off my shoulder and straight into the Plexi! :laugh:

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
I'm not an agitator but I take note of people that do, and then I usually give them something extra in the corners or in front of the net where the refs usually let things play out. After that they'll generally start shadowing me and it makes it very easy to draw penalties.

If you really want to get somebody mad that's been annoying you, just bust out a sick celly after a goal. :laugh:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I play Midget hockey. When I agitate people I will do something (poke goalie, hit them) and whenever someone does something back at laugh at them or have a huge grin on my face.

I really never chirp, it's much funner when I don't say anything and people go nuts on me. I think it's even more annoying to them since I'm 5'7.

bauerguy88

Oct 22, 2008
North East
I play Midget hockey. When I agitate people I will do something (poke goalie, hit them) and whenever someone does something back at laugh at them or have a huge grin on my face.

I really never chirp, it's much funner when I don't say anything and people go nuts on me. I think it's even more annoying to them since I'm 5'7.

You play with a cage haha. No offense, but if you do that crap in juniors (if you are going to play juniors or can) you will get your teeth knocked out most likely.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You play with a cage haha. No offense, but if you do that crap in juniors (if you are going to play juniors or can) you will get your teeth knocked out most likely.

Meh, I can handle myself, if not they can have fun taking penalties on me. We'll see next year I guess ;)

bauerguy88

Oct 22, 2008
North East
Meh, I can handle myself, if not they can have fun taking penalties on me. We'll see next year I guess ;)

You will see dude. Haha I ran into guys like you in juniors. Had a few on my team too that said they did the same things you say you do. They got rocked pretty quickly and eased up a bit. What province are you from?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You will see dude. Haha I ran into guys like you in juniors. Had a few on my team too that said they did the same things you say you do. They got rocked pretty quickly and eased up a bit. What province are you from?

Ontario. I could see me getting punched for trying to agitate, that'll probably make me ease up, but I'm pretty quick and I'm pretty solid on my skates so someone hitting me won't make me ease up.

Getting my teeth knocked out like you said, yeah, that would make most people ease up :P

bauerguy88

Oct 22, 2008
North East
Ontario. I could see me getting punched for trying to agitate, that'll probably make me ease up, but I'm pretty quick and I'm pretty solid on my skates so someone hitting me won't make me ease up.

Getting my teeth knocked out like you said, yeah, that would make most people ease up :P

Ah okay. I played juniors up in Ontario. Never had my teeth knocked out luckily haha. Took a few shots to the head. (shoulders and elbows.) Good luck dude.

Briere Up There*

When I played seriously I never agitated. I play only beer league now but I think it's pretty funny to chirp and give the other team/refs ****. Particularly if I'm clearly wrong about something, guys on the other team will go nuts when I dispute black and white offsides and penalty calls.

I only do it for my own amusement.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm not an agitator at all, but on some days where the blood is flowing, I am not a chirper, but I'm pretty nasty to play against, hooking, holding, pushing are the usual tactics.

But I hardly ever do so. I've only had 2 PIMs since I've started playing. That's more of the refs missing calls, than not being a nasty piece of business. I'm only 5'8'' but I can hold my own, but I'll hardly agitate. I'm a goal scorer or just defender. I play a lot of positions.

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010
Funny how much different I am between game and pickups. When the refs are on the ice, I'll save my jawing for the refs on stupid calls and usually don't say anything to the other team.

When it's a pickup intended for players in the lowest league, and a ringer(s) show up who take 20 minutes a shift and carry the puck the entire time...I don't have a lot of patience.

Last night one of these guys showed up, and a couple times after I'd jump onto the ice, I'd skate by him and say "come on, shorter shifts, buddy" fairly nicely, after another person on our team said something to him and was ignored, I didn't feel like being nice about it.

When he finally took a shift off, and was on the bench next to me, I turn to him and said "If you are too good to be taking regular shifts like the rest of us, don't show up to a BEGINNER pickup."

He gave me some crap about "I have the wind, and I'm out there to help you guys out"...which was not the case, since he was always skating through the 5 players on the other team and shooting...which is more pathetic since it was posts for goals, no goalies even showed up.

I eventually went over to the other team since they had a shorter bench, and they were as pissed off at this idiot as everyone on his own team, and we started trying to hit him every time we had the chance...not too long after he just left, much to the relief of everyone.

bauerguy88

Oct 22, 2008
North East
The one thing that agitated me really bad was a kid kept sticking the butt end of his stick up under my visor nearly getting my eye each time. I threw the butt end of my stick into his ribs, but he kept doing it. Finally I snapped when he caught me in the eye. I look back at what I did and it was bad. He was facing the boards when the whistle was blown. I cross checked him in the back of the neck which rammed his head into the boards knocking him out (IDK how long he was out for.) I got dog piled by players on his team which basically incited a near brawl. I got tossed right after it because I punched the frist player that jumped on me. He really found a good way to piss me off. I felt horrible once I calmed down because I was worried I broke the kid's neck, but IMO he had the best way to agitate someone. IDK if he was trying to or not, but it worked.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
A lot of guys get pissed off at me because I stand in front of the net, so I just give what I get. Key is to keep your composure and let them get the call when their top inevitably blows.

Sitka

Nov 29, 2010
I like a chippy, physical game but when people get ridiculous (ie: blatant cheap shots especially on weak players), I get started.

My absolute favourite move (reserved for real *******s - the only time I've done it this year, the guy ran our worst player from behind into the boards) is to give their stick a stomp and break it.

At that point they either have to fight or walk away with their tail tucked between their legs because you can't really deny it as a challenge.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I only play beer leagues and don't get what the point is to be an agitator. I usually do make smart ass remarks but they're meant more to make the other team laugh than agitate them since the whole league is basically just a big group of friends.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Try this out sometime(and it's perfectly legal).

Works best as a defenseman around the net.

Stick your helmet right in the puck carrier's gloves are and he can't do anything, like move the puck, pass, shoot or move forward.

Annoys 'em every time.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad