How do you guys rank the swedes in this years draft?

• Thread starter hogtownhabsfan*
  • Start date

hogtownhabsfan*

Obviously Lindholm is the consensus #1, but what about Wennberg? Is he clearly #2?

Also Burakowsky? De la Rose?

I've heard so much good things about Nurakowsky, but there is almost zero tape out there of him.

Also De la ROse impressed me big time at both the U18s, as well as at the U20s. Big guy with skill who can fly, play physical, and works hard defensively.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Obviously Lindholm is the consensus #1, but what about Wennberg? Is he clearly #2?

Also Burakowsky? De la Rose?

I've heard so much good things about Nurakowsky, but there is almost zero tape out there of him.

Also De la ROse impressed me big time at both the U18s, as well as at the U20s. Big guy with skill who can fly, play physical, and works hard defensively.

Lindholm is the best of the bunch. I like Wennberg a lot, for me he's not THAT much worse than Lindholm. I think Lindholm is a bit more talented and his style is also more likely to translate to the NHL than Wennberg. Those two are clearly the best Swedish players in this draft though.

Burakovsky is up there in terms of upside, he is very raw and a bit inconsistent though. De la Rose would be my 4th player, I think he has some offensive qualities but he has been used as a pure grinder on his club team. He was fantastic on the PK at the WJC and a big guy who can skate and hit is useful to any team.

I'd personally rank them like this:

Lindholm
Wennberg
Burakowsky
De la Rose
Hägg

hogtownhabsfan*

Lindholm is the best of the bunch. I like Wennberg a lot, for me he's not THAT much worse than Lindholm. I think Lindholm is a bit more talented and his style is also more likely to translate to the NHL than Wennberg. Those two are clearly the best Swedish players in this draft though.

Burakovsky is up there in terms of upside, he is very raw and a bit inconsistent though. De la Rose would be my 4th player, I think he has some offensive qualities but he has been used as a pure grinder on his club team. He was fantastic on the PK at the WJC and a big guy who can skate and hit is useful to any team.

I'd personally rank them like this:

Lindholm
Wennberg
Burakowsky
De la Rose
Hägg

Awesome breakdown, thanks.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Mine is Lindholm, Wennberg, Hägg, de la Rose, Burakovsky but I think Burakovsky's upside is second only to Lindholm's. He's the type of player I'd be ecstatic about getting in the second round, but a little scared of taking in the first round. Only Lindholm and Wennberg are polished men's players at this point.

malin75baryard

Jun 12, 2013
I had very high hopes for both Wennberg and Lindholm during the middle of the season but since then my high hopes has fallen down a notch or two. Lindholm has a problem with his work-ethic off the ice much like Calle Järnkrok. He laughs behind the backs of people who says that he needs to develop more strength and gain some weight. He thinks that idea is silly, and that's kind of silly of him to think so because he would definately benefit by adding some muscle to his frame.

While Wennberg doesn't have such problems he is obviously much more dependant on his environment. He's great at positioning himself but lacks the ability to create a lot of own opportunities. That's always a con for me. However he's still a very good player who should be one of the first 20 picks.

I think that Burakovsky developed a lot during this season. My first viewing of him got me disappointed. He had so much raw skill but weren't able to make use of it in a proper way. He was selfish and very easy to read. So when I had my last viewing on him a couple of months ago I was amazed over his development. Sure, there are still some untamed raw skill but his patterns were no longer as visible as before. With the right schooling this guy will has more upside to him compared to a guy like Wennberg.

I've noticed that a lot of americans hold both de la Rose and Hägg much higher than my Swedish colleagues. I don't know exactly why but I feel that it's because they like de la Rose's "Canadian playstyle" a lot and only have seen Hägg play in international games. I, however, have watched them play in both their regular team and their junior team and think there is a big difference between their international display and regional display. To begin with de la Rose is a very limited player which shouldn't be praised that high. Sure, he plays a north and south kind of game and succeeds at doing so, but in order for him to rack up points at a decent level he will be needing to have more skilled teammates donate it to him.

I would love to give my thoughts about Hägg as well but I'm afraid I have no time for that right now so I'll do that at a later time, if anyone is interested.

My top-5:
Lindholm
Wennberg
Burakovsky
Hägg
de la Rose

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I had very high hopes for both Wennberg and Lindholm during the middle of the season but since then my high hopes has fallen down a notch or two. Lindholm has a problem with his work-ethic off the ice much like Calle Järnkrok. He laughs behind the backs of people who says that he needs to develop more strength and gain some weight. He thinks that idea is silly, and that's kind of silly of him to think so because he would definately benefit by adding some muscle to his frame.

While Wennberg doesn't have such problems he is obviously much more dependant on his environment. He's great at positioning himself but lacks the ability to create a lot of own opportunities. That's always a con for me. However he's still a very good player who should be one of the first 20 picks.

I think that Burakovsky developed a lot during this season. My first viewing of him got me disappointed. He had so much raw skill but weren't able to make use of it in a proper way. He was selfish and very easy to read. So when I had my last viewing on him a couple of months ago I was amazed over his development. Sure, there are still some untamed raw skill but his patterns were no longer as visible as before. With the right schooling this guy will has more upside to him compared to a guy like Wennberg.

I've noticed that a lot of americans hold both de la Rose and Hägg much higher than my Swedish colleagues. I don't know exactly why but I feel that it's because they like de la Rose's "Canadian playstyle" a lot and only have seen Hägg play in international games. I, however, have watched them play in both their regular team and their junior team and think there is a big difference between their international display and regional display. To begin with de la Rose is a very limited player which shouldn't be praised that high. Sure, he plays a north and south kind of game and succeeds at doing so, but in order for him to rack up points at a decent level he will be needing to have more skilled teammates donate it to him.

I would love to give my thoughts about Hägg as well but I'm afraid I have no time for that right now so I'll do that at a later time, if anyone is interested.

My top-5:
Lindholm
Wennberg
Burakovsky
Hägg
de la Rose

I obviously don't know him personally but I saw Lindholm play before and after last summer. He was skinny like Jarnkrok at the U18 WC but much stronger than Jarnkrok after his summer training. He is way ahead of his cousin physically while being three years younger, he also did pretty well at the combine recently. To me Lindholm doesn't seem like a guy with bad work ethic, he strikes me as a guy with pretty good work ethic.

I also strongly disagree that Wennberg is too dependant on his environment and that he's not good at creating chances.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad