How do you, GM of the San Jose Sharks, fix the Sharks?

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Sorry, but I didn't read this entire thread. I've posted on HFHockey before that I fear Sharks are going to be in the wilderness for many years to come. But contracts to aging and/or ineffective players like Pickles, Burns, EK65 and Jones will hamper the team for years. Maybe Burns will be picked up by Seattle (hopefully)! So that will help, but it really, really, really sucks that the isn't a game breaking player on the Sharks a la McDavid (maybe using McDavid is unfair, but the point remains: Sharks lack one guy the team can count on to consistently change the game in favor of the team).
here's another thing I worry about: in the past, Sharks could count on attracting a good/great UFA, but as the Sharks start to wander in the wilderness, why would a UFA come here?
One last thing: doubtful drafting will fix the problem, and I have no faith in the sharks scouts, anyway.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Sorry, but I didn't read this entire thread. I've posted on HFHockey before that I fear Sharks are going to be in the wilderness for many years to come. But contracts to aging and/or ineffective players like Pickles, Burns, EK65 and Jones will hamper the team for years. Maybe Burns will be picked up by Seattle (hopefully)! So that will help, but it really, really, really sucks that the isn't a game breaking player on the Sharks a la McDavid (maybe using McDavid is unfair, but the point remains: Sharks lack one guy the team can count on to consistently change the game in favor of the team).
here's another thing I worry about: in the past, Sharks could count on attracting a good/great UFA, but as the Sharks start to wander in the wilderness, why would a UFA come here?
One last thing: doubtful drafting will fix the problem, and I have no faith in the sharks scouts, anyway.

When have the sharks ever attracted "great/good" UFAs?

Getting UFAs to come here right now are the least of the sharks worries, there are a lot of fundamental issues within the system that they have to address first.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
When have the sharks ever attracted "great/good" UFAs?

Getting UFAs to come here right now are the least of the sharks worries, there are a lot of fundamental issues within the system that they have to address first.
At the time EK65 signed, wasn't he UFA? If not, apologies. Anyway, I think people thought that signing was a coup for the Sharks. But I agree that the Sharks have a crapton of problems.

Props to the on air crew for having to make the best tv they can (and put on a happy face) when the on ice product sucks so much.

I've followed the Sharks since the very beginning (Cow Palace days). for a while now, I've wondered if I was a Sharks fan solely due to geography (living in Northern California). It's been a long time now since I was STH, or even purchased Sharks packs, or attended Sharksfest. This team has teased me too many times (this will be the year they win the Cup) for me to have faith in them anymore.
ETA: before the season started, some folks, like me, thought Chicago would be a crap team, like Detroit level bad. But they're one of the surprises of the season so far. Sharks, on the other hand, have been worse than expected (based on hockey predictions I've seen or heard before the season started).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kat Predator

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
You have to fire DW ASAP. Is he really going to trade away all these bad contracts he signed ? Hard to tell your boss how much money you just blew and that the teams going to be tanking for the foreseeable future.

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Even finding a trade partner to unload any one of EK65, Vlasic, or Jones (in that order of likelihood) would be a huge win. Burns still has trade value to a contender and is not getting any younger. Has been a great Shark, but for the position of this team you move age out while the asset still has solid value. He would still net a nice return as his play is still equivalent to his pay.

I think a legit 1C ala Thornton in his prime type would do wonders for this team. Couture or Hertl centers the second line and Gambrell centers a scoring third line. I think his hustle and effort has improved greatly in particular.

Reactions: Red Light Lover

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
One meta problem: many of the current bad contacts are for players who were once good. I appreciate the benefit of paying players while their career progresses: it makes you a good employer that people want to work for. But it does feel like the tax of past success is high when we don't have a cup. What's the appropriate balance of being the players gm vs. only paying for present play when re-signing?

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Even finding a trade partner to unload any one of EK65, Vlasic, or Jones (in that order of likelihood) would be a huge win. Burns still has trade value to a contender and is not getting any younger. Has been a great Shark, but for the position of this team you move age out while the asset still has solid value. He would still net a nice return as his play is still equivalent to his pay.

I think a legit 1C ala Thornton in his prime type would do wonders for this team. Couture or Hertl centers the second line and Gambrell centers a scoring third line. I think his hustle and effort has improved greatly in particular.
Well yeah, a generational talent usually helps a bit. The guy is a top 4 all time playmaker for gods sakes. if he played in the 80's his assist totals would be behind just Gretzky with nobody in front of him. We are not going to luck into one of those.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
You have to fire DW ASAP. Is he really going to trade away all these bad contracts he signed ? Hard to tell your boss how much money you just blew and that the teams going to be tanking for the foreseeable future.

Fire him or move him to team president as a thank you because he really did do a bang up job over decades. but either way he has to go if we want to......
next post

One meta problem: many of the current bad contacts are for players who were once good. I appreciate the benefit of paying players while their career progresses: it makes you a good employer that people want to work for. But it does feel like the tax of past success is high when we don't have a cup. What's the appropriate balance of being the players gm vs. only paying for present play when re-signing?

If Wilson starts ejecting players who were loyal to him, players outside won;t trust the sharks org much. For that reason, Wilson needs to be relived of his GM duties and a new hardass put in place who will tell the old players "Sorry guys, I didn't make those deals" and start telling Vlasic he is benched until he waives.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
(MTL) Drouin + 1st round pick 2021 + Prospect <-> (SJ) Meier

Name the prospect that would move the needle for you (being realistic)?

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

I agree. They came into this season with a faster roster, but have implemented a system with 0% open ice hockey. Based off that, most of the exciting 2020 draft is probably earmarked as future trade bait. Wiesblatt and Bordeleau might be keepers, but the team will not adapt to them. They will gain weight, cycle the puck, and adapt to the team . . . in time.

I only trust the guy who found Balcers. Everyone else is expendable. It can't be that hard to watch USHL, NCAA recruiting lists, Memorial Cup, World Juniors for scouting ideas.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

IMO the best temporary move would be to showcase the skills they still have. That increase in productivity would make the contract more palatable for the Sharks and potential trade partners. Now, the overall team results may be affected and the analytics will be all messed up, but their dogma towards possession hockey already isn't working. Losing while watching EK65 dance around the ice should be more fun for fans anyway.

And in the future, IMO the best balance is to have good scouting/development. Create options, so that deficit spending isn't the only way.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
At the time EK65 signed, wasn't he UFA? If not, apologies. Anyway, I think people thought that signing was a coup for the Sharks. But I agree that the Sharks have a crapton of problems.

Props to the on air crew for having to make the best tv they can (and put on a happy face) when the on ice product sucks so much.

I've followed the Sharks since the very beginning (Cow Palace days). for a while now, I've wondered if I was a Sharks fan solely due to geography (living in Northern California). It's been a long time now since I was STH, or even purchased Sharks packs, or attended Sharksfest. This team has teased me too many times (this will be the year they win the Cup) for me to have faith in them anymore.
ETA: before the season started, some folks, like me, thought Chicago would be a crap team, like Detroit level bad. But they're one of the surprises of the season so far. Sharks, on the other hand, have been worse than expected (based on hockey predictions I've seen or heard before the season started).
Technically EK65 wasn't a UFA yet. He signed prior to the start of free agency. Also attracting high end UFAs without trading for them first is where the Sharks fall short. So all this roster bating people do when they say "use extra money to sign good UFAs" is the equivalent of farting into the wind. Anyone truly worth paying for won't come to SJ. There was a couple years where DW over paid for guys (Martin, Boedker, etc) when the team was considered a contender but that definitely ain't happening if they go full rebuild. How ever they improve this team will have to be thru the draft or trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad