Speculation: How do you fix this situation before the off-season?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
At the risk of flooding the first page with yet another thread on this topic, I feel like it might be good to temporarily have a place for centralized discussion on this current funk we're in. If mods disagree, feel free to delete/lock

Assuming we're talking about just the regular season:

Do we stay the course until things hopefully turn around? Continue juggling lines? Make a trade? Fire the coach if things don't get better? All of the above? Some of the above?

Personally I think we could do with a trade to wake up the locker room first and foremost. Doesn't have to be a big one but something to send a message

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
IMO, stay the course, but keep ear close to ground for a good trade to insulate the core (ie: Zucker/Kadri esque trades). I think the team is working through learning how to counter the playbook counters that other teams are implementing on them. Whether it's juggling lines, fixing system, tasering players after bad games, tying Peters up at the drive in and publicly pelting him with milk shakes etc. I don't know. I think they will be fine long term though.

Firing the coach after one season seems obscene to me. I'd love if somehow we could convince Sutter to be brought in as a special advisor to teach Peters how to motive players though.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Things are so bad we're taking up 10% of Friedman's brain

2. I’d be astonished if Calgary traded Johnny Gaudreau at this time. For one thing, the Flames are aware that this historically 12.5 per cent shooter is at 7.8 in 2019–20. There is concern about how he’s playing, as Gaudreau’s confidence and puck wizardry in the offensive zone are missing. A huge part of their offence was Gaudreau getting in close, where Sean Monahan could bury it. That’s missing. But there’s no desire to make a rash move.

3. I do think, however, that GM Brad Treliving will try to breathe new life into the group. I’m not sure how easy that’s going to be as the Flames are tight to the cap. And he’d be selling low on some useful players. Let’s take Mark Jankowski, for example. He’s really struggling, with zero points in 21 games. He scored 31 goals the last two seasons, seven of them shorthanded. I do think he’s available, but they see his value over the last three seasons while other GMs will say, “Well, we see this year.”

They’ve had Michael Frolik available for awhile, and it will be interesting to see how close to their core they are willing to get if their struggles continue. (My guess is not that close until the off-season, with the possible exception of Travis Hamonic, if he does not get extended.) Monahan may not be scoring, which hurts, but they asked for improvements in other areas of his game — such as faceoffs, where’s he’s got a career-high percentage. One interesting possibility: Oliver Kylington, who would like more opportunity. But, again, other teams have indicated the Flames are being careful not to undervalue their own players during tough times.

4. I don’t get the sense Bill Peters is in jeopardy. Calgary made a coaching change when this group petered out on Glen Gulutzan. The organization doesn’t want that to happen again.

31 Thoughts: Flames not interested in selling low on Gaudreau - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Foo Fighter

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Stay course, get rid of the dead weight to give the kids a chance and add/Subtract from the core in the offseason.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don’t get the sense Bill Peters is in jeopardy. Calgary made a coaching change when this group petered out on Glen Gulutzan. The organization doesn’t want that to happen again.

giphy.gif

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Stay the course and for the love of God keep our 1st round pick. If we turn it around good, I may be spamming the forum with Byfield and Lafreniere gifs/talk, but I'd still rather go to the playoffs this year as I still believe we have a solid team if our guys actually show up.

If everyone continues this trend of career lows then trade the deadweight at the deadline and get some assets for the draft. Also, please don't re-sign Hamonic. I know we gave up a lot for him, but he's not getting any better and he's already on the verge of 3rd pairing/7th d-man.

Once teams below us start catching up with games played we'll be bottom 5-10, there is no reason to start making trades to salvage the season, it will just do more harm than good.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
They go with what we have until Johnny and Gio's contracts are up. The glaring need is obvious.. A top 6 C or a good top 6 or 1st line winger and have Lindholm play C. We should dump one of Hammonic or Brodie for offensive help, which should still leave us good on D when Vali comes back (he looked great in the few playoff games). Finally, Jank has to be gone at this point and is just a waste out there and same with Frolik.

JG - EL - XXX (New top 6 Winger)
AM - SM - MT
AC - MB - SB
ML - DR - DD

Ideally we can get a top 6 center and winger. This team should be good enough for a top 3 pacific finish.. I think.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
There is no fix before the off-season. You gotta ride it out, two possibilities: The team eventually catches fire and works back into a playoff spot or the more likely scenario, we continue faltering. No matter what keep the draft picks for this year, if we're not in the hunt at the deadline sell off the UFAs for assets and pray for some good luck in the lottery. Then enter a rebuild in the summer, the only pieces I wouldn't move are: Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Dube, Andersson, Valimaki, Hanifin and Rittich, everyone else can be had for the right price.

The "quick-fix" in season would be to fire Peters, which I think we will see before the end of this road trip, but I don't think it'll help, as there is a problem with the how the team is built and the core seems very mentally weak namely the guys that have been here since 14-15 (Backlund, Brodie, Giordano, Gaudreau and Monahan)

Reactions: Deen

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
You cannot fix this big of a mess in season, this kind of mess is dealt in the offseason. And do not trade the 1st round pick.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
There is no fix before the off-season. You gotta ride it out, two possibilities: The team eventually catches fire and works back into a playoff spot or the more likely scenario, we continue faltering. No matter what keep the draft picks for this year, if we're not in the hunt at the deadline sell off the UFAs for assets and pray for some good luck in the lottery. Then enter a rebuild in the summer, the only pieces I wouldn't move are: Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Dube, Andersson, Valimaki, Hanifin and Rittich, everyone else can be had for the right price.

The "quick-fix" in season would be to fire Peters, which I think we will see before the end of this road trip, but I don't think it'll help, as there is a problem with the how the team is built and the core seems very mentally weak namely the guys that have been here since 14-15 (Backlund, Brodie, Giordano, Gaudreau and Monahan)

I like your post but I disagree about firing Peters. You cannot fire a coach every other season.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Would the ownership allow it, they are already 1 coach for not coaching.
Not too sure what ownership would allow tbh, I personally am against it, but if they're looking for a quick fix the easiest thing to do would be fire the coach, I'd rather just ride out the season and then re-assess.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Not too sure what ownership would allow tbh, I personally am against it, but if they're looking for a quick fix the easiest thing to do would be fire the coach, I'd rather just ride out the season and then re-assess.

The best thing for this team right is to unload Brodie and Hamonic and the other crap for picks and use this year as retool year.

We have been dealt a shitty hand but if we play it right, we will be better in the long term. But unfortunately I have no faith in our management.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
The best thing for this team right is to unload Brodie and Hamonic and the other crap for picks and use this year as retool year.

We have been dealt a ****ty hand but if we play it right, we will be better in the long term. But unfortunately I have no faith in our management.

I agree. Try and unload Brodie, Hamonic, Backlund, Frolik and Jank.

Reactions: viper0220

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Clean house and tank

I do not see an untouchable on this team..not even tkachuk

Reactions: viper0220

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I know the sky is falling but Jesus we’re not doing a rebuild so soon. Treliving will be gone before ownership gives the go ahead to pull the plug again.

Stay the course, see if this is a typical Flames slump or a serious issue. If a reasonable trade presents itself than pull the trigger, but no need to dump players while their values are at all time lows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad