How do you feel about Sam Gagner so far?

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
Hey guys! I've always wanted the Sens to pick up Gagner because I think he's a good top 6 forward if used correctly, when I saw that Arizona picked him up, I thought you guys got a steal of a deal. Anyway, after preseason and the handful of regular season games, how do you feel about Sam Gagner?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He is only just now being put with with worthwhile linemates.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
He's been good. He's got good hustle, good board battles and yesterday we saw what his offensive capabilities can look like if he's given his chance with legitimate players.

Hasn't been great, but not many players this season has been either. He's been good.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Been alright. Now that he finally has a point, and got moved to wing, we'll see if it kick starts him into greater things. Hasn't been bad defensively and you can see glimpses of his offensive creativity, but it needs to start coming together here shortly. Better line mates will hopefully help that.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
There was obviously an adjustment period for the first 5 games or so, since it's a new team, but he looked really good last night, and I really think we'll start to see some decent production out of him now. In the mean time, he's just been okay, but like I said, I think we'll start seeing some good production out of him.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I put that's he's looked okay. He's had some great shifts and you can see the creativity. He might need time to adjust, but he hasn't seemed to be a liability, which was my major concern (especially with this coach). Hasn't had a lot of icetime with talented players. If he can keep creating chances going in that direction and not create chances back in ours, I'm happy. Cautiously optimistic.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Fellas, he's been below avg so far with only 1 pt in 7 games. I know, I know, Tipp hasn't put him with someone who can help him out...and he's learning a new system, yada yada yada...but he's still got to produce around 50pts this season and right now he's below that.

Therefore he's been below average

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
Had a hard time choosing between okay and below average. In the end I chose below average because he's here to score points and he hasn't, but he's been working hard and played with not very skilled linemates so it is understandable. I think there's reason to believe his production will improve with time, how much will depend on how Tippett ends up using him.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think he's had 3 pretty good games(Oilers, Panthers, Preds) and 4 mediocre ones. Going average. It's not like the team has been that great, especially 5 on 5.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Works hard on the ice. Flashes talent frequently. Has crappy linemates and no chemistry. Until recently, anyway. I think he will end up a solid player for us. It's just taken a little time. I think he's on track now.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
He still needs to get the oil out of his veins!
I expect him to be a lot more effective once he settles in and develops chemistry with linesmates and learns the ways of the pack... I never expected an immediate impact.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He’s involved and he’s been around the play. He’s getting his chances. Now it’s just a matter of capitalizing. So far, I’d say ‘okay’, but that can move up to ‘good’ very quickly once the offensive production starts to flow.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I voted "good" but in reality it's probably about halfway between good and okay. 1 point in 7 games isn't pretty but the way he's playing the points will come and he should be able to reach at least 40 points. 50 would be a more realistic goal on a team with more offensive talent, i.e. almost anyone else except a few.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If he had more points I'd say incredible

I agree with this. I think he has been very good in all the areas he was knocked in Edmonton. He has been solid on D, the forecheck and in corners too. The points will come, but the rest of his play is solid, he is a good fit for us.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
I voted OK, because at the end of the day we need points. But I think he's played very well on the offensive and defensive side (shocking). I really don't want to see him in the FO circle, so hopefully the lineup changes will shake that up.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I voted OK, because at the end of the day we need points. But I think he's played very well on the offensive and defensive side (shocking). I really don't want to see him in the FO circle, so hopefully the lineup changes will shake that up.

The way Hodgman played on the dot and with Hanzal coming back, I could see Gags staying on the wing. With Hodgman, Hanzal, Vermette, and Vitale, we have a solid center rotation on the dot, which Tip has to like. It will be interesting to see if Hodgman wins as many draws Tuesday and that alone could keep him in the NHL.

Last edited:

indczn

May 28, 2008
Other: Not very good, but about as expected. At least he's cheap.

He leaves a lot to be desired offensively, imo. Too many passes/cycles broken up. At least the effort is there so he might turn things around.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Who has he been playing with? Both previously and now(you guys mentioned he was getting better players).

Klinkhammer on his left, Dave Moss on his right. Both are 4th liners on good teams, if that.

Lately he has been playing with Korpikoski on his left and Martin Erat on his right, or as a right wing with Korpi and Hodgman as his center. Not really top 6 guys still, but much better. Early results are pretty good.

He has had a lot of chances but he just hasn't converted on them. He is often in a position to score, and his skill obviously shines. He isn't nearly as bad defensively as Oiler fans made him out to be. I like him as a person on this team, and as a player at his salary/age/skillset. His future may be as a winger rather than a center.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm the yahoo that voted "incredible", not that I think he has been, but wanted to counter the "get him off the team" votes. Do some really feel he needs to go? We need him to produce for the Yotes to win. I think those votes were from Kings fans. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad