Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Probably should be thankful you aren’t in charge then. Yes the cap space is valuable, but you need assets back that can move the needle now. Our window is the next 4 years
Considering I've been right about everything since the moment they fired Dubas.. You might want to rethink that :)

Could've save you 7 years of pain. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: al secord

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Shanahan has been in charge since 2014, and in that time, he has fired 4 coaches and 3 GMs. Culture change starts at the top, and if he had even the slightest shred of professional integrity (which he doesn’t), he’d resign immediately.
Ten years and one game beyond the first round, if that isn’t failure I don’t know what is……..

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Friedman on TJMS

• Not hugely surprised by the news, or the timeline. Not Treliving's way to act quickly. Prefers to take his time. They wanted the coaching situation cleared up before Friday's media.
  • Thinks Keefe is a better coach than the market believes. Thought regular season was best coaching job he's done given all the injuries, but nobody wants to hear that right now.
  • Expects to see Kelley, Treliving, and Shanahan all talking tomorrow. Gets the impression Shanahan is staying, at least for another year. Has 1 more year on his contract, and expects Toronto to honor it.
  • Said yesterday was a big day of meetings. Heard it was very important for Pelley to be there for meetings yesterday. Says Pelley has been heavily involved - heard he's been to a few Marlies games.
  • Keefe just released video saying he's going to take a bit of a break. Liked the video. Most coaches want to get right back into it, because it's in their blood. There's also an eagerness to get back into the mix to show they weren't the problem, and be successful somewhere else. Some are very curious if Keefe wants another high profile job, or a low profile job - mentions Winnipeg.
On life after Keefe:
  • Thinks a lot of speculation will go around Craig Berube - thinks he fits the way Treliving thinks about hockey, but it's not Treliving's way to just hand the job to someone. Expects that there will be a process, and talk to Berube but also Todd McClellan and Jay Woodcroft.
  • If he was wagering, Berube would be top of the list. Treliving doesn't like rushing into a decision until forced to - thinks New Jersey job is highly coveted job and Berube is heavily linked to that job.
  • Thinks Treliving wants to do interviews with others, but could also come down to who he thinks he might lose out on if he doesn't act quickly.
  • Repeats that Craig Berube has lots of attention / interest on him - thinks teams know whether he's interested or not.
  • Gets the sense that in Jersey, some like him but some don't. Feels like he was the clear candidate, Berube to Devils would already be done.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Considering I've been right about everything since the moment they fired Dubas.. You might want to rethink that :)

Could've save you 7 years of pain. Lol

I can almost guarantee that you didn't say that Treliving would make this team worse, so I doubt you've been right about much.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You realize some teams don't even make the playoffs right? You can mention how bad his playoffs were, but you can't say he was bad in the regular season.

I'd hire him in Buffalo if I were them.
We'll best of luck with that then. Lol

I never have to have him be my problem ever again

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Teams with unlimited coaching budgets that drafted a couple generational talents don't take stupid gambles like that

Good ones that is. Get your start on Seattle. Lol

That's like a company hiring a dude straight outta college to be the CEO. Dumb

It was also a problem because it was an almost-rookie president hiring a rookie GM who hired a rookie coach.

Reactions: QJo and yubbers

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I can almost guarantee that you didn't say that Treliving would make this team worse, so I doubt you've been right about much.
He didn't. He was just left with perpetual failure if goalies Dubas was known for. We beat Boston with a goalie that has an above .9 save % 😆

Reactions: Jmo89

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It was also a problem because it was an almost-rookie president hiring a rookie GM who hired a rookie coach.
There was logic surrounding synergy & familiarity when the hire was made.

The mistake wasn't necessarily the hire, but how long they stuck with it - hindsight is 2021, given how the Montreal series went, it felt obvious at the time but a few years removed from it, feels foolish not to have done it at the time.

Reactions: Sypher04 and Jmo89

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Friedman on TJMS

• Not hugely surprised by the news, or the timeline. Not Treliving's way to act quickly. Prefers to take his time. They wanted the coaching situation cleared up before Friday's media.
  • Thinks Keefe is a better coach than the market believes. Thought regular season was best coaching job he's done given all the injuries, but nobody wants to hear that right now.
  • Expects to see Kelley, Treliving, and Shanahan all talking tomorrow. Gets the impression Shanahan is staying, at least for another year. Has 1 more year on his contract, and expects Toronto to honor it.
  • Said yesterday was a big day of meetings. Heard it was very important for Pelley to be there for meetings yesterday. Says Pelley has been heavily involved - heard he's been to a few Marlies games.
  • Keefe just released video saying he's going to take a bit of a break. Liked the video. Most coaches want to get right back into it, because it's in their blood. There's also an eagerness to get back into the mix to show they weren't the problem, and be successful somewhere else. Some are very curious if Keefe wants another high profile job, or a low profile job - mentions Winnipeg.
On life after Keefe:
  • Thinks a lot of speculation will go around Craig Berube - thinks he fits the way Treliving thinks about hockey, but it's not Treliving's way to just hand the job to someone. Expects that there will be a process, and talk to Berube but also Todd McClellan and Jay Woodcroft.
  • If he was wagering, Berube would be top of the list. Treliving doesn't like rushing into a decision until forced to - thinks New Jersey job is highly coveted job and Berube is heavily linked to that job.
  • Thinks Treliving wants to do interviews with others, but could also come down to who he thinks he might lose out on if he doesn't act quickly.
  • Repeats that Craig Berube has lots of attention / interest on him - thinks teams know whether he's interested or not.
  • Gets the sense that in Jersey, some like him but some don't. Feels like he was the clear candidate, Berube to Devils would already be done.

lol f*** no to Woodcroft

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
One of the classiest departures I think I've seen in quite a while. Wishing well with the next step for him, whatever it is

He wasn’t the main problem.

He absolutely had his flaws but in the grand scheme of things, it’s this core and their inability to rise to the occasion time and time again and the mess of a cap structure created by Dubas.

If this is the only change, I expect another first round exit and another wasted year.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Said yesterday was a big day of meetings. Heard it was very important for Pelley to be there for meetings yesterday. Says Pelley has been heavily involved - heard he's been to a few Marlies games.
Did he go to a few Leafs games lol?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Tbh I’m reading way too much hate on keefe and it does make some sense, but I hope this doesn’t get away from the real point of what has happened

The core has failed spectacularly. Keefe failed at adjusting, but the core 4 were f***ing awful in the normal positions they were put in. Matthews has been a fraud come playoffs almost every single time, dude plays one game like a star and the rest like a second liner. Marner does the same without that one game. Nylander never shows up for an entire series, and Tavares is just a fraud. We could have a f***ing Eakins behind the bench and the talent on this core should still score more than 2 goals a game

Keefe is not enough, one maybe two of the core have to go, it’s obvious which ones but they might not want to waive. Then play pretend one more year and say goodbye mitch and John, don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Was obvious to many of us.

Yet here we are almost a decade later and Dubas homers still won't eat their crow. Lol

why do people like you still insist on bringing up Dubas all the time? Who cares. He isn’t even here anymore. We let keefe go. You aren’t going to find many who disagree with the decision round these parts.

I think most of us have agreed for a while it probably was necessary

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
You realize some teams don't even make the playoffs right? You can mention how bad his playoffs were, but you can't say he was bad in the regular season.

I'd hire him in Buffalo if I were them.

Didn't Buffalo just rehire Lindsy Ruff?

I can see in a lot of teams especially in the west. He will be a great assistant coach to any contender.

I always felt that's where he should have started in NHL

Reactions: Sypher04

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Whatever you think of Kyle or Sheldon's long term results it does seem like a recipe for a wasted first couple of years while they learn the game at the NHL level. Especially as a GM. Anyways good luck in Pittsburgh Sheldon you legendary man!

Reactions: Jmo89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad