How do you feel about Rasmus?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Given our salary cap situation we can’t afford a 5.1 million dollar third pairing dman. No thanks. Walker with 50% retention, I’d be interested in though. I think Benoit - Walker could be a good third pairing next season for us.
Tre really did get the short end of the stick getting left with this D. Negative cap space to work with while D like Gio and Brodie who were counted on to play key roles are aging and declining.
I remember when Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren were supposed to be the highly touted drafted and developed replacements for D like these and it hasn't turned out that way at all. Our previous regime was hilariously bad at drafting D or trading all the picks so you didn't even have an opportunity to draft them to begin with.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
We’re talking about the wrong Rasmus here. Let’s talk about Rasmus Andersson instead!

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
the Leafs d play under strict orders to keep possession of the puck instead of just getting it out. No idea if it's a good strategy or just more smartest-man-in-the-room stuff but Risto would be asked to make small risky plays a lot more than usual. I'd trust the Leafs to know if he'd be a good fit but I think his reputation is that he's kinda scatterbrained. And we already got a couple like that.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
He can skate and hit, but close to zero hockey sense. no way.

There were many times I saw him play for Buffalo, and even a few clips for philly in the past couple seasons where he is on the ice, his BACK to the eventual goal scorer as he chases another forward away from the net trying to hit or crosscheck him. Not once, not twice, but he does stuff like that over and over and over.

Buffalo traded him and they got a bit better once he was gone, and once Philly got him, a few weeks into his time there he gets reduced ice time and even a few healthy scratches.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Not sure he ever lived up to the hype for Rasmus, I'd probably pass on him.

In related news the Sens are shopping Cheech just a year after making a big trade for him, is Cheech asking to be traded or is he not working out in Sens-landia?

Makes $4.6 mil this year and next, is a RD and is only 25 years old. 26 points in 40 games, playing 22:31 a night.

Lets say we fix a few problems with one trade, we send Brodie/Timmins and something else and get Cheech + a small cap dump from the Sens back in return? Do you take a flyer on Jacob Chychrun?

Reactions: arso40

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Haven't seen much of Risto but I swear it wasn't that long ago people were trying to prove he was the worst player in the league. Why are they moving him anyway when they're riding a major uptick this year? Feels like over thinking fit.

What about the Anderrson version, has Calgary ruled him out? They need to reset.
this is a smart take.

risto has improved a ton over 1.5 seasons with the Flyers. But not to $5 mil worth. But he'sstill good enough for the current Flyers to not require (valuable) retention spots to move him along, even at the max, which would be a big cap handicap. They are better off eating the discprepancy between cap and true value, saving the retention spot, and playing him full-time. No harm.

Better the bad salary you know than the bad salary you inherit. He's a a Flyer for a while

Reactions: LeafEgo

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Tre was spotted in Buffalo last week during travel restrictions for the Buffalo / Vancouver game, Vancouver is looking for a 3rd line center, Buffalo is looking for just about everything. Not sure we have a 3rd line center to give , that leads me to believe he was scouting Buffalo.

We need D , LW and goalie help. Woll should be back in the next 2 to 3 weeks. I think a Woll/Jones tandem makes D and LW a more pressing need.

If we assume Buffalo is looking to move pending UFA's :

Eric Johnson RD - The No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft continues to thrive as a big defenseman who skates well. He still has a big shot, possesses excellent hockey sense and is effective in a shutdown role. Staying healthy has been an issue throughout his career, currently injured. He's more of a 2nd /3rd paing D now.

Zemgus Girgensons, LW, Inconsistency and injuries have plagued him, after he looked like a big (6'2"), physical forward capable of putting up good offensive numbers. Can play on the wing or in the middle. Overpowered opponents at lower levels but has found it is not as easy to do that in the NHL. He's only playing 12 min a night, is he better than what we already have? I dont think so

Eric Robinson, LW, The Princeton University grad has carved out a role in the NHL as a hard-working depth forward who kill penalties and can chip in the odd goal here and there. Has enough speed to get past defenders and into good scoring position, and his size and compete level make him a useful forechecker. Even better play away from the puck and a more physical edge may help him earn more minutes. He's playing 12 min a night, sounds like the kind of guy that can help our bottom 6 and PK.

Victor Olofsson LW, Owns a big-time shot, which is quick, heavy and accurate. Can score from distance. Is also a terrific weapon on the power play, where he is elusive enough to get open for his one-time shot. Has to get stronger and more consistent, and needs to work on his 200-foot game to realize his full potential. He's scored 20 twice but he tends to have limited ice time for a big shooter, 15-17 min a night, might suggest a defensive liability.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Tre really did get the short end of the stick getting left with this D. Negative cap space to work with while D like Gio and Brodie who were counted on to play key roles are aging and declining.
I remember when Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren were supposed to be the highly touted drafted and developed replacements for D like these and it hasn't turned out that way at all. Our previous regime was hilariously bad at drafting D or trading all the picks so you didn't even have an opportunity to draft them to begin with.
Lou and Dubas the super duo of fools. The worst thing to ever happen to a team handed nylander matthews and marner was getting Lou and then his assistant as GMs.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Tre was spotted in Buffalo last week during travel restrictions for the Buffalo / Vancouver game, Vancouver is looking for a 3rd line center, Buffalo is looking for just about everything. Not sure we have a 3rd line center to give , that leads me to believe he was scouting Buffalo.

We need D , LW and goalie help. Woll should be back in the next 2 to 3 weeks. I think a Woll/Jones tandem makes D and LW a more pressing need.

If we assume Buffalo is looking to move pending UFA's :

Eric Johnson RD - The No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft continues to thrive as a big defenseman who skates well. He still has a big shot, possesses excellent hockey sense and is effective in a shutdown role. Staying healthy has been an issue throughout his career, currently injured. He's more of a 2nd /3rd paing D now.

Zemgus Girgensons, LW, Inconsistency and injuries have plagued him, after he looked like a big (6'2"), physical forward capable of putting up good offensive numbers. Can play on the wing or in the middle. Overpowered opponents at lower levels but has found it is not as easy to do that in the NHL. He's only playing 12 min a night, is he better than what we already have? I dont think so

Eric Robinson, LW, The Princeton University grad has carved out a role in the NHL as a hard-working depth forward who kill penalties and can chip in the odd goal here and there. Has enough speed to get past defenders and into good scoring position, and his size and compete level make him a useful forechecker. Even better play away from the puck and a more physical edge may help him earn more minutes. He's playing 12 min a night, sounds like the kind of guy that can help our bottom 6 and PK.

Victor Olofsson LW, Owns a big-time shot, which is quick, heavy and accurate. Can score from distance. Is also a terrific weapon on the power play, where he is elusive enough to get open for his one-time shot. Has to get stronger and more consistent, and needs to work on his 200-foot game to realize his full potential. He's scored 20 twice but he tends to have limited ice time for a big shooter, 15-17 min a night, might suggest a defensive liability.
I'm halfway between Buffalo and Toronto so I follow both teams closely.

Johnson is OK this season, good leadership, but he's playing at best at a 3rd pair level. Nothing more than injury insurance/depth.

Girgensons, I disagee he will put up good offensive numbers, but for his minutes played he's not worse than most 4th liners. If he was available cheap I would want him for sure. 100% motor guy, very good forchecker, above average speed, not afraid to take the body. Above average penalty killer, and as far as scoring not great but not totally hands-of-stone. I'd take him in a heartbeat of Buffalo makes him available.

Robinson....he's a slightly lesser version of Girgensons in every way.

Olofsson. In the right system/on the right team, he can be a 30 goals scorer. If he was in Edmonton, he'd put up over 40 on one of their top lines. Hes not good in his own end at all, he won't take the body, doesn't rush to get back on D, but he doesn't make any glaring mistakes. If he's available cheap (3rd rounder or less), I'd take him for my 3rd line but put in on the 2nd PP unit.

Girgensons yes, Olofsson for the right price....Robinson and Johnson don't make this team better though.

Reactions: Hellcat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad