How do we feel about Ted

koalabear9301

Cero Miedo
May 9, 2016
Baltimore
He runs the Capitals and Wizards the same way. He's owned both teams for 14 years now, one of them for the entire century, and he's only fired two GMs—GMGM on the Caps, Grunfeld on the Wizards. Both times he ended up replacing them with their understudy (GMBM here, Tommy Sheppard on the Wiz).

He does meddle a little bit more with the Wizards, but for the most part he just lets his front office do the work. He just inherited an elite FO with the Caps and an underperforming one with the Wizards. I only see him being a problem for the Caps if it becomes clear the FO is behind the times but he still puts too much faith in them.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Not firing GM's who make the playoffs but don't win championships will result in hiring a GM who misses the playoffs entirely much more often than hiring one who wins a championship consistently. Too much patience? Possibly. Impatience is not a better choice. What is the exact right amount of patience? Does BMac deserve to get a full rebuild under his belt like GMGM did? Probably.

I honestly don't know WTF is happening with the Wizards and don't care, but it does seem like he tolerates mediocrity over there more than with the Caps.
I think ppl underscore the power of Dick Patrick (and his son Chris). He’s a long time hockey mind from a long time hockey family. He holds a lot of sway and power, IMO, and is inherently the main “difference” between the Caps and Wizards.

Abe had Wes as his version of Dick. But sadly, Wes was not good at GM’ing (mildly better at coaching), so that never worked out.

Ted is good. He does trust his lieutenants a tad too much (ahem Ernie & George), but that may be good w Brian (jury is out w Tommy).

Last edited:

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Take away our HOF captain, who is still here because of Ted

This is the crucial point for me. Before Ted, we were the kind of club marquee players might easily (and sometimes did) desert the moment they had the opportunity. DC used to be an unfortunate stopover for great players, and now it's far more of a destination.

Maybe another owner could have done better, but I think we've got one of the better ones. Looking for greener grass feels like hitting on 19 to me.

(That was a Blackjack reference, not dating advice.)

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
My only real criticism of Ted is that he waited a little too long to replace. GMGM. That's it, that's the list.

He spends to the cap, he's put the team in a position to win, and he's grown the brand, helping ensure the team stays successful on the business side when his reign is over. No more campaigns to save the Caps.

This team was an NHL afterthought when he bought them. Now they're coming off of a decade of being a marque franchise.

I do wonder what's going to happen with the arena. It's what, 25 years old? That's the next big thing for the team to navigate.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think ppl underscore the power of Dick Patrick (and his son Chris). He’s a long time hockey mind from a long time hockey family. He holds a lot of sway and power, IMO, and is inherently the main “difference” between the Caps and Wizards.

Abe had Wes as his version of Dick. But sadly, Wes was not good at GM’ing (mildly better at coaching), so that never worked out.

Ted is good. He does trust his lieutenants a tad too much (ahem Ernie & George), but that may be good w Brian (jury is out w Tommy).
A+ post….Dick is the seasoned mind behind it all….Wizards sorely lack that kind of presence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad