How do we feel about Ted

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
If you asked me 5 years ago I would have said Ted is the best thing to happen to this franchise, other than OV. But I worry a little about how this team will move forward without a generational talent. He seems too loyal at times and it feels like he is OK just being semi competitive. I see what he has done with the Wizards and it terrifies me that the Caps will suffer the same fate in the near future. Is he just a bad NBA owner but a good NHL owner?

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Ted has been great, we won a cup after all. But he did also luck out into a generational player and take away 2018 and this era would be considered a failure. Obviously he won the cup so it isn’t. If the Wizards were not such a clusterf*** I would not be as worried. But is that what the Caps look like if we don’t draft an Ovechkin level player?

Reactions: Neil Racki

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ted has been great, we won a cup after all. But he did also luck out into a generational player and take away 2018 and this era would be considered a failure. Obviously he won the cup so it isn’t. If the Wizards were not such a clusterf*** I would not be as worried. But is that what the Caps look like if we don’t draft an Ovechkin level player?

I still don't understand this.

Take away our HOF captain, who is still here because of Ted, and the Cup we won, and look at the rest? How many other teams can have the same standards apply?

The Caps are one of the most successful franchises of the last 20 years. Just because they only won 1 Cup doesn't mean Ted is a bad owner. That's ultimately on the players, particularly in the playoffs.

Ownership put the franchise in a position to succeed more often than not. The players or coaches just couldn't get it done in the playoffs as often as we'd have hoped.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I still don't understand this.

Take away our HOF captain, who is still here because of Ted, and the Cup we won, and look at the rest? How many other teams can have the same standards apply?

The Caps are one of the most successful franchises of the last 20 years. Just because they only won 1 Cup doesn't mean Ted is a bad owner. That's ultimately on the players, particularly in the playoffs.

Ownership put the franchise in a position to succeed more often than not. The players or coaches just couldn't get it done in the playoffs as often as we'd have hoped.
This. The mighty '90s Red Wings took like 20 years to win a Cup too. It's hard.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I dont follow the NBA much but it seems like roster/team building in the NBA is a lot different.

Wiz arent the only team having to pay max contracts just to keep star but not superstar talent. NBA needs to reconsider things bc these max contracts are hurting teams now imo. Teams have to over pay to keep guys.

I like Ted, I dont know the numbers but Id guess Ted has a lot of investors and co-owners etc.

Ted is our guy. Long way from the days of fans screaming at him for tanking.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Its like sometimes we forget that the 31 other owners are very smart people, who also spend a lot of money, hire hockey people, and want to win. Its incredibly competitive and just doing everything the right way doesn't even remotely guarantee you'll actually win a Cup. It also takes a crap ton of luck, in addition to doing literally everything right, even down to finding the right 4th line grinders in the dumpster bin to fit perfectly into a locker room and on the ice (think DSP and his 2 months of incredible value sandwiched around a year and a half of absolute nothingness). Oh, there's also timely injuries, or as I said, incredible luck.

I love Ted and I have serious doubts any other owner would do better. The Penguins were absolutely gifted Sydney Crosby in a complete scam of a one time lottery rules change after the lockout. That should have been our 1OA pick, but instead the Pens got two 1OA and two 2 OA picks in four years straight. They don't win a single Cup without those gifts.

It takes luck, and skill and its still incredibly hard to win a Cup.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Another thing to remember is that people with this kind of money can do whatever they want. If they're buying sports franchises, it's because they want something out of it, whether that's vanity or winning or hanging out with pro athletes or just making money or whatever, they're not doing it for the fans; they're doing it for themselves. Ted always said it was one of his dreams to win a sports championship and the Caps gave him that. If he's a bit too in love with the guys who helped him realize a dream, as flaws go, that's pretty mild. Whatever he's doing with the Wizards, I don't know, but he's having fun with his Caps and their superstar captain and he's gonna do what he wants. So far it's worked out pretty good for us fans.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
ITs fun to contrast
Another thing to remember is that people with this kind of money can do whatever they want. If they're buying sports franchises, it's because they want something out of it, whether that's vanity or winning or hanging out with pro athletes or just making money or whatever, they're not doing it for the fans; they're doing it for themselves. Ted always said it was one of his dreams to win a sports championship and the Caps gave him that. If he's a bit too in love with the guys who helped him realize a dream, as flaws go, that's pretty mild. Whatever he's doing with the Wizards, I don't know, but he's having fun with his Caps and their superstar captain and he's gonna do what he wants. So far it's worked out pretty good for us fans.

Its fun to contrast Ted L(eonsis) to Ted L(erner). Both built first class organizations through proper rebuilds built around superstars. Both struggled to get lucky and break through to win a Championship. Both finally did get lucky and win that elusive Championship. But one owner spent the absolute max he could to keep it all together, the other one let all the big money go elsewhere and now they are literally dead last.

In the end, the concept of "when to rebuild" is a tough one to answer. Can we criticize the Ted's for not starting the rebuild exactly when the fans thought it was the right time? Well, I guess so. But both owners brought an end to championship droughts in this city that existed for multiple decades. Those title celebrations after those respective wins were the best moments in DC sports since the SB in 1992. And then we have Dan Snyder for comparison. I'll take either Ted over the alternatives any damn day.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The Penguins were absolutely gifted Sydney Crosby in a complete scam of a one time lottery rules change after the lockout. That should have been our 1OA pick, but instead the Pens got two 1OA and two 2 OA picks in four years straight. They don't win a single Cup without those gifts.

It's been a while but people forget about this.

Since then the Caps have been eliminated from the playoffs by the Pens three times, and beaten them once.

What would our playoff record look like if those drafts hadn't been so slanted in Pittsburgh's favor?

arlcapsfan

Oct 3, 2015
My biggest problem with Ted has always been his reluctance to fire GM’s. I’ll accept the suck with the record chase because that’s what we’re in for for the next three seasons. If this is the price for being blessed with Ovi, so be it. He made hockey relevant in this town.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
My biggest problem with Ted has always been his reluctance to fire GM’s. I’ll accept the suck with the record chase because that’s what we’re in for for the next three seasons. If this is the price for being blessed with Ovi, so be it. He made hockey relevant in this town.

Not firing GM's who make the playoffs but don't win championships will result in hiring a GM who misses the playoffs entirely much more often than hiring one who wins a championship consistently. Too much patience? Possibly. Impatience is not a better choice. What is the exact right amount of patience? Does BMac deserve to get a full rebuild under his belt like GMGM did? Probably.

I honestly don't know WTF is happening with the Wizards and don't care, but it does seem like he tolerates mediocrity over there more than with the Caps.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I don't think we can blame GMBM for the way things have gone the last few years. The injuries this season were insane. Lavi is a respected coach and you don't micromanage a guy like that. You give him a chance to play out his contract. And all the while you try to fill the obvious (and not so obvious) holes in the lineup.

GMBM has done all of that.

Only one team wins the Cup. Finishing high in the standings every year makes it hard to develop rosters based on high draft picks because you never get any.

Reactions: Corby78

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It's been a while but people forget about this.

Since then the Caps have been eliminated from the playoffs by the Pens three times, and beaten them once.

What would our playoff record look like if those drafts hadn't been so slanted in Pittsburgh's favor?

Totally. I mean how would we have faired with Cary Price or Bobby Ryan for a decade, instead of.. checks notes... Sasha Pokulok??? :huh:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Very mediocre. Default best owner in DC. Totally luck boxed into Ovechkin and should have won at least 1 more Championship with competent management.

Could be permanently upstaged by Harris or whoever buys the Nats.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I dont follow the NBA much but it seems like roster/team building in the NBA is a lot different.

Wiz arent the only team having to pay max contracts just to keep star but not superstar talent. NBA needs to reconsider things bc these max contracts are hurting teams now imo. Teams have to over pay to keep guys.

I like Ted, I dont know the numbers but Id guess Ted has a lot of investors and co-owners etc.

Ted is our guy. Long way from the days of fans screaming at him for tanking.
This makes sense. Maybe Teds style of ownership is a better fit for NHL than NBA. I just find it funny that he openly tanked to get Ovechkin but does not seem to be willing to do the same for the Wizards.

Reactions: Praetorian Caps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That they sold at the deadline should be heartening. They could have easily resisted and doubled down and didn't. So when the time comes I don't doubt they'll strategically tank (again) rather than Beal It Up.
Honestly to me, this more than anything signals that Ted isn't meddling. The GMs he's hired are doing what they do. So you could critique his management choices and unwillingness to change management, but he seems to mostly give these guys a blank check and a lot of autonomy.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This makes sense. Maybe Teds style of ownership is a better fit for NHL than NBA. I just find it funny that he openly tanked to get Ovechkin but does not seem to be willing to do the same for the Wizards.
Ted f***ed the Caps up with the Jagr trade. I'm sure that stung and maybe changed his approach. Not sure why it hasn't bled over to the Wiz...

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Caps have an owner that spends to the cap, lets his staff do the work and genuinely seems like a guy who cares. And treats his staff and fans with loyalty and respect. Whats there to ”feel”??

Having the kind success Caps had for the last 18 years is something many can only dream about. And Caps actually has built a certain context of ’culture of success’. Loyalty is part of that and talking like that is bad thing that should be addressed is just weird.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I could be wrong but doesnt Teds son mostly runs the Wiz? I think its kindof how the Buss family started to run the Lakers (Some good shows on this) if you need something to watch in the offseason

Zachary Leonsis is senior vice president of strategic initiatives for Monumental Sports & Entertainment, a multi-platform sports, media, entertainment

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Random Zards observation Zach Leonsis was in the owner's courtside seats during the last couple of tank weeks (not the last home game though) so haven't seen Papa Leonsis for a while. Most of the times just himself.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad