How do NY and LA area teams get to each other's games?

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Hey guys,

Random q for you but when the Ducks play LA, do Ducks players just drive from wherever they live and meet at the Crypto.com arena? Same question going from LA to Anaheim.

By the same token, what do the NY area teams do? Like when NYR plays the Devils, do players uber to Newark or something on their own and meet at the arena?
In NY the would usually meet at the home arena and take the team bus to the other arena.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
49039576737_c5a327e5f5_b.jpg

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I went to a Baltimore Orioles game last summer at Camden Yards. They were playing the Nationals. I was told the Nats drove themselves to Baltimore like they would do for home games.

Not sure if Hockey players do this too

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo and Toronto bus back and forth. I know Buffalo and Pittsburgh do that to when playing in the other barn.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You can get anywhere on the Subway, right?

Brad Marsh used to take the subway to get to home games and practices when he played in Toronto. He also had an old beater of a truck that he would work on himself too, but I remember him taking the TTC at home and that was nuts to me.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I'm guessing you're joking but the Devils actually took school buses to game 7 of the ECF in 2003.
That because the bus they were supposed to have in Ottawa “broke down.” I’m pretty sure Lou’s teams have travelled with their own buses since that incident.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
NHL players are very conscious of their carbon footprint, so of course they arrive by bicycle

I think Chara used to bike to the TD garden sometimes.

But that was more of a fitness freak thing than A carbon footprint thing.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I recall under Carlyle the Ducks would stay in a hotel because he wanted them to treat it like a regular road game

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Taking the LIRR to Brooklyn was just dandy back in the day. I'm a Bruins fan near Boston but I had a chance to see Isles-Pens at UBS back in 2021, took the train out from Penn Station, which was nice(I was in Manhattan for the BU-Cornell game).

Reactions: SirJW

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I don't know about the current batch of Rangers but quite a few years back a family member was the chauffeur for a Rangers star who had a place in Manhattan. He used to bring the player from his place to MSG or the training facility while the player chilled in the back rather than deal with NY metro traffic. When the player got traded, my family member retired because the easy money was over!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
They meet at my house, and then if I feel like it, I give them a ride to the arena. Then they will owe me big time!

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Teams stays at a nearby hotel after the morning skate. The visiting teams in the NY area usually stay at a hotel In Manhattan. They do the three game tour of the Rangers, Islanders and Devils. They bus to Long Island and NJ.

The Rangers usually skate in the morning at the Devils or Islanders and then go to a local hotel for their meals and naps. Bus leaves for the game after the nap.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I agree. If this is a one off type game where LA was on a homestand and the schedule sneaks in an Ana road game then LA is back for a home game, then the players would meet at the arena or possibly at their practice facility and go from there.

Not sure if Kings players would like getting home from Crypto arena following the 45 minute bus ride back from Anaheim. But, guess it would come down to which is more convenient to where the majority of players live.

Rangers/Isles. I know the Rangers players practice in Rye, NY. I'd say for them, it's better to meet at the practice facility than having to get to MSG. Marc Staal, family guy was in the burbs, while the single players were in Manhattan.
Rye was 23-24 years ago. Greenburgh, NY. The Rangers players are split between living in Manhattan,Westchester County and Connecticut. Some players carpool together from Manhattan. The Russians and Kreider live in CT.

Sometimes the Rangers skate the practice facility or at the Garden. It depends if the building is being used that morning. They go stay at a local hotel if they skate in the city before the game.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
That because the bus they were supposed to have in Ottawa “broke down.” I’m pretty sure Lou’s teams have travelled with their own buses since that incident.
I mean, they won so I wouldn't be surprised if Lou made them do it in the finals too. 🤣

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
What I wonder is if the Islanders and Devils travel differently when playing each other on the road as oppose to going to MSG. And if the Rangers have any difference between traveling to road games in LI vs NJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad