How do mediocre players achieve lengthy careers in the NHL?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
you can just be very consistent and not wear down a la Ray Whitney. Depends on how hard you play, how well you train, nutrition, etc

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
There's times when I watch a game and the commentator mentions a name that I did not expect to hear after such a long time because the player seemed so vanilla to me when they entered the league. But somehow they found a niche and role to play, perhaps not even living up to their orginal expectations potential. Name them.

Media guys, who are overwhelemingly aveage themselves, love these guys. Take us here in Ottawa, Don Brennnan will write column after column on Mark Borowiecki or Curtis Lazar's character, but will write barely a sentence on Mike Hoffman or Erik Karlsson. It's basically lowest common denominator pap. And then they guys get re-signed even though many of them are replacement-level scum.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Because if you compare them to other hockey players around the world, they aren't mediocre anymore.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
There are a bunch of things that will keep limited players in the league long-term. The keys tend to be a very professional attitude to give young players wisdom, knowing your role, be fairly specialized at less glamourous things (shot blocking, penalty killing, toughness, and faceoffs). Also, if a player is fairly limited, being a quality to good skater always helps aging, some guys when they lose a step in their late 20's/early 30's are shot, as the game increasingly gets quicker. For example, this is how someone like Jay McClement has a shot at hitting a 1000 NHL games.

Jay McClement is one of the finest defensive forwards of his generation and belongs absolutely nowhere near this thread.

babblemoth

my heart and I agree
Mar 7, 2010
ON
I think part of your answer is in your question. They look vanilla, which to me meanss they've been able to figure out some part of the game that they can play well in a standard ho hum way.

That said, that isn't necessarily easy, and you need some guys like that to fill your roster, and if they have experience then that's hard to replace.

Players who are highly skilled have left the league or failed to make it because they couldn't adjust their skill set or didn't want to. These players wouldn't even look vanilla, you'd be asking "what are they doing out there?".

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Intangibles. I know people scoff at that term, but it is most certainly true. Lesser guys that have long careers it is because of things like leadership, being a professional, penalty killing, faceoffs, limiting mistakes, work ethic, attitude, knowing your role, mentoring young players, reasonable contract demands... etc. Mediocre players are often glue guys and are vital to the chemistry of a team.

I think this is the problem. Most coaches on the league are in the older side and have outdated views. Back in the day before people knew better intangibles were just as important as tangibles. If those intangibles are legitimately good then they'll manifest themselves in a tangible way. I also don't think PKing, faceoffs, and limiting mistakes are intangibles.

Last edited:

roto

Oct 26, 2009
To OP: It's simple. If everyone were Crosby or McDavid, then all players would be average guys. Because some players are better than others and NHL has 30 teams, some players must be mediocre (as you call them).

Mediocrity is always relative too. A mediocre player in NHL wouldn't necessarily be mediocre in KHL, and a mediocre player in Team Canada wouldn't be mediocre in NHL team.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It truly baffles me that Chris Neil is about to play 1,000 games. I don't understand it.

Because he is one of the best players at his "role" in the history of the NHL.

He is still effective 8 mins a game at what he does last season and so far this season.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Attitude is everything. If a player sees an opportunity for longevity by putting team needs first, and is willing to adjust to meet those requirements- they will stick around much longer than guys who are "top 6 or busters".

Stupid coaches, stupid GM's.

We know this **** goes on and yet there's a constant appeal to authority on this site.

The main difference between an HF poster and somebody in the game is connections. They're not any smarter than we are.

Humility may be another difference. Hard to say.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Humility may be another difference. Hard to say.

Humility has nothing do with it. Explain to me why they're so much better than us.

Explain to me why on the Canucks board Jim Benning knows nothing about hockey and Willie Desjardins has the IQ of a 5 year old, but in threads like this they're so much smarter than all of us.

Alain Vigneault continues to play objectively garbage players; everyone knows it and everyone sees it . Explain to me what he knows that nobody else does, you know since he's so brilliant.

Explain Mike Milbury.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Stupid coaches, stupid GM's.

We know this **** goes on and yet there's a constant appeal to authority on this site.

The main difference between an HF poster and somebody in the game is connections. They're not any smarter than we are.

The average NHL exec is not smarter than the average HFboards poster.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's some funny ****.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
bylsma1_330.jpg

Coaches (and GMs).

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I still wanna know what kind of compromising information Tanner Glass has on Alain Vigneault. It's one of hockey's great mysteries

Deaner

Oct 9, 2011
Thorburn has been around far too long
Apparently he's great in the room and tries hard (with the odd fight)

For emphasis, Chris Thorburn is Number 1(!?!?) in games played for the Thrashers/Jets franchise. He is very diligent about tapping his teammates' shin pads with his stick on the way to the dressing room, win or lose.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Im with MachineHead.

Ultimately it comes down to idiots in position of authority and the faulty assumption that any person in a position of authority must merit that position.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Because NHL coaches and GMs value things certain things that don't matter and certain players benefit from them.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not saying it's all coaches or even most coaches. There's some brilliant minds in the NHL.

I'm talking Torts, Roy, Eakins, Hartley, AV, Johnston, TORTS - you know, the real ****ing homo-habilis on the human evolution chart.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Because NHL coaches and GMs value things certain things that don't matter and certain players benefit from them.

We see it with some of the older fans here that value the same **** that these coaches do even though there's tons of data saying that this stuff doesn't matter when it comes to winning and sometimes hurts it. These guys may be smart but they're also flawed like everyone else and being older are set in their ways.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Why wouldn't they. If you are an average NHL player then you are pretty good at hockey and you can have long career as an average player in the NHL.
Makes sense.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not saying it's all coaches or even most coaches. There's some brilliant minds in the NHL.

I'm talking Torts, Roy, Eakins, Hartley, AV, Johnston, TORTS - you know, the real ****ing homo-habilis on the human evolution chart.

I honestly think that you could put together a better lineup than AV. That said he's not bad when it comes to the system, I think. At least offensively.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Humility has nothing do with it. Explain to me why they're so much better than us.

Explain to me why on the Canucks board Jim Benning knows nothing about hockey and Willie Desjardins has the IQ of a 5 year old, but in threads like this they're so much smarter than all of us.

Alain Vigneault continues to play objectively garbage players; everyone knows it and everyone sees it . Explain to me what he knows that nobody else does, you know since he's so brilliant.

Explain Mike Milbury.

We're obviously smarter than some of the clowns who run the show, but we couldn't do what Babcock, coach Q or Yzerman do.
If you were the GM of a team and I was your head coach, we might not be dead last if we had a decent roster but I doubt we'd be able to elevate whatever we got to top contender status unless we started with a stacked team.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We're obviously smarter than some of the clowns who run the show, but we couldn't do what Babcock, coach Q or Yzerman do.

The only thing is, I'm pretty sure Babcock and coach Q make decisions that boggle the minds of their fans too out of either loyalty or some outdated value judgments or players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad