How do mediocre players achieve lengthy careers in the NHL?

delled

Oct 3, 2009
There's times when I watch a game and the commentator mentions a name that I did not expect to hear after such a long time because the player seemed so vanilla to me when they entered the league. But somehow they found a niche and role to play, perhaps not even living up to their orginal expectations potential. Name them.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Nick Holden has dirty pictures of all the head coaches in the league

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Most learn there role and limitations early on and work there ass off at the things that make them successful. Repetition is a good thing. See Chris Neil.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Thorburn has been around far too long
Apparently he's great in the room and tries hard (with the odd fight)

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Work hard. Avoid injuries. Be at least useful at 1 thing (faceoff, PK, grinding, putting up "decent" offense, etc).

ramdm5

Jan 30, 2015
Sweden
Once you're in you're in. Coaches won't replace anyone for an option that might not be better.

Dallman

Spfld Indians rule!
Jul 12, 2015
Springfield, MA
Since when didn't they? Dial it back forty or fifty years, and even in the pre-expansion era you had rosters filled with the Claude Provosts, Jean-Guy Talbots, Don Marshalls, Ron Stewarts, Doug Mohnses, Eric Nesterenkos: honorable players, decent ones, might have had a quality season or two, but never mistaken for an All-Star.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There are a bunch of things that will keep limited players in the league long-term. The keys tend to be a very professional attitude to give young players wisdom, knowing your role, be fairly specialized at less glamourous things (shot blocking, penalty killing, toughness, and faceoffs). Also, if a player is fairly limited, being a quality to good skater always helps aging, some guys when they lose a step in their late 20's/early 30's are shot, as the game increasingly gets quicker. For example, this is how someone like Jay McClement has a shot at hitting a 1000 NHL games.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Stupid coaches, stupid GM's.

We know this **** goes on and yet there's a constant appeal to authority on this site.

The main difference between an HF poster and somebody in the game is connections. They're not any smarter than we are.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Niklas Hagman, Tuomo Ruutu, Lauri Korpikoski, Antti Miettinen, Sean Bergenheim.. over 500 games each.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Because what they do is a talent just like everyone else on the ice. They are the best at what they do. You may not see it on the scoresheet or in the Corsi, but what they provide to the team is greater than its whole. When they talk about "glue" players, this is who is being talked about.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Intangibles. I know people scoff at that term, but it is most certainly true. Lesser guys that have long careers it is because of things like leadership, being a professional, penalty killing, faceoffs, limiting mistakes, work ethic, attitude, knowing your role, mentoring young players, reasonable contract demands... etc. Mediocre players are often glue guys and are vital to the chemistry of a team.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

We know this **** goes on and yet there's a constant appeal to authority on this site.

The main difference between an HF poster and somebody in the game is connections. They're not any smarter than we are.

I don't think an NHL coached and managed by forum posters would do much better.

Safarite

Jan 19, 2016

I think you think too highly of yourself.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
because mediocre means average such that you're pointing out that something is simply 'not good'. Somebody has to fall within this definition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad