How do int/adv players REALLY feel about n00bs on the ice?

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Nope, I'm in the Phoenix area.

We've done the crossovers around the circle at my Friday night class. I can do the ones counterclockwise, but not so much the other way. When we did it backwards, the coach was great - he told me to do the c-cut ones for the time being, until I'm ready to move on with that.

I think a big issue is that the beginner league has such a wide range. There are people who show up barely able to skate - they can move forward, but can't stop at all. But we also have people who have played hockey for a while and can do everything, but they are there with their sons (who are just learning to play). So to keep them from getting bored, the true beginners sometimes get swept under the rug a bit.

I do know that my skills have gotten 1000 times better since I first started - but I also feel that unless I seriously work on my skating, I'm never going to advance above being a mediocre D-league player. Which is fine - I'm perfectly content being in the D-league and never moving up, but I don't want to always be the 'pity player' that people only pass to because they feel sorry for them.

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
Lol, I couldn't take slapshots when I started because I'd lose balance and topple over, not being much of a skater at the time. I agree she should go to public skating. It isn't much fun, but it really is essential to just keep skating as much as you can during the learning process. During a game isn't the right time to learn crossovers/stopping etc.

Yeah, sorry, actually she tries to take slapshots, but she can't. She has horrible technique and basically tries to shoot from the shoulders, which looks really stupid, and the pucks are travelling below pass speed... :shakehead

What I don't get is how on earth she thinks she doesn't need to skate. When I started out I would skate the WHOLE WARMUP, cause I knew I do not have to worry about shooting as long as I can't skate myself free, and get to the net. Then when skating was down I went stickhandling and passing with similar skilled guys during warmups. Then I bought a goal and a shooting pad, and shot so many shots my goal looks all bent and old.

But again, this gal wouldn't listen, so I think she'll have the same skill level in 3 yrs from now too.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
But again, this gal wouldn't listen, so I think she'll have the same skill level in 3 yrs from now too.

I keep telling myself that as long as I keep skating/playing 3 times a week, improvement is inevitable. I can't possibly get worse, right?

It's paying off, since last night the coach came up to me and said that in all honesty, he's seen so much improvement in my skating since I started coming to that class. Yeah me! Another coach told me that a couple of weeks ago - that my skating is much better and I'm getting faster, and a teammate told me my positioning is markedly improved.

So I'm on the right track!

Today I'm going to an all day hockey camp for adults. Ice in the morning, water park in the late afternoon. Should be lots of fun, plus lots of learning.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I keep telling myself that as long as I keep skating/playing 3 times a week, improvement is inevitable. I can't possibly get worse, right?

It's paying off, since last night the coach came up to me and said that in all honesty, he's seen so much improvement in my skating since I started coming to that class. Yeah me! Another coach told me that a couple of weeks ago - that my skating is much better and I'm getting faster, and a teammate told me my positioning is markedly improved.

Today I'm going to an all day hockey camp for adults. Ice in the morning, water park in the late afternoon. Should be lots of fun, plus lots of learning.

I thought you said no pink tape?

O well. I'm still interested.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The pink tape belongs to the little girl - she's my daughter.

I stick to red or black. Usually black. But she's got the whole pink ensemble - pink tape, pink Coyotes jersey, pink socks.

That's what I get for looking at an avatar on my phone. All I could see was a helmet and pink tape.

Lol.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I know this is slightly off topic. But for those who are having trouble even going forward, I'd suggest starting with roller. Think of it as training wheels, you have a thicker foundation on wheels so won't fall as easily. Google in your area for outdoor rinks, buy a 20$ wood stick and a street puck and I guarantee you'll improve on the ice!

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
The pink tape belongs to the little girl - she's my daughter.

I stick to red or black. Usually black. But she's got the whole pink ensemble - pink tape, pink Coyotes jersey, pink socks.

Here's a question for you. When you play shinny or pickup (if you do at all, not sure since I haven't been following this thread lately) do you find that you receive preferential treatment? By that I mean, do opposing players not only stop checking you when you have the puck, but they poke it or pass it back to you when you lose it or other similar things?

I was at a pickup last night, the beginner's level before my game was going on and they were short people so I joined one team to help out. There were two girls on my team and everyone on the opposing team went out of their way to give them preferential treatment. There was one point where everything stopped and everybody stopped moving while the one girl stood at the top of the crease whacking at a puck over and over again while the goalie kept his pad down and didn't cover it up.

It became quite obvious to me that they only did this cause they were pretty girls. It seems a little over the top imo. It's fine to give beginners a few extra touches and more room to maneuver, but what they were doing isn't going to make those players any better.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Here's a question for you. When you play shinny or pickup (if you do at all, not sure since I haven't been following this thread lately) do you find that you receive preferential treatment? By that I mean, do opposing players not only stop checking you when you have the puck, but they poke it or pass it back to you when you lose it or other similar things?

I was at a pickup last night, the beginner's level before my game was going on and they were short people so I joined one team to help out. There were two girls on my team and everyone on the opposing team went out of their way to give them preferential treatment. There was one point where everything stopped and everybody stopped moving while the one girl stood at the top of the crease whacking at a puck over and over again while the goalie kept his pad down and didn't cover it up.

It became quite obvious to me that they only did this cause they were pretty girls. It seems a little over the top imo. It's fine to give beginners a few extra touches and more room to maneuver, but what they were doing isn't going to make those players any better.

I don't blame them. Who wouldn't want a little post game assistance from the girls

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Sometimes, yes. Obviously no checking or any hard hits. I've had a few times where when I get the puck, they'll let me skate with it or take a shot. I think it's more a beginner thing than a girl thing. Plus, they don't keep score anyway so it really doesn't matter. Every two minutes we do a line change, and it feels like a fresh game anyway.

When doing drills, I think they're just as tough, because otherwise how do I get better? But in scrimmages and the dropins, I do get a little easier treatment. And often the player defending against me will give me tips. I do appreciate it, but I don't expect that to go on forever.

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009

You do the right thing and do clinics and camp. I know a lot of guys who do not really improve because they think if they play 2-3 times a week improvement is just going to happen. Not really. To improve you have to try and practice things you're not good at, and most people don't do it, cause it's not as much fun as doing something they can. Stepping out of your comfort zone will bring improvement, if you keep at it.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
To improve you have to try and practice things you're not good at, and most people don't do it, cause it's not as much fun as doing something they can. Stepping out of your comfort zone will bring improvement, if you keep at it.

Great advice. I see a lot of great players who have terrible backhand shots, for example, because they don't want to do the work to practice it.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
The camp was great! We did it all...
Backwards skating
Backwards crossovers
Turns
Passing
Backhand passing
Shooting drills
Hockey with a tennis ball
Small area hockey where we had to pass to a teammate in the corner anytime there was a turnover
Full ice scrimmage

It was fun and helpful and I think I had the best scrimmage of my life on the small ice one. I actually stole the puck from someone, intercepted several passes and ended up with a bunch if SOG. It was great.

And I still can't do backwards crossovers BUT I have a better idea of the drills I should be doing during public sessions to get to the point where I can do them.

I understand why people don't like to practice the things they're bad at, it makes you feel like crap to suck at something and to be reminded of your suckiness. But the feeling of accomplishment is so much greater when you finally do get it!

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
I didn't read the whole thread, but for me it depends on the context of the skate.

If it's a laid back pickup session I like to see beginners out there. I'll give them some advice or just say hey way to get out here.

If it's a league game or a competitive pickup session it takes away from the skate if players aren't in the same ballpark skill wise.

Camps and clinics, as long as they aren't in front of me on skating drills.

My .02 from an intermediate player/good skater

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
I didn't read the whole thread, but for me it depends on the context of the skate.

If it's a laid back pickup session I like to see beginners out there. I'll give them some advice or just say hey way to get out here.

If it's a league game or a competitive pickup session it takes away from the skate if players aren't in the same ballpark skill wise.

Camps and clinics, as long as they aren't in front of me on skating drills.

My .02 from an intermediate player/good skater

How should us beginners go about determining whether a pickup session is competitive or laid back?

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
How should us beginners go about determining whether a pickup session is competitive or laid back?

If it's a public open hockey or stick time session then nobody has a right to get annoyed at anyone's skill level. You have every right to be there.

I'm talking more organized skates like a weekly private pickup or organized weekly pickup. They are usually the same guys every week. The games are friendly, but competitive. Skill level is usually similar. It just kind of hurts the game if a guy gets out there that's a true beginner.

Really depends though. Just play hard, pass the puck to teammates skating by you, don't take long shifts, and play clean and guys shouldn't have a problem. If they do and aren't currently being paid to play for a living then point that out and tell them to **** off. That attitude should be reserved for pros. Not wannabees. Everything is relative. The best players in my men's league would be embarrassed by top notch pro players so no reason for anyone to have an attitude.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
If it's a public open hockey or stick time session then nobody has a right to get annoyed at anyone's skill level. You have every right to be there.

I'm talking more organized skates like a weekly private pickup or organized weekly pickup. They are usually the same guys every week. The games are friendly, but competitive. Skill level is usually similar. It just kind of hurts the game if a guy gets out there that's a true beginner.

Really depends though. Just play hard, pass the puck to teammates skating by you, don't take long shifts, and play clean and guys shouldn't have a problem. If they do and aren't currently being paid to play for a living then point that out and tell them to **** off. That attitude should be reserved for pros. Not wannabees. Everything is relative. The best players in my men's league would be embarrassed by top notch pro players so no reason for anyone to have an attitude.

Gotcha gotcha, I was just a bit worried. We have a mid day pick up game and a night time adults only pick up that I'm a bit apprehensive about going to haha

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
I went to another organized pick-up game today and had a nice pass, a SOG, and got told by a couple of the skaters that my skating was better today than last time I played - which was only last week.

I'm enjoying it, I told my linemates up front that I'm not fast, so if I get the puck I'm going to look up the ice and pass it to whomever I see going that direction. It worked out OK, led to some good movement towards the net.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
My dad's afternoon group occasionally has some women. If there is any preferential treatment it's minor - maybe those that are prone to hook and hold at times are less likely to do so with the women.

The only one who gets preferential treatment is the one guy who is over 80 years old (group is mostly in their 50s & 60s with some in their 40s & 70 years olds). Most of the players don't check him and let him pass the puck.

Personally I usually don't care what the skill level of those that are playing in 'pickup' or in league as long as they are giving an effort. Every player has some shortcoming to some degree or other.

Agree with Sherwood Sniper a couple pages back. What should be taught is that the warmups are for the goalies not the shooters; it you want to tee up a slap shot from 3 feet away practice against the boards.

Any pickup games/groups I have played with frown on the guy who tees up slap shots inside the hash marks.
1) Do you want one of the goalies to leave due to a stupid injury and be stuck playing with only 1 goalie.
2) Many goalies have older and/or lower level equipment and don't have the disposable income do blow on better stuff. Especially true of those just starting the position
3) In a pickup game IMO it's just a douchey thing to tee up a shot close to the goalie - try a deke, a wrist shot, a back hand, something else. Save that slapshot for league game situations. If you are trying to impress someone - you aren't; if all you have is that one shot - it's time to work on something else.

spizzle420

May 22, 2008
T.O.
There's this dude at shinny that thinks he knows what he's saying but he's really got no hockey IQ... has enough "skill" tho to make him average.

Telling people to take shorter shifts when he doesn't put in 100% out there... or really make any decent play.

I was carrying the puck from my blueline looking to pass the puck up but everyone was covered... rather than risking this, I fly up the ice,... and I assume this guy yells "WHY DIDNT YOU MOVE IT UP FASTER?!?" right as I blow by their D for a breakaway..... and I missed the top corner.... FUUUUU

I turned around and put my arms out "what?" ... no reply ...

**** dumb players with "skill"... especially ones that talk.

n00bs on the other hand, I couldn't get mad... they need to start somewhere.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
You should be fine at drop in. Unless its specified as an advanced drop in, then all players are welcome. I'm a skilled player and I play a lot of drop in with new players and I always just stay out of their way when they have the puck. I could easily go take it from them, but its just drop in hockey and everyone should get the chance to handle the puck so I just let them skate by me. When they are on my team I always try to set them up with passes in front of the net.

The one thing that annoys me with new players is when they don't pass. Some of the new players get the puck and just put their head down, skate it into the zone and fire a bad angle 40 footer no matter how many teammates are with them. I always pass to the new guys when they are open or skating hard to the net so it annoys me when they don't return the favor.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Kind of surprised to hear a comment like this, although I respect the honesty. I personally don't think the desire to "win?" should alter a decision to make the smartest hockey play. I'm unsure how someone actually has the time to plan who is good enough to be gifted with a pass.

Your comment doesn't make sense. Anyone with any sort of skill should always have time to decide whether or not to pass to specific player as opposed to making a different decision. And you reference making the smarter hockey play, but you fail to grasp that the smarter hockey play means making a play that puts your team in a better position than they were in before you made the play which in some cases means holding the puck or passing it to a different player as opposed to a teammate who is wide open, but might not be in the rigth spot to succeed once he/she gets the puck.

On my main team we have a bender on the team which is fine, no one complains and he's a great team player and smart player on the ice. But if he's wide open in the neutral zone and one of my teammates gives him the puck in a spot where he might then turn it over as opposed to looking for a different passing outlet I consider that a bad hockey play. Or iif someone rockets him a pass in the slot for a one timer I call that a bad hockey play by the passer since you should always know who you are passing to and what they are capable of. Passing to people just because they are open is not smart hockey.

Of course I'm talking about league play, not drop in.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
You could have worded that a bit better, but I'd agree...in close league games, I take the shot or keep the puck if I don't think my teammate will handle it. If we're way up or down or in drop in or practice, I'll make the pass.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Yea I guess I'm different. I could care less if they "might" screw up the play... my thinking is they are there, a player on the ice, I have to give them the same chance I want to be given, you never know what will happen next. I feel glad though I don't have to try and decide who is good enough to create a play with, I just keep my head up and plug away every shift.

STC the point about one-timers is a good one. In general players pass too hard for the receiver to let loose properly, a weaker player you would try and be more gentle with the set up.

JR97

May 16, 2012
If you're in the right spot I'll pass it to you. I don't even look to see who you are. There's an a-hole on one of my teams who invented hockey, apparently. This is a pretty low skilled league with lots of older and noob players on the team. A few times he said to me "don't pass it to her" or "why did you pass it to her?". ummm... because she was open?

I play to win for sure, but I play to win right which I think means win as a team. Besides, I find no satisfaction in a win if it's just the few of us more experienced players lighting things up. This guy also invented hockey strategy, positioning, built the rink, and founded Park City. :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad