How do int/adv players REALLY feel about n00bs on the ice?

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
I've been playing about 6 months now and while I'm not good by any stretch of the imagination, I am definitely making progress. I can catch passes, make passes, and I skate a lot faster than I did when starting. I also know where to be in different situations and can be counted on to be in pretty much the right place as a winger. Sure, I have flubs and turnovers etc. but so does everyone else, even NHL players.

I've been playing in my comfortable D-league and I've got another regular game that I play on where the others know my abilities and limitations and seem to be happy to have me there. There's a gap in the schedule with the different leagues, and so I'm looking to get in an additional game during the weeks when one or the other league doesn't play.

I've played a couple of times with a 'structured drop-in' type group where there is a sign-up ahead of time, planned lines, etc. I'm by far the worst player, but the others are nice and don't go after me too hard, they give me advice, and for the most part don't make me feel like I'm a total idiot. I had a couple of times where I did what they suggested and it led to a goal, so a couple of assists for me and some 'good job' from the rest of the team.

I'm considering doing a drop-in game this afternoon, it's an over-30 game. It's not a regularly scheduled thing, this week and next and then it's done. The time and location are pretty much perfect, so a good way to throw in a replacement game for the league that isn't happening tomorrow. Someone mentioned that the over-30 crowd tends to be a bit advanced at this particular rink (although they may choose to show up for either the intermediate or advanced drop-ins they have scheduled instead.) Then he said you get better by playing against better players, so why not?

How do the more advanced players tend to feel about new players? I can see that on an actual team, it would be annoying to always have to cover for someone who can't pull their own weight. But in a drop-in situation, do people tend to be pretty relaxed about it? So far I've only had good experiences everywhere I've played, but I'm sure there are some mean people out there who don't like the new players getting in their way.

Geo73

Jun 17, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland.
Everyone plays for fun and for the laughs on the ice. If there's a rookie on the ice with us we are happy to give advice and support. If you can skate and play with the puck go for it. Playing with good players is what will bring your abilities up. Don't be nervous, just go out there to have fun. When you are off the ice watch what's going on and see what you can learn from the other guys.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It sounds like i'm going to be you in about 8 months. Should be starting a men's league in about 2 months myself (hopefully).I'm curious as to what people say as well.

Based on what i've read on these boards though, everyone is going to be really, really supportive. Especially in lower leagues and drop ins. I hope i'm right.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Thanks for the encouragement! So far, I haven't run into anyone who has been a jerk about it. But then, I've only played with other newish people (and if you're a B-league or C-league player playing in D-league, it wouldn't be cool at all to rag on those with less experience and skill, join the right league if you want to be challenged) or in games that don't really matter. In one of the structured drop-in games, we don't even keep score - so it would be kind of weird to get mad at someone for 'losing' a game where the team members change each week depending upon who signs up and where no scores or stats are kept!

I do pay attention to the advice from others, and I've made huge strides doing that. A couple of weeks ago one of my buddies told me to really try to not go offside. It's not a huge issue with me (maybe once every 3-4 games I'll end up on the wrong side of the line) but I've been paying close attention and haven't had any slip-ups. Last week I was told to push the puck up the ice if there was someone ahead of me since I can't skate as fast as my other linemates - doing that led to the two goals I got assists for in the game. And keeping two hands on the stick - that's the one I have most trouble with. If the puck is just barely out of reach, sometimes I can get it by taking one hand off the stick and extending my arm, but then of course it's easy for someone to take it away from me. I figure it's better to block the pass from player A to player B, even if I lose the puck than to let player B catch it easily, but sometimes I forget and take a hand off the stick when I really shouldn't.

I'm to the point now when I can start to see actual strengths and weaknesses and work on them, rather than just being totally lost and trying to keep my head above water. Last night at the instructional league I attend, there were some people there with more experience, some with less. Only one person was newer than me. But I found that I was actually better at some of the drills than some of the more experienced players, which was a nice thing! I'm so used to always being the worst in everything! But some of the things we worked on last night were just like drills I had done before in speedskating, so I actually had a leg up on some of the others!

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
As said before I appreciate anyone who gives it a shot.

In open hockey if there new, I'm not looking for them to blast one timers top shelf I just like to see them working hard along the boards, checking, and doing dirty work like screening.

That being said, I don't like when they have a temper and start using their stick to voice their anger

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
In my experience it all depends on how the noob acts on the ice.

If you are skating hard, playing clean, and doing your best, nobody will give the new guy a hard time about being the worst player out there, even if you cost your side a couple scoring chances each shift.

Now if the noob is out there cherry picking, winding up to shoot every time the puck ends up on his stick, clutching and hooking the faster skaters, guys are going to get upset and a fight may occasionally break out after someone has had enough.

From your responses it seems like you are the first guy, so keep it up. The only way to get better is to play against better competition. There will be the occasional jerk off who will try to tell you to sit on the end of the bench for a bit because "the game is close", my advice would be to politely tell him that it's open hockey and you are here to play like everyone else.

flyers10

Apr 12, 2011
AZ
If the game was set up strictly for advanced players they might get cranky with a noob on the ice since they are there for fun but a very fast paced game. If you show and that is how it is the worst that will happen is they won't pass the puck ever. Some will try to involve you but others want the game to be a B/A speed. Call the rink and ask them what kind of people show up and if it would be a enjoyable experience for your level to go.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
If the game was set up strictly for advanced players they might get cranky with a noob on the ice since they are there for fun but a very fast paced game. If you show and that is how it is the worst that will happen is they won't pass the puck ever. Some will try to involve you but others want the game to be a B/A speed. Call the rink and ask them what kind of people show up and if it would be a enjoyable experience for your level to go.

Very true. If the open game is listed for advanced players only, you are better off not skating with them. You are just going to upset people.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Very true. If the open game is listed for advanced players only, you are better off not skating with them. You are just going to upset people.

No, they have three games on three different days - one intermediate, one advanced and one over-30. I have no idea how fast the over-30 game is going to be, it may be some of the int/adv people showing up for it, maybe not.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
No, they have three games on three different days - one intermediate, one advanced and one over-30. I have no idea how fast the over-30 game is going to be, it may be some of the int/adv people showing up for it, maybe not.

Go back to my original post then. You shouldn't have any problems. Good luck and have fun

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Depends on the player and situation.

In pickup, some great players will try and pass to and encourage (or at least tolerate) new players, and some guys are complete dicks who won't pass, won't talk, and might even chirp newer players.

In a game situation (which would be strange to have that discrepancy in skill level), most great players will just go around newer players and try to do more on their own.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Play hard, play clean, don't take 5 minute shifts and nobody will complain about you.

If they do, ignore them.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

flyers10

Apr 12, 2011
AZ

That schedule sounds like a rink near me. Where are you located?

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Yep, probably a rink near you - I'm in Surprise.

I won't be there today but if I don't make it onto the roster for the puckhead game next week, I'll try it next Saturday. I did public session w/my daughter today, boy what a zoo!

flyers10

Apr 12, 2011
AZ
Yep, probably a rink near you - I'm in Surprise.

I won't be there today but if I don't make it onto the roster for the puckhead game next week, I'll try it next Saturday. I did public session w/my daughter today, boy what a zoo!

Ok, I play at Peoria. These are some temp pick up games until the fall season starts. The Sunday game is the C league level. Tuesday is the B league players and Saturday will be a mix of some 30+ C level players mixed with the advanced 30+ (b level). The pace may be a bit faster than ur used too but I'd say give it a whirl if u can't do puckheads. See ya out there.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Depends what level you're playing at, but since you're just beginning I'm assuming you're not playing anything competitive which means I honestly would not care how good or bad you are. It's all about going out for a skate

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Ok, I play at Peoria. These are some temp pick up games until the fall season starts. The Sunday game is the C league level. Tuesday is the B league players and Saturday will be a mix of some 30+ C level players mixed with the advanced 30+ (b level). The pace may be a bit faster than ur used too but I'd say give it a whirl if u can't do puckheads. See ya out there.

Yes, that's the rink. I don't know when I'll find out if I'm in on the Puckheads game but I'm planning on doing the polar one if I don't get in. I think the Monday Puckheads one I've been attending is similar, with a mix of c and b players. I'm always on second line, and I think that's more the c players. I know they're not as fast as the first line ( which seems to be solid b players) but they are faster and better than my d league team.

I don't feel that I'm anywhere near the level of the other Puckheads players but that doesn't mean I've felt that I can't contribute. I try not to get in the way of my teammates but I do get in the way of the other teams passes sometimes, which is a good thing! I've noticed my right wrist has been a little sore after some of my games w/the better players and it took me a while to figure out why. It's because I've been able to intercept some passes and they tend to be made a lot harder and faster than the passes from d leaguers. I'm thrilled to be able to do that at all, so the wrist doesn't bother me (and the pain is very minor, goes away quickly after the game).

Do you do the Friday night I league? If so, I may have skated with you before.

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
I've not been playing very long at all and my skating is probably best described as 'erratic' but even though, due to the shortage of ice time over here is the UK, I often find myself playing with much better players I've never felt any animosity. Indeed I find that, as long as you make an effort and don't coast about the ice, the more experienced players offer loads of encouragement.

I was at a pick up session earlier today where usually we have the numbers to split into two teams of top, middle and bottom lines so similar levels of quality will play against each other at line changes, but due to low turn out we ended up playing 5v5 +1 rolling off the bench. I was by far the least capable player on the ice but, as I said, I made the effort and the better players seem to appreciate that. They didn't treat me like a traffic cone and skate around me, even though there is realistically a 50/50 chance of me being able to do anything useful with a pass they send my way they still kept coming. I find the thing that the more experienced players respect most is the ability to take a hit and not act like a little girl about it.

We all have to start somewhere.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
I find the thing that the more experienced players respect most is the ability to take a hit and not act like a little girl about it.

I haven't had that come up yet - I've only played in non-checking situations, and the others really don't want to run into me because...well, I'm a girl!

Someone did bump me the other day, didn't knock me over and was really barely even a minor bit of contact, but he felt pretty bad about it. He stopped skating, asked if I was OK, etc. I've seen some collisions, almost always inadvertent, and they don't seem to spend as much time checking on the person who goes down - but just a little jostle to a n00b chick and it was all apologies!

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
I haven't had that come up yet - I've only played in non-checking situations, and the others really don't want to run into me because...well, I'm a girl!

Someone did bump me the other day, didn't knock me over and was really barely even a minor bit of contact, but he felt pretty bad about it. He stopped skating, asked if I was OK, etc. I've seen some collisions, almost always inadvertent, and they don't seem to spend as much time checking on the person who goes down - but just a little jostle to a n00b chick and it was all apologies!

Sorry if I caused any offence with the 'act like a girl' comment.

There was a female player playing with me today who said to a couple of the guys "why aren't you checking me like you do the guys?" or words to that effect. It is hard though, as much as I try to adopt the mindset of 'if its a checking game then they're fair game' it is difficult to carry through on it.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Sorry if I caused any offence with the 'act like a girl' comment.

There was a female player playing with me today who said to a couple of the guys "why aren't you checking me like you do the guys?" or words to that effect. It is hard though, as much as I try to adopt the mindset of 'if its a checking game then they're fair game' it is difficult to carry through on it.

No, no offense at all! It's just funny to hear it seeing as how I am a girl.

I don't know that any of the adult coed leagues around here allow checking. I know that one of the rinks is no checking of any kind. The leagues I play in are all non-checking so it's never come up. Of course, there is contact from time to time, but it's almost always accidental and if it's a guy hitting a girl, he feels really bad about it.

Admittedly, it is getting a little more physical and chippier in my d-league as well as the adult rookie class I attend. Last week I saw someone get pushed pretty forcefully into the boards and we were all really surprised that the ref didn't do anything about it - it was a pretty hard hit from behind, and the person who got hit was kind of slow about getting up. Our coach HAS noticed and has told us that now that everyone is getting more confident in their abilities to skate and move the puck, people are getting more competitive and we do need to stay on the right side of what is OK and what isn't.

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
In my experience, don't screw up line changes and everyone will be happy. You don't need experience to figure out how to make a correct line change, just common sense and consideration. The better players will have zero tolerance for double shifting.

My personal pet peeve: Don't stickcheck away from the play. It's so annoying. If the player is awaiting a pass, that's a different story, but don't go crazy.

In general, noobs are tolerated, tools are not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad