How do free agents choose where to go?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I don't know if you're married or not but I know for a fact that my wife would be extremely happy if I was making an extra half a million bucks a year....even if we had to move to Buffalo for a few years.

If you were only earning $50k, then hell yes - both Mrs Joe and myself would move anywhere on the planet for a half million a year.

But if you`re earning $4mil, but you could be earning $4.5 mil - in Buffalo... well that`s a much tougher decision to make.

When I moved to the Yukon (hence, you now, the username) I actually took a slight pay cut to do so. I thought it was worthwhile because I would have rather lived in Whitehorse than the town I was living in.

grgftrs

Dec 23, 2011
If you were only earning $50k, then hell yes - both Mrs Joe and myself would move anywhere on the planet for a half million a year.

But if you`re earning $4mil, but you could be earning $4.5 mil - in Buffalo... well that`s a much tougher decision to make.

When I moved to the Yukon (hence, you now, the username) I actually took a slight pay cut to do so. I thought it was worthwhile because I would have rather lived in Whitehorse than the town I was living in.

I don't know, an extra $500,000 per year for 4, 5 or 6 years.....that's 2 or 3 million dollars more for retirement. That's a LOT of money except maybe the highest paid players.

That's a beautiful summer home in Florida for the retirement days. Set's your children's future.

But seriously, if you don't think it's always about the money except for the upper, upper echelon .....you're dreaming.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I know its tradition to say that nobody wants to play in Winnipeg, but its simply not true anymore. Chipman and co. have managed to establish a pretty good rep around the league. And once again I will re-iterate, making USD in a Canadian market is a HUGE advantage.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I don't know, an extra $500,000 per year for 4, 5 or 6 years.....that's 2 or 3 million dollars more for retirement. That's a LOT of money except maybe the highest paid players.

That's a beautiful summer home in Florida for the retirement days. Set's your children's future.

But seriously, if you don't think it's always about the money except for the upper, upper echelon .....you're dreaming.

You say it's 2 or 3 million dollars more.

But take my example - $4mil vs $4.5 mil. Over 6 years it's a difference between $24 mil and $27 mil. That doesn't sound like such a big difference.

Maybe it's just me, but I've consistently taken jobs that maximize my time spent at home, and not that maximize my income. But I don't think I'm the only one.

And come on - do you not seriously think Byfuglien couldn't have signed for a little bit more by going UFA? It's not only about the money for these guys.

grgftrs

Dec 23, 2011
You say it's 2 or 3 million dollars more.

But take my example - $4mil vs $4.5 mil. Over 6 years it's a difference between $24 mil and $27 mil. That doesn't sound like such a big difference.

Maybe it's just me, but I've consistently taken jobs that maximize my time spent at home, and not that maximize my income. But I don't think I'm the only one.

And come on - do you not seriously think Byfuglien couldn't have signed for a little bit more by going UFA? It's not only about the money for these guys.

Brock Osweiler followed the money when he left Denver for Houston. According to multiple reports, Osweiler’s contract with the Texans will pay him about $18 million a year. The Broncos were offering about $16 million a year.

What's a couple of million a year when you're making that much money?

Example #2 - Curtis Glencross - “I love my time in Calgary and the organization, but you learn that eventually it’s a business and you’re just a number,” Glencross told the Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis. “If I could do it again … as much as I love (Calgary) and call it home and met great people, at the same time, when it’s time for you to cash in, you have to take advantage and cash in. You can’t take a pay-cut or hometown discount because things change.” http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/c...e-didnt-take-a-hometown-discount-with-flames/

Example #3 - Andrew Ladd

It's rarely not about the money - it is the exception when an athlete takes less. Other factors begin to come into play if the money is somewhat similar.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The only thing positive about Winnipeg that would attract players is the fan base. Hockey players are like rock stars in Winnipeg and some players love that.

That's not the only thing. Far from it. I really get tired of the Winterpeg/mosquitos/blah/blah/blah. Winnipeg has a lot going for it. It is not LA or NY but it is a good place to live - even if you are rich and don't have to. No rose coloured glasses. I'm aware of the warts. But everyplace has warts.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Brock Osweiler followed the money when he left Denver for Houston. According to multiple reports, Osweiler’s contract with the Texans will pay him about $18 million a year. The Broncos were offering about $16 million a year.

Example #2 - Curtis Glencross - “I love my time in Calgary and the organization, but you learn that eventually it’s a business and you’re just a number,†Glencross told the Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis. “If I could do it again … as much as I love (Calgary) and call it home and met great people, at the same time, when it’s time for you to cash in, you have to take advantage and cash in. You can’t take a pay-cut or hometown discount because things change.†http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/c...e-didnt-take-a-hometown-discount-with-flames/

Example #3 - Andrew Ladd

It's rarely not about the money - it is the exception when an athlete takes less. Other factors begin to come into play if the money is somewhat similar.

Oswieler is an idiot though. Playing in Denver would have made his career. Horrible, horrible career decision on his part.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

That's a huge oversimplification and really irrelevant in the discussion of NHL players. Contracts in pro football are not guaranteed. The devil is in the details and contract structure, how much is guaranteed, when it is paid out, how is it structured in terms of opportunities for the team to cut you. The ____ per year isn't worth the piece of paper it is written on.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Winning i think is number 1.

I think for most players, they want to win. I think what you will see in the future is if the Jets become a legit contender, people will want to sign here. I think some won't want 2 cuz of their perception of Winnipeg but... some will. There are some guys who don't want to sign in LA or NY also tho so it's not like it's an exclusively WPG thing.

Family plays a role - Look at BUFF as a perfect example, Look at Hamonic wanting to come here.

Money? Oh yeah for sure plays a role but i'm not sure if a guy had an offer from a contender for 5 million a year or a bottom feeder for 6 million a year, if he'd take the 6.. I think that depends on the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad