How do free agents choose where to go?

Round John

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site

Derfel*

Money - the team isn't going to pay much above market value, but a player's money will go a long way in Winnipeg

Location - other than Byfuglien (and maybe Bogosian) I can't imagine players are falling over each other to winter in the 'Peg

Taxation - worse than most, better than some

Winning - what's that?

Coaching - I think players would like to play under Maurice, but it won't be a draw, just not a negative

Systems - up to this season, we were a physical team - some players would prefer not to play that way

Family - Hamonic.

I'd add an 8th category that sort of fits under "location", but I'd say "Market" - is it a traditional hockey market? Is there a history to the team? Many players still go for that sort of thing. There would be few players who grew up dreaming of putting on a Jets jersey...

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I think Location/Family go together. Consider how the wife of a player's opinion is between Florida and Winnipeg. For a player, they travel so often and spend such few days at home, it's a far bigger factor for them (their family) than the players themselves.

I agree that Market is a factor. The fishbowl effect in any Canadian city probably turns off quite a few players. We aren't the worse (Toronto/Montreal), but there are many alternatives.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If I'm a UFA I would be looking at Canada. No question! You are making USD, spending CDN plus the cost of living is generally lower with the possible exception of Van and Tor. Canadian teams have also shown that they are willing to pay market value and above. There is the added bonus of local recognition and the cushy post hockey careers that come with, not to mention endorsements.

In all the categories mentioned, Winnipeg rates quite high in my opinion.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The only thing positive about Winnipeg that would attract players is the fan base. Hockey players are like rock stars in Winnipeg and some players love that.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Taxation I thought we weren't bad - middle of the pack.

We (and other Canadian teams) probably all went down a notch with the new federal tax bracket for income over $200,000 (a 3.6% increase). Not sure if we've seen an updated comparison since that change came into effect. We had the 12th lowest tax rate before, but we would drop a few spots (maybe to around 20th/21st) as a result assuming there weren't major changes in the US.

The Alberta teams probably dropped a fair bit in the list as well given they have both new federal and provincial taxes (~3-4% hike in provincial taxes over $200k).

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I think Location/Family go together. Consider how the wife of a player's opinion is between Florida and Winnipeg. For a player, they travel so often and spend such few days at home, it's a far bigger factor for them (their family) than the players themselves.

I agree that Market is a factor. The fishbowl effect in any Canadian city probably turns off quite a few players. We aren't the worse (Toronto/Montreal), but there are many alternatives.

No, location and family are separate.

Take a guy like Alex Steen (if he ever became a UFA). He's a home-town Winnipeg boy, so for him the location is probably perfect.

But I looked him up - he's got a swedish girlfriend. She's probably not interested in the slightest in coming to Winnipeg.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Okay so let's go through the factors:

Money: I imagine in some situations we might offer more for value players than anyone else. I guess we offered more than anyone else for Ollie Jokinen than anyone else for example. But generally we're a team with an internal cap and we're not going to blow anyone away with offers to UFAs

Location: it will work for some I guess (Hamonic, Buff). And once we get a player here and they grow to like the place they may want to stay. But we're going to mostly lose out to bigger, hipper, warmer locations

Taxation: not the best, not the worst. Push.

Winning: Sigh. Nope. Guys who want to Win aren't signing here.

Coaching: that's a hard one to say. Someone who has played for PMo might want to come here. I think he's reasonably well-regarded. But all in all not a huge draw.

Systems: Honestly I'm not well qualified to answer this one.

Family: Look if a player comes here single, meets a nice local girl, gets married, they may never want to leave. But if someone is already married the wife and kids probably do not want to come to Winnipeg.

Overall: Yup, we're stuck with draft and develop. UFAs are not attracted to Winnipeg. But you get them here young, teach them the charms of the place, hope they meet a nice local girl... and you're set.

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine
Despite these factors, which would seemingly put Winnipeg fairly low on the list of desired locations (let's say bottom 10, along with Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary, Minnesota, Columbus, New Jersey, Carolina, Ottawa, maybe ?Pittsburgh and St Louis), Chevy has done a pretty good job of retaining UFA's he wants to retain (Buff:yo:, Stafford:nod:, Thorbs:shakehead:, Stu:cry: ). He let Jokinen and Setoguchi walk. Lost out on Frolik. Ladd would have resigned, but I don't think Chevy was getting the value out of the contract and bailed. Maybe he comes back, maybe he doesn't.
Be interesting to see if we re-sign Perreault or not.
Can't include RFA's in the evaluation, but he did get guys to sign long contracts to stay here in Bogo, Kane, Wheeler, Ladd and Little.

Point is, once people get in here, they seem to like it. That culture will take time to get built up. Once the #winz start piling up, it'll be easier to attract.

It's not like Detroit is nicer than Winnipeg, but they're a prime UFA landing spot.

Derfel*

I have a dream that one day a bunch of top veteran players who haven't won a Cup (or want another one) will choose to sign with Winnipeg together on cheap sub $2million one-year deals to win a Cup together in a market that would appreciate them.

I dream of silly things.

grgftrs

Dec 23, 2011
1 - Money
2 - Everything else

It's always about the money, always. They actually would be fools otherwise.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
1 - Money
2 - Everything else

It's always about the money, always. They actually would be fools otherwise.

I disagree.

I you had to choose between:

1) a job that paid you twice as much, but you and your family were miserable

OR

2) a job that paid half as much, but you and your family were completely happy

I would choose #2 10/10 times. Money isn't everything... although it sure helps. In the words of the late, great Christoper Wallace; "Mo money, mo problems".

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I would also add where you fit in on the team. That is a big one likely only behind location/family and money. You could be a bottom 6 guy on a top team, looking for some more minutes and a shot at top 6. Where as if you are a proven top 6, you don't have to worry about that. Just winning.

1. Location/ family
2. Money
3. Winning
4. Systems/ possibly playing time

grgftrs

Dec 23, 2011
I disagree.

I you had to choose between:

1) a job that paid you twice as much, but you and your family were miserable

OR

2) a job that paid half as much, but you and your family were completely happy

I would choose #2 10/10 times. Money isn't everything... although it sure helps. In the words of the late, great Christoper Wallace; "Mo money, mo problems".

I don't know if you're married or not but I know for a fact that my wife would be extremely happy if I was making an extra half a million bucks a year....even if we had to move to Buffalo for a few years.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't know if you're married or not but I know for a fact that my wife would be extremely happy if I was making an extra half a million bucks a year....even if we had to move to Buffalo for a few years.

I am, and I might agree. Its all circumstantial though. These guys make 6 or 7 figures, once you have a certain amount of money other items weigh into the happiness factor a lot more.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

But it comes down to the fact that they are already making millions. That half million means a lot to you or me and other joe averages and their wives but much less to 25+ yr old UFA's and their wives who likely already have a few million+ under their belts.
Half a million? Or warm winter? Becomes a much more debatable conversation when you really aren't worrying about money.
This is when things like schools, housing market, crime and other stuff might creep into the conversations not to mention what their wives do for a living.

If you don't have a family then it's likely more about winning and how you fit on a team.
I think a top 10 center who only wants to play only center is less likely to sign with a team that has another top 10 center. If you think you are a top dog, you will go where you can continue to be one. (Crosby, Malkin aside)
For some younger guys it might be about the nightlife but I think very few actually fully consider that. Panarin is a good example. He could have gone anywhere but chose Chicago because:
A. They had an opening for him at LW
B. They just won a cup and have a recent history of winning.

I also think Franchise Stability might come into it for some.

Last edited:

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I would also add where you fit in on the team. That is a big one likely only behind location/family and money. You could be a bottom 6 guy on a top team, looking for some more minutes and a shot at top 6. Where as if you are a proven top 6, you don't have to worry about that. Just winning.

1. Location/ family
2. Money
3. Winning
4. Systems/ possibly playing time

Agree - role/playtime is a big factor. Consider Frolik on the Hawks vs Jets/Flames. Being on a non-contending team did wonders for his career (and contract). I'm sure he wants to win another cup, but I bet the 3x the salary compensates for it very well.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Depends at what stage they are in both career and personal. But ultimately I would say money.

#1 Money/market. I put them together because bigger markets can offer more marketing/sponsorship oppurtunitys. (See Eric Lindros).

#2 Stanley Cup. Ultimate goal after making millions is winning the Stanley Cup. A cup contender is the place to do that.

#3 Personal. Having family support (either the player's or spouses family) close by is very important when raising your own family.
On the other side of that coin is a player whose personal interests away from rink is offered by a market (golf, hunting/fishing, skiing) would be a huge draw.

#3 Franchise. A stable franchise with a respected management/coaching staff will help your career flourish. No doubt a few here have changed company's based on a terrible working environment in the job place.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
By the offer they get...

One player's only choice might be Winnipeg, so that is where they go.

But some it could be money, where they're most likely to get lots of ice time, where they have a good chance to win the cup or if it's close to home.

But the biggest factor is whether or not they get an offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad