How Corey Pronman Views our prospects

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Hopefully this throws some cold water on some on here that think our prospect pool is loaded with “Blue Chip Prospects” (lol).

We have a lot of depth but still lack high end talent

Tier 7 Bubble Top line / Middle of the lineup player
57: Askarov
69: Matthew Wood

Tier 8 Middle of the lineup player

83: Parssinen
87: Kemell
95: Tomasino
100: Molendyk
123: Evangelista
136: Schaefer

Askarov isn't an easy evaluation but he's been very good in the AHL since coming over from Russia. There are times when I watch him and he looks like the rare type of goalie who can dominate. Askarov is a high-end athlete who has the power and quickness in his lower half to make all the tough lateral saves in the NHL. He's an aggressive, competitive goalie who challenges shooters and improvises well. He reads the play well, but he does get a little over-aggressive at times and can be caught out of position. You'd love to see his game get more consistent and less noisy, but the noise is part of what makes him good at the same time. I think he can be a starting goalie in the NHL.

Wood has been up and down this season as a sophomore, but he is a very gifted offensive player. He has excellent one-on-one skills and offensive IQ as a playmaker. He also has an excellent wrist shot and one-timer, making him a major asset on the power play. Wood is a big winger as well, so the size/skill combo has a lot of upside. However, his skating is an issue as he lacks the ability to separate. The pace of the NHL will challenge him. I wouldn’t call him an overly physical or high-compete type, but Wood is a big body who can use his frame to win battles and gets to the inside parts of the offensive zone well enough. The inconsistencies in his game I think come more from his feet than his frame. As he continues to adjust to quicker paces, it's why I think he can be a top-six NHL wing, even if he may frustrate you along the way.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Hopefully this throws some cold water on some on here that think our prospect pool is loaded with “Blue Chip Prospects” (lol).

Did he have any thoughts on L'Heureux or Svechkov?

Cant argue on Evangelista, Tomasino, or Parssinen at current state. Theyre producing at middle of the lineup rates. Maybe they can take that next step like Fiala did when he stepped away from the organization and become a true 1st line talent.

I think Molendyk and Kemell can become 1st pairing / 1st line talents but with Kemell in particular there is gonna need to be some patience to let them develop and understanding when scoring droughts occur.

We dont have any "blue chip" talents. Outside of extreme luck, those are only found in the top 5 or so picks of any given draft. That doesnt mean we dont have players that wont become top line or pairing talent though.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah, this is unsurprising. The fact that list has Tomasino over Evangelista should tell you just how much it is in the wrong.

We have not drafted in the top-10 for over ten years so naturally, we don't have that elite talent in the pipeline.

We have managed pretty well with the later picks, such as Evangelista and Parssinen. Jury's still out with our recent 1st rounders, but Askarov, Kemell, L'Heureux and Svechkov are all performing ok in the AHL.

Molendyk looks like a home-run early from last year. Wood's had a slower start but we knew that he was a longer project as well as more of a boom or bust rather than a safe pick.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yeah, this is unsurprising. The fact that list has Tomasino over Evangelista should tell you just how much it is in the wrong.

We have not drafted in the top-10 for over ten years so naturally, we don't have that elite talent in the pipeline.

We have managed pretty well with the later picks, such as Evangelista and Parssinen. Jury's still out with our recent 1st rounders, but Askarov, Kemell, L'Heureux and Svechkov are all performing ok in the AHL.

Molendyk looks like a home-run early from last year. Wood's had a slower start but we knew that he was a longer project as well as more of a boom or bust rather than a safe pick.
Tomasino has looked much better this season and honestly both have strength's and weaknesses, I don't think there's a gap in talent right now either way

Reactions: Scoresberg

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Regardless of where he ranked Askarov, he says he believes he can be an NHL starter and that's really all we need to know at this point.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed we have potential superstars in our pipeline. We are excited abiut Kemell but even the most optimistic scenario is that he is the new Forsberg, not the next Bedard. What we do have is more likely nhl players in our pipeline than we have ever had.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Regardless of where he ranked Askarov, he says he believes he can be an NHL starter and that's really all we need to know at this point.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed we have potential superstars in our pipeline. We are excited abiut Kemell but even the most optimistic scenario is that he is the new Forsberg, not the next Bedard. What we do have is more likely nhl players in our pipeline than we have ever had.
Remember that Shea Weber as a prospect a year after the draft was called a poor man's Phaneuf.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Definitely, there's been a sense we have strong depth and a number of guys with a chance to be solid NHL-level players, even top 6+ guys, but don't think the board has been unrealistic about anyone's potential except for maybe Askarov. TBF, the only poster I regularly see overpumping tires around here is...well...whatever....

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

I have only two points to make. The Minnesota/Iowa Wild claim to have the best goalie prospect in the AHL. Askarov has gone head-to-head with him and beaten him 5 out of 7 games between last season and this one. Of the AHL teams that I see in the Western Conference, Askarov is the best goalie AINEC.

I saw the Preds play yesterday. I never noticed Tomasino until the third period. I noticed Vange almost every shift. I think that Vange is a better player right now.

Parsnip did not do much yesterday and Schaefer needs some improvement.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I don't disagree with these rankings. We tend to overvalue our players. Remember a few years ago many didn't want to give up Tolvanen+ to go after Stone? That is what I'm referring to.

I don't see our prospects outside Askarov and possibly Molendyk as blue-chippers. None of our forwards look like top-3 types.

The one misnomer too many around here believe is gospel is you can't land elite or top 3 forwards outside of the top 5 in the draft. I have and will continue to call BS on this. Plenty of players in the NHL are top 3 forwards who didn't go in the first round, let alone the top 5. Others went in the first round outside the top 5 that are top 3 forwards.

I like that Trotz is telling his scouts to go for the fences with their picks. Maybe we'll start finding some gems along the way. It's about time we did.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land

Dont get it, you’re gleeful about throwing cold water on fan’s expectations? Why?

• Haha
Reactions: hido

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad