Post-Game Talk: Hit em with the 4 like AM34. Leafs lose 4th straight game 7 to Boston: 2-1

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Well.....in the end....we came up short again.

Reilly isnt a number 1 defenceman. Once we realize that ...the easier it is to move on trying to find him a partner.

Grit helped but they still didnt score when needed. Again...Nylander comes thru but will again be the major talk next season to get rid of. Marner should be traded for a number 1 D ....but those guys dont grow on trees and the ones available are old.

We ran into bad luck at the end of the year with Nylander and his migranes ...Mathews with his illness and injury. McMann would of be usefull too.

I think the assistants were bad......special teams hurt this team alot.....has been a issue all year.
Was that Tre idea to force these assistants on Keefer.? Seems like Keefer wont last another year.

We wasted resources again for 1 yr rentals......will we ever learn.

Tavares cant be off the books at 11 mil soon enough. It was our fear and its happened. He is a 5 mil player if that now.

Was a great comeback but it means nothing....we needed someone to step up and they didnt.

It doesnt matter anyways. Last year we won the 1st round and lost in the 2nd.....not much difference is it?

No one remembers how many rounds you won. The cup is the only goal. Sure its exciting for starving funs like us...but lets not forget the goal.

I am lucky enough to remember our last cup.

Its hard to win in the league....especially when the rules change in playoffs.

Bad Luck Woll got injured again....same with Nylander and Mathews and McMann.

Bruin star came thru in OT and ours didnt.

Another series where goals were scarce ...hmmm....maybe we do need our back end to be more offensively skilled.

We praised Rellly last yr for his one good performance in playoffs and forget his defense liability he has shown us his whole career. I guess there is always a hero and a villian in leaf land.

Hell of a season....

On to next year

Reactions: AvroArrow

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Slept on it and woke up feeling even worse than I did last night

Abject dejection and worthlessnesses overpower anger and frustration

Leafs fandom and a slowly crushing my soul
I am slowly beginning to despise this organization, I hate it. I want to love this team, I want to find myself enjoy cheering for them as I have my entire life but there is a huge disconnect. I have just had it with this organization, starting with Shanahan.

It's a weird feeling. I want to love this team and root for them but I really can't help myself from hating them. To me, Shanahan, Keefe, Marner and this team as a whole has completely disrespected the Maple Leafs. They've shit on the logo, they've shit on the franchise, they've shit on the fan base and the city. Their pathetic efforts have disgraced and disrespected the shit out of the Toronto Maple Leafs and I just cannot cheer for this group anymore.

There needs to be significant changes from top to bottom.

I love the Toronto Maple Leafs, I absolutely despise the personnel that makes up the current Toronto Maple Leafs and it makes it impossible to want to root for them.

That would be the best way I can describe it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
@notbias @Dekes For Days surprised you aren’t shoving the lord and savior in our faces after the loss last night.

I've always said I am fine with change, and I am not happy losing... I am a fan like everyone else, I want the team to win, I just generally disagree on how to do it.

For example, I don't think that assembling the least offensive D we've ever had in the Matthews' era was the right way to increase scoring, some people do.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He was mostly invisible apart from OT GW.

Exactly this. Marner had mostly O-zone starts the whole series. He played like a dogsh*t and watched Pasta blew by him to win this series.

Your take on the game? It's a shame Marner's pass didn't influence this game at all... Really? You don't see how pointing out one decent play is somewhat dis-honest? Especially when he failed to do the one thing his PR team never forgot to mention - play Selke-level defence.

It's a joke, not even Keefe thinks Marner can stop anyone in playoffs trusting him with close to no D-zone starts...

But hey, let's talk more about that one decent play he made this game !

I bet his advanced stats look great. We need them to understand how good Mitch really is.

Holy shit man, it was one comment about part of the game. You’re blowing it way out of proportion.. calm down.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
That's the debate here. Everyone keeps saying well he only allowed 2 goals, yeah but the 2 goals were both bad goals. It's like we just accept 2 bad goals a game with him because it's only 2, it's ridiculous.

The Pastrnak goal Samsonov did nothing. He watched Pastrnak skate in, let Pastrnak go cross-crease, didn't bother to use his stick at all, and then let Pastrnak beat him to his own far post. Pastrnak didn't even lift the puck, he just beat Samsonov to the post. Woll and Swayman actually use their stick and poke check. Look at how Swayman was challenging the breakaways, he was always using his stick early and it was impossible to beat him low.

In this game alone, Pastrnak beats Samsonov low and then Lindholm beats him high. Samsonov isn't strong anywhere.
Yeah Samsonov sucked and gave up 2 crap goals. It was still only 2 goals. While it's a problem it's not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is the top guys disappear come playoff time. Regardless of the injuries, it's yet another playoffs where the big 3 don't take that next step. It has nothing to do with the teams play style.

Watch the other teams in the league in the playoffs, most of their top guys bring it night in night out. Somehow the Leafs top guys get the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I've always said I am fine with change, and I am not happy losing... I am a fan like everyone else, I want the team to win, I just generally disagree on how to do it.

For example, I don't think that assembling the least offensive D we've ever had in the Matthews' era was the right way to increase scoring, some people do.
I think what we will never know is how much did they believe in this team. Where these bandaid moves to see what they can do. If they truly believed in them you would think they would do more.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I don't hate him, but the offensive dry spell is a collective team issue, from this standpoint they all suck and it has to be addressed during offseason. This is not overeacting at all, like I said it has been 8 years.
As i said, there here have been a lot of overreactions here. I'm not saying that changes don't need to be made.

In particular, the posters hating on Rielly and saying he's trash/needs to be traded (quire a few posts) because of the OT goal are massive overreactions given his particular playoff performances historically.

Saying we need to make some changes is not an overreaction.

Saying we need to blow everything up and rebuild is an overreaction.

At most, we should look for a different coach option and do what Colorado did and trade/move on from 1 big name IF we feel like we get a decent return or have other options for using that capspace well. I'm fine with just a coaching change this year as I don't see Marner or JT getting a great return given the circumstances and probably not waiving their NTC (or only a few teams).

• Haha
Reactions: hockeyes

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
We don’t even need a superstar for Marner. It’s great if you can get a Tkachuk sure but even a younger O’Reilly type and a solid puck moving D can change things.
Completely agree, in fact the more blue collar the better imo……..

It’s really that simple, but yet people on here want to blame goaltending. They scored 12 goals in 7 games, that’s pathetic. At least Willy did something
Elite goal scorers NEVER disappear like these guys do in the playoffs, things alway tighten up, but these guys go from snipers to miss every chance from eight years running………

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think what we will never know is how much did they believe in this team. Where these bandaid moves to see what they can do. If they truly believed in them you would think they would do more.

It's weird to spend 6 picks at the deadline if you don't believe in the team.

I think they did, they just thought they needed to fill in some gaps on the lower end of the roster and not the top end.

I think Treliving is a terrible GM without comparing him to any other GM (I know someone will bring up that I just like a different GM and that's why I said this).

We've had a scoring issue every single playoff, people can complain about the stars we have, but we also get almost no support and to fix that we brought in a lot of low skill/low IQ players who are big/tough.

Domi was a good add and I hope we re-sign him, Lub played very steadily, Holmberg is great value, Kampf is fair value, and outside of that, Reaves may have been the next best add.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Scored 1 goal…again

I don’t really care that nylander scored it, but only brain dead’s have to think there’s nothing wrong…

Nylander you had the same amount of points as Marner and he played all 7. You had more than tavares, and had 3 times the goals as Matthews

The core isn’t good enough, you guys never had a game where all of you did something
The core players are all OVERPAID bums.

If even 2 of them showed up in the same playoff game our Leafs would win more than they lose.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
It's weird to spend 6 picks at the deadline if you don't believe in the team.

I think they did, they just thought they needed to fill in some gaps on the lower end of the roster and not the top end.

I think Treliving is a terrible GM without comparing him to any other GM (I know someone will bring up that I just like a different GM and that's why I said this).

We've had a scoring issue every single playoff, people can complain about the stars we have, but we also get almost no support and to fix that we brought in a lot of low skill/low IQ players who are big/tough.

Domi was a good add and I hope we re-sign him, Lub played very steadily, Holmberg is great value, Kampf is fair value, and outside of that, Reaves may have been the next best add.
Lyub is a limited player so I’d be cautious on what we offer to bring him back.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Well.....in the end....we came up short again.

Reilly isnt a number 1 defenceman. Once we realize that ...the easier it is to move on trying to find him a partner.

Grit helped but they still didnt score when needed. Again...Nylander comes thru but will again be the major talk next season to get rid of. Marner should be traded for a number 1 D ....but those guys dont grow on trees and the ones available are old.

We ran into bad luck at the end of the year with Nylander and his migranes ...Mathews with his illness and injury. McMann would of be usefull too.

I think the assistants were bad......special teams hurt this team alot.....has been a issue all year.
Was that Tre idea to force these assistants on Keefer.? Seems like Keefer wont last another year.

We wasted resources again for 1 yr rentals......will we ever learn.

Tavares cant be off the books at 11 mil soon enough. It was our fear and its happened. He is a 5 mil player if that now.

Was a great comeback but it means nothing....we needed someone to step up and they didnt.

It doesnt matter anyways. Last year we won the 1st round and lost in the 2nd.....not much difference is it?

No one remembers how many rounds you won. The cup is the only goal. Sure its exciting for starving funs like us...but lets not forget the goal.

I am lucky enough to remember our last cup.

Its hard to win in the league....especially when the rules change in playoffs.

Bad Luck Woll got injured again....same with Nylander and Mathews and McMann.

Bruin star came thru in OT and ours didnt.

Another series where goals were scarce ...hmmm....maybe we do need our back end to be more offensively skilled.

We praised Rellly last yr for his one good performance in playoffs and forget his defense liability he has shown us his whole career. I guess there is always a hero and a villian in leaf land.

Hell of a season....

On to next year
Who started this bullshit because I've seen this posted a bunch in this thread.

This is Rielly's worst playoff showing and it wasn't even that bad, just mediocre. He didn't just play well last year, he's played well in every playoff series he's been in other than this year. If a single player deserves the benefit of the doubt that their "poor" playoff showing this year is an abberration, it's Morgan Rielly this year.

Rielly has always been more effective in the playoffs than the regular season before this year which you can not say about many others on the Leafs.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Lyub is a limited player so I’d be cautious on what we offer to bring him back.

I agree, he was just steady, he seemed to ignore going for the big hits and played well positionally... it was like with Schenn, I don't want them offering what he is getting paid, but he fits well with Rielly, it is tough.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Matthews and Marner both suck in the playoffs. We have to pay Matthews 13M for what we just saw in the last two weeks. McDavid just put up 12 points in one series, we should be expecting at least a PPG from a 13M player.
Regular season lions, playoff p***ycats…….

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Matthews and Marner both suck in the playoffs. We have to pay Matthews 13M for what we just saw in the last two weeks. McDavid just put up 12 points in one series, we should be expecting at least a PPG from a 13M player.

I hope the next coach stops playing D like Edmonton and Matthews starts scoring a ton, we win a round against a terrible team, then lose against the first team that plays structured hockey, at least this way some people will be happy with the scoring.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I agree, he was just steady, he seemed to ignore going for the big hits and played well positionally... it was like with Schenn, I don't want them offering what he is getting paid, but he fits well with Rielly, it is tough.
the focus needs to be defence and this is how I seem them right now

Rielly X
X X
Benoit McCabe

I liked the Benoit McCabe pairing and they might be a great second pair but I still like to see them as a bottom pair. Get Rielly a partner and get another second pair dman.

Reactions: notbias

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I agree Keefe has to go but if it isn't JT's last game we'll be spinning our wheels regardless of who the coach is .
Not necessarily, JT isn’t going to be worth his contract that’s for damn sure, but he could be a valuable third or fourth line centre. The new coach simply has to use him properly, and with less ice time his game might actually improve………

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
The overtime goal was one thing, but why is everyone forgetting about the soft goal that he let in right after we scored? Without that goal it doesn't even go to OT. I'm positive Woll makes that save.

Lindholm just flicked the puck at the net with no windup, the defenceman that scored 3 goals all year and the puck hit his hand and then went into the net on the first shot he faced after we took a 1-0 lead.

Samsonov sucked. Again he's not the reason they lost. Maybe if the guys making money had that playoff gear MacKinnon, McDavid and Kutcherov had they would still be playing. I don't get how many of you keep defending these losers.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I hope the next coach stops playing D like Edmonton and Matthews starts scoring a ton, we win a round against a terrible team, then lose against the first team that plays structured hockey, at least this way some people will be happy with the scoring.

I do agree very much so that series are not at all equal and Edmonton’s narrative around their club has greatly benefitted from weak first round opponents.

McDavid has definitely also been better as a playoff producer in his own right however. Both these things are definitely true as I see it

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Samsonov sucked. Again he's not the reason they lost. Maybe if the guys making money had that playoff gear MacKinnon, McDavid and Kutcherov had they would still be playing. I don't get how many of you keep defending these losers.

Guys expect to win 1-0 or 2-1, it's not fair.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
You win 1-0 and no one is talking about our lack of scoring. Give us average goaltending and we win this series.

Most playoff teams win 2-1 and 1-0 games. The Bruins just won 2-1.

Average goaltending of 1.00 GAA and a .950 or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad