How Competitive Will the Finals Be?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I fully expect this series to go 7, so very competitive is my reply... but, don't underestimate experience when it comes to this stage. I am interested to see just how Nashville handles this especilly if they drop the first 2 games on the road.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Unfortunately, this will not be a competitive series. PIT in 5, maybe 6 games if Rinne steals two. Murray is better in net. Rinne's numbers have been coming back to earth every series. Forwards are not even close. They wouldn't be close even if RyJo was playing. I love Nashville's D, but Pittsburgh has a great defensive system, with strong support from the forwards and great transition. If you have watched PIT at all this year, you know it doesn't seem to matter who gets injured on D, the system makes up for it. I'm not saying in any way that they are better than NSH. I'm just saying the gap is much closer than most perceive.

Forsberg and Arvidsson don't have RyJo to feed them. Colton Sissons had a great couple games in RyJo's absence, but no one expects him to keep that up. Maybe Fisher gets his first point of the playoffs, but the offense lives and dies with the D and Forsberg right now. That is scary.

Forsberg/Sissons/Arvidsson have 35 points so far. Tonight's fourth line of Guentzel/Cullen/Hornqvist have 30. Wilson/Fisher/Neal have 11 points. Wilson/Malkin/Kessel has 48. The worst line for PIT tonight statistically is Rust/Bonino/Rowney, and even they have 15 points as a line.

This is going to be ugly.

hope you're right, but everybody here was saying the sharks would destroy the pens last year

the few experts that picked the pens last year thought it would be a tough 7 game series

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
That first game was confusing.

Don't know if the Preds' 2nd-3rd period rush is more encouraging than that late goal allowed.

Shades of San Jose game 1 last year.

And we all know how THAT ended up.

Maybe these Pens aren't equipped to give us a competitive series.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
That first game was confusing.

Don't know if the Preds' 2nd-3rd period rush is more encouraging than that late goal allowed.

Shades of San Jose game 1 last year.

And we all know how THAT ended up.

Maybe these Pens aren't equipped to give us a competitive series.

It's hard to say because teams play differently with 3-0 leads versus in tie games. I still can't see the Pens winning this unless Rinne implodes, they looked to be the inferior team.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
My takeaways from Game One

1) The Preds D is superior AINEC. The Preds were able to make good breakout passes under pressure and on the regroup. The Preds looked like a championship calibre defense and then some. However, the Penguins looked like they had a D core that couldn't do anything with the puck (outside of Schultz). It seemed that their only gameplan was to slap the puck up the boards and hope that one of their skilled forwards picks it up which is a very inefficient way of breaking the puck out

2) Rinne was the only reason that the Pens won. He obviously has to be better.

3) The Preds controlled the play, but didnt generate many chances. They seemed to only get the puck towards the net by using their points but the shots were not getting through very well. The Preds D must do a better job of generating shots on net in order to gain opportunities on the rebounds

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Well..... not getting better.

For all the handwringing about San Jose and possession and shots and all that stuff last year, they only gave up 5 goals combined in games 1-2.

So far- 5 and 4.

I just think these Penguins might be too hot too handle for anyone else honestly.

Unless things change drastically, I don't think these Penguins are equipped to give us a competitive back-and-forth struggle in the Cup Final.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can't see this series going beyond 6 games. I can't see this Predators team winning more than 2 games against the Penguins. They just don't have the offensive firepower to break Murray or to keep up with the Penguins.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Did the Sharks look this bad after games 1-2 last year?

Yes. Sharks were a crap team that got exposed badly. Pens went easy on them and they somehow got 2 games.

Preds are much better than Sharks but have same problem as the Caps. Dominate - NO GOALS.....Pens weather the storm ....SCORE

That cycle repeats.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Pens got this however.....listen to the announce below

If the Canucks win a strangle hold...the Bruins would have to win 4 of 5....if it even went that far :laugh:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Its not pretty like last year, but ultimately Pens have given ample indications that they have plenty of guys who will score when getting their opportunities, and you look at the Preds forward group.... and its not the same at all.

We've been the team playing better for all of one period of two games and have outscored the Preds 9-4 so far despite our PP being absolutely pathetic.

Nashville can bring as much fan heat and cat fish as they like at home - I don't see them winning four of five against this team. Much more likely that it is a sweep given the disparity in offensive quality.

Yet I still have to give kudos to Nashville. They are working extremely hard and one wonders what things would be like if they had RyJo and thus one complete forward line that could likely do something with the possession they generate other than "throw it on net and get bodies in front".

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Pittsburgh has more puck luck than any team I have ever seen. Both Washington nad Nashville have proven that they can dominate the play against the Penguins, but yet, the Pens always score off of nothing plays and the puck just will not bounce Nashville's way.

But truth be told, this may be the worst forward group ever in the Finals. The Preds just cannot put the puck into the net. Plus, Rinne is giving them no help whatsoever so far, possibly because he goes through long stretches without seeing a shot.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Pittsburgh has more puck luck than any team I have ever seen. Both Washington nad Nashville have proven that they can dominate the play against the Penguins, but yet, the Pens always score off of nothing plays and the puck just will not bounce Nashville's way.

But truth be told, this may be the worst forward group ever in the Finals. The Preds just cannot put the puck into the net. Plus, Rinne is giving them no help whatsoever so far, possibly because he goes through long stretches without seeing a shot.
There's a difference between quantity and quality. Nashville is great at controlling the puck but there's no creativity in their offensive game. Pens forwards don't need much to bury their chances. That's not lucky that's talent.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Pens got this however.....listen to the announce below

If the Canucks win a strangle hold...the Bruins would have to win 4 of 5....if it even went that far :laugh:

That was a competitive final for sure!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad