How Competitive Will the Finals Be?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I wouldn't be so sure. I think it will really be a feeling out process in game 1 for both teams. Pittsburgh will have to see how to take advantage of Nashville's poor center depth, while also dealing with the challenge of Nashville's blueline. They'll have to watch tape on where Anaheim had success and see if they can replicate it. The same goes for Nashville. They'll need to plan on how to deal with the loss of Johansen and how they can take advantage of Pittsburgh.

Ottawa won game 1 in a game that was really a feeling out process. Pittsburgh won a very tight game 2 and was blown out in game 3. But they basically controlled things for the rest of the series with Ottawa's only win being one where Anderson stood on his head.

I think it'll be game 2-3 where we'll have a better idea as to how this will play out. By then we will have i seen how each team will have handled things and the adjustments each team will have made (or attempted to make). That said, I agree that this could be a short series. Not saying it will be, but given the vast differences in how these teams are structured, it's either going to be a really tight series that goes the distance... or a really lopsided one that's over quickly for someone.

I was just talking about this on the Pens board, thats where the Pens went wrong to start that sens series. The "feeling out process" . Which lasted way too long and almost cost them the series(could have went down 3-0). We didn't see them do that last year in any series, they played their game and made other teams try to adjust.

I know this year is different , with Letang out and other injuries ...we had to play a different game at times. But we are close to healthy now(especially if Hornqvist is back). And of course there's naturally going to be a feeling out process the first ten mins or so like in every series but after that... They need to play the way that won them the cup last year. The scores were close against the Sharks due to Jones, but they controlled the play in every game but game 5. They didn't buy into the hype of how great the Sharks were from top to bottom , they came out and dominated.

I'm not saying they will do that to the Preds, I'm just saying that's the mentality they need to have. They focused way too much on the sens style of play and that got them off their game right away.

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
If rinne and murray show up - and there is no reason to think they won't - it should be a very competitive series. I don't see either team rolling over the other unless the opposing goalie breaks, that seems very unlikely

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Will either we tight and competitive.... or the Pens forward superiority will just be too much for Nashville to deal with.

I honestly expect the latter. Ottawa had significantly better forwards than what Nashville have now, and I just cannot see Sid and Geno not getting it done against that group -unless we start dropping bodies again.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
It should be very competitive: MM vs. Rinne, D vs. O, playoff experience vs. the adrenaline of being in the finals, etc. Should be awesome!

I think it'll be Pens in 7 (but Preds in 7 wouldn't surprise me either).

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
I would give

G: NSH
D: NSH
F: PIT

The question is if Pittsburgh's forward advantage will be enough to put them ahead of Nashville's defense and goaltending advantage?

History tells us that D and G > F in the postseason. Believe it or not, NSH may be better suited to win

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I would give

The question is if Pittsburgh's forward advantage will be enough to put them ahead of Nashville's defense and goaltending advantage?

History tells us that D and G > F in the postseason. Believe it or not, NSH may be better suited to win

I would say G is tied purely because we have two #1's. Who have performed well.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I would say G is tied purely because we have two #1's. Who have performed well.

Yeah I don't buy that goaltending should be a big advantage to either side in this series. It really comes down to who can dictate and control play better, the Preds high-end D or the Pens high-end centers.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

History does tell us that. And I think most would even agree with it to an extent. But then I think most would also agree that when discussing it, they wouldn't be discussing a team with the forward group that Nashville will ice tomorrow.

I mean sure I'd rather have the blueline that Nashville does... but they will still need to score goals to win games, and they're not going to have a goalie as bad as Bernier in net to aid them in the process.

It really will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I would give

Columbus and Washington were also better defensively (#1 and #2 in the league)and had Vezina winners/candidates in net. Pens forwards are just much better than everyone else's.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Columbus and Washington were also better defensively (#1 and #2 in the league)and had Vezina winners/candidates in net. Pens forwards are just much better than everyone else's.

And its not like the pens forwards are just good offensively. They play very solid defensively as well, making up for the lack of talent on the blue line.

Especially in our own zone. Guys like Bonino, Hagelin, Wilson, Hornqvist, Rowney, etc....all great at blocking shots.. Getting to pucks and clearing the zone.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I would give

Is there really much of an advantage, though? No.

The question is can Nashville's D stop Pittsburgh's forwards.

Both goalies are awesome.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Think it will be competitive, but I worry about how we will play on the road. For most teams, it's a slight disadvantage, but PIT can really make you pay with the last change and our diminished C depth.

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
Everyone's talking about injuries and the Preds weak forward lines but earlier this season the Preds managed to win (ok, one game) against the Pens 5-1 with Rinne, Smith, Fisher and Sissons out and Johansen and half the rest of the iced team on the back end of food poisoning.

Not saying it's indicative or even that the Preds have any edge here, I'm just saying it can be done. I think this should be very competitive.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Nashville has the edge. They only have to carry one "player you can't win with" while Pittsburgh is dragging both Kessel and Schultz into the finals for the second year in row. Crosby's back must be getting tired.

Did you watch hockey last year?

What a dumb post

How does this kind of thing happen so frequently around here? I guess I shouldn't be surprised due to some(most) of this site's content...

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Unfortunately, this will not be a competitive series. PIT in 5, maybe 6 games if Rinne steals two. Murray is better in net. Rinne's numbers have been coming back to earth every series. Forwards are not even close. They wouldn't be close even if RyJo was playing. I love Nashville's D, but Pittsburgh has a great defensive system, with strong support from the forwards and great transition. If you have watched PIT at all this year, you know it doesn't seem to matter who gets injured on D, the system makes up for it. I'm not saying in any way that they are better than NSH. I'm just saying the gap is much closer than most perceive.

Forsberg and Arvidsson don't have RyJo to feed them. Colton Sissons had a great couple games in RyJo's absence, but no one expects him to keep that up. Maybe Fisher gets his first point of the playoffs, but the offense lives and dies with the D and Forsberg right now. That is scary.

Forsberg/Sissons/Arvidsson have 35 points so far. Tonight's fourth line of Guentzel/Cullen/Hornqvist have 30. Wilson/Fisher/Neal have 11 points. Wilson/Malkin/Kessel has 48. The worst line for PIT tonight statistically is Rust/Bonino/Rowney, and even they have 15 points as a line.

This is going to be ugly.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Unfortunately, this will not be a competitive series. PIT in 5, maybe 6 games if Rinne steals two. Murray is better in net. Rinne's numbers have been coming back to earth every series. Forwards are not even close. They wouldn't be close even if RyJo was playing. I love Nashville's D, but Pittsburgh has a great defensive system, with strong support from the forwards and great transition. If you have watched PIT at all this year, you know it doesn't seem to matter who gets injured on D, the system makes up for it. I'm not saying in any way that they are better than NSH. I'm just saying the gap is much closer than most perceive.

Forsberg and Arvidsson don't have RyJo to feed them. Colton Sissons had a great couple games in RyJo's absence, but no one expects him to keep that up. Maybe Fisher gets his first point of the playoffs, but the offense lives and dies with the D and Forsberg right now. That is scary.

Forsberg/Sissons/Arvidsson have 35 points so far. Tonight's fourth line of Guentzel/Cullen/Hornqvist have 30. Wilson/Fisher/Neal have 11 points. Wilson/Malkin/Kessel has 48. The worst line for PIT tonight statistically is Rust/Bonino/Rowney, and even they have 15 points as a line.

This is going to be ugly.

Agreed this will be over quickly.
Penguins = Golden State Warriors
Predators = Portland Trailblazers
I expect the same thing in this "series" as happened in that one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad