How can we bring a strong "Leadership" core?

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
Leadership is a buzz word that has been floating around the media consistently within the past few days.

Simply put, tons of people are saying this team has "No Leadership", yet frankly the definition of leadership is extremely vague.

Is it the guy who scores the game tying goal or the game winner when it really matters? Is it the veteran guy who's won it all and knows what winning takes? Is it the guy who picks a fight when the team is down?

Despite those questions - we do have a specific problem. We can perform and compete with the best of them, yet fail continually against the leagues worst. Our effort every night is a roller-coaster, we are inconsistent, and we have collapsed in spectacular fashion for THREE years in a row.

What kind of leadership are we missing that prevents us from suffering from these glorious collapses? More grit, more talent, more "character"?

What I want to know is: What needs to be done in order to make sure this team has a strong sense of leadership to draw from? Do we bring in old veterans if we can make cap space? Do we sit with what we have and just write the various collapses off as learning experiences?

I see our "on paper" leadership as Phaneuf, Bolland, Clarkson, Kessel, Lupul, Gleason (maybe), Bozak (maybe).

I see our actual leadership as Kessel, Lupul, Bozak and Phaneuf. And that makes me sad.

What should be done?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Starts at the top with Nonis.

We need a totally new management team. Then, and only then can this team begin to recover. The longer this gets put off, the longer we will be without success.

Seems Leiweke is recognizing this, so that is good

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
First off, you need a coach that is loved. A guy that players will bleed for.

Both coaches haven't worked because they couldn't control the locker room. It's some of that on the players? Yes but both coaches had numerous public "beefs" with players and are/were generally unliked

Ace88*

A Prophecy.

It's the only way. The Chosen One will lead us to the promised land.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

Both coaches haven't worked because they couldn't control the locker room. It's some of that on the players? Yes but both coaches had numerous public "beefs" with players and are/were generally unliked

As much as I agree we need a new coach, I'd prefer getting a captain that is loved, and one that will bleed for his players. I'm fine with a coach that will implement a system that reflects the level of talent we have and will use the right players in the right situations.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013

Doesn't that spell a personell problem though when you have to fall back on your coach to motivate your team every time? Like throughout the last three major collapses, is it the coaches fault that there wasn't ONE guy on the roster who was able to be a game-changer? Further, our ability to come back when down, tie it up and win absolutely disappeared as the year went on.

When you look at philly, a guy like Matt Read, silent hard working guy - he leads the team for late game tying goals.

The entirety of our deep playoff experience on this team is tied up in what, 2 or 3 non-core guys? Who's won a cup on this team... Bolland .. and...?

There is NO veteran leadership on this team. None.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
As much as I agree we need a new coach, I'd prefer getting a captain that is loved, and one that will bleed for his players. I'm fine with a coach that will implement a system that reflects the level of talent we have and will use the right players in the right situations.

Of course.2nd in command in that room

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Doesn't that spell a personell problem though when you have to fall back on your coach to motivate your team every time? Like throughout the last three major collapses, is it the coaches fault that there wasn't ONE guy on the roster who was able to be a game-changer? Further, our ability to come back when down, tie it up and win absolutely disappeared as the year went on.

When you look at philly, a guy like Matt Read, silent hard working guy - he leads the team for late game tying goals.

The entirety of our deep playoff experience on this team is tied up in what, 2 or 3 non-core guys? Who's won a cup on this team... Bolland .. and...?

There is NO veteran leadership on this team. None.

I've been saying Dionx a hack forever. I think he did himself in this time. Coach is huge but he is the single most important move this team needs to make.

And as I said before Dion inked his deal, bring in Boyce

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
The only other guy on this team that I could see being captain is Bozak.

See? That is a massive ****ing problem. I honestly think we should just go with NO captain, all A's, after we ship out Phaneuf before the deadline.

That way, no player will ****ing steal an extra couple million on his contract just because he wears the C. Ugh.

People laughed at me when I said I'd be interested in guys like Jagr, Iginla, heck even Lecavalier. But when you actually step back and look at it, who on this team, besides Kessel, is a true pro for other players to look up to and model themselves after?

How many times have you seen a great player on a great team get interviewed and mention some legend that he played with who he looked up to and who showed him the ropes. Every god damned good player has those influences. Who on the leafs meets that requirement? KESSEL? BARELY.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

What qualities make someone a leader then?

Respect by teammates:
The opinion in the room is that Bozak is valuable. Third-line centre David Bolland called his teammate “a top-10 centreman in this league, for sure.”
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...yler-bozak-crushing-all-doubt-as-no-1-centre/

Gets points:
50+ point pace the last 3 seasons including being on pace for just under 70 points this season.

Gets ice time to lead by example:
Has been top 3 in forward ice time for the leafs since he came into the league. Includes 1 year where he led the forwards and 3 others where he had the 2nd most, only behind Kessel.

He wants to be a Maple Leaf:
Signed with Toronto as a college free agent.
Recently signed a contract extension.

He hits many categories, more than any other I would say on the team. Not even saying I want him as captain. I'm just saying he is the only other guy on the team that I can see being captain. We really don't have many options.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
See? That is a massive ****ing problem. I honestly think we should just go with NO captain, all A's, after we ship out Phaneuf before the deadline.

I second this. We can roll with three A's, just because I don't see a leader on our team, nor do I believe we have the assets to realistically bring one in. We're gonna have to wait to draft a future captain, or have one develop. And there's really not a big deal with not having a captain honestly...it's literally just extra pride and media pressure.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What exactly are we determining leadership as?
I'm not being dumb here - I'm legitimately wondering what we mean regarding this.

Now when I think of leadership - I instantly think of Sundin and Roberts. Sundin was the captain and he was the strong silent type, he did his thing. Roberts was the guy screaming at the bench and willing people to win. But ironically, when I think about Roberts's wingman - I don't often think of Joe Nieuwendyk (which you'd automatically assume) - I think of Alyn McCauley.

I remember when Sundin went down and Roberts did his thing - Alyn became a scoring machine. He picked up his play, he did things I barely remember him doing in the regular season, he and Roberts pretty much dragged that team through the Ottawa series. I don't remember him really speaking about it during (or afterwards), it was more of this quiet - okay well I have to step up - and everyone else followed suit.

Now - I'd like some Alyn McCauley like behaviour. (and in a way - I think that's who Phil Kessel is - he's more dynamic and he's a game breaker) but I don't now why - but I think he's changing for the better. I did not expect him to say what he did yesterday, and I think we're going to see the next level of Kessel next season (fingers crossed).

I don't think we necessarily need people screaming and shouting and whatever - and I think that era of hockey gone. I think though and I've been saying this forever - this team needs older people, and by old, i mean 40+. We need guys so next time a skid starts to happen - there's a veteran that can go. Yah. you know what? No. this isn't happpening, we're stopping it here. We've been screaming and yelling at the players. (deservedly) we've pointed out that 11 of the 23 have done this now three times, and there are meetings etc... I personally think, especially for most of them who have bounced around through their entire careers, don't really have a strong culture of winning, and stuck in a culture of crap. (sorry, Toronto, but true) when something crappy happens (insert pressure filled situation here), they totally buckle. I think they need braces.

but see that's just me.

if we're going to lay everything on the feet of the players - I honestly feel that Dion needs to give up is captaincy - for the betterment for his game which in turn helps the team. it's happened with Marleau (stripped if I remember correctly, for Thornton). then i'd wait for one to emerge naturally.

I just feel that if the leadership group are constantly having meetings regarding the same old crap and nothing changed, the play is uninspired etc, no matter how you define it - quite frankly, i'd say goodbye to the leadership group who are UFAs, remove it from those who are staying and go - it needs to be earned. you need to show why you are a captain and/or alternate for this club.

for me:
starting games on time.
hard work. every game. regardless if its Buffalo or Chicago
having pride of the logo on the front. [seriously, again, I think a lot of these players need to remember that most Leafs fans aren't cheering for "insert name here" they're cheering for the logo].
and when you are having a slump - having the pride to go "it's not going to get past 2."

so it's a mental thing as well as a person you can bring in.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
What exactly are we determining leadership as?
I'm not being dumb here - I'm legitimately wondering what we mean regarding this.

Now when I think of leadership - I instantly think of Sundin and Roberts. Sundin was the captain and he was the strong silent type, he did his thing. Roberts was the guy screaming at the bench and willing people to win. But ironically, when I think about Roberts's wingman - I don't often think of Joe Nieuwendyk (which you'd automatically assume) - I think of Alyn McCauley.

I remember when Sundin went down and Roberts did his thing - Alyn became a scoring machine. He picked up his play, he did things I barely remember him doing in the regular season, he and Roberts pretty much dragged that team through the Ottawa series. I don't remember him really speaking about it during (or afterwards), it was more of this quiet - okay well I have to step up - and everyone else followed suit.

Now - I'd like some Alyn McCauley like behaviour. (and in a way - I think that's who Phil Kessel is - he's more dynamic and he's a game breaker) but I don't now why - but I think he's changing for the better. I did not expect him to say what he did yesterday, and I think we're going to see the next level of Kessel next season (fingers crossed).

I don't think we necessarily need people screaming and shouting and whatever - and I think that era of hockey gone. I think though and I've been saying this forever - this team needs older people, and by old, i mean 40+. We need guys so next time a skid starts to happen - there's a veteran that can go. Yah. you know what? No. this isn't happpening, we're stopping it here. We've been screaming and yelling at the players. (deservedly) we've pointed out that 11 of the 23 have done this now three times, and there are meetings etc... I personally think, especially for most of them who have bounced around through their entire careers, don't really have a strong culture of winning, and stuck in a culture of crap. (sorry, Toronto, but true) when something crappy happens (insert pressure filled situation here), they totally buckle. I think they need braces.

but see that's just me.

if we're going to lay everything on the feet of the players - I honestly feel that Dion needs to give up is captaincy - for the betterment for his game which in turn helps the team. it's happened with Marleau (stripped if I remember correctly, for Thornton). then i'd wait for one to emerge naturally.

I just feel that if the leadership group are constantly having meetings regarding the same old crap and nothing changed, the play is uninspired etc, no matter how you define it - quite frankly, i'd say goodbye to the leadership group who are UFAs, remove it from those who are staying and go - it needs to be earned. you need to show why you are a captain and/or alternate for this club.

for me:
starting games on time.
hard work. every game. regardless if its Buffalo or Chicago
having pride of the logo on the front. [seriously, again, I think a lot of these players need to remember that most Leafs fans aren't cheering for "insert name here" they're cheering for the logo].
and when you are having a slump - having the pride to go "it's not going to get past 2."

so it's a mental thing as well as a person you can bring in.

For me, a captain is someone who the team is comfortable with first of all. There's got to be a good relationship between the players and the captain, its not just "oh, he's got the C, so he's our leader". Its something you have to earn, basically it shows that the team respects you. Secondly, imo, the captain has to be the hardest working player on the team. First on the ice, last off. Its just basic stuff where you lead by example. It also wouldn't hurt if the captain isn't a stubborn a-hole and actually holds himself and the team accountable when they screw up.

What you talked about in regards to veteran's that speak up, I always imaged those guys would be perfect as assistant captain's. Best case scenerio, we somehow get a young center who's humble and has all the traits of what I mentioned above, and then we have assistant's that bring experience and have been in the game long enough to know how things go.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
none of these guys deserve to be captain, including phaneuf(who i hope is traded even though I think he is a solid d-man, culture change!)

If we trade up and pick up Bennett, he'd be a candidate for captaincy

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Starts at the top with Nonis.

We need a totally new management team. Then, and only then can this team begin to recover. The longer this gets put off, the longer we will be without success.

Seems Leiweke is recognizing this, so that is good

So the team that Burke built....did suck, both on and off the ice!

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Big Phaneuf defender, but never for his role as a captain.

I think either Rielly grows into it or we target someone. I think the tough part is finding one that is actually available, a pending UFA.

Ryan Callahan is someone I would consider, at least when you overpay for his skill level (which someone will) you get what looks like a great leader and locker guy. Not sure if Tampa will let this guy go as I think they obviously value him, what are other realistic options though?

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Big Phaneuf defender, but never for his role as a captain.

I think either Rielly grows into it or we target someone. I think the tough part is finding one that is actually available, a pending UFA.

Ryan Callahan is someone I would consider, at least when you overpay for his skill level (which someone will) you get what looks like a great leader and locker guy. Not sure if Tampa will let this guy go as I think they obviously value him, what are other realistic options though?

I don't think it would be big names or anything like that. But a couple vets like Robidas or something

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Simply put, tons of people are saying this team has "No Leadership", yet frankly the definition of leadership is extremely vague.

Like who? People are calling Toronto radio stations and screaming at the top of their lungs about leadership, but they have no idea. The media guys arent in the dressing room. The beat guys all say no players are complaining.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Funny thing that we have such a lack of leadership on the Maple Leafs but we currently have 5 players (McKegg, Carrick, Percy, Brown and Finn) on the Marlies or who will be there next season who was captains of their respective OHL teams. Add Biggs who was a captain in his draft year and make it 6. So there is a lot of leadership in the system to bad they are not even ready to play in the NHL and this does not answer the question who lead the Leafs next season.

Rielly showed leadership qualities in juniors but just as with the others CHL leaders there is a difference in being a leader at that level and a completely different thing to be a leader on the most scrutinized franchise in the league (on pair with Montreal).

Since I dont know what direction this team is taking I dont really know who should be our captain. If Dion is still here next season he must remain the captain unless he him self ask to have the C stripped away from him. I dont think he is the guy who is ok with being the big dog in the room and then take a step back. If he bullied Schenn and Aulie and makes fun of Kessel and his cookies when he is trying to be a leader then I dont want to think of how he would behave if he was not even a symbolic leader. Perhaps just me sniffing the smoke and speculating to much.

So how about no one is captain until some one either from within or via trade steps up and becomes a leader so that the natural thing to do would do hand him the C?

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Funny thing that we have such a lack of leadership on the Maple Leafs but we currently have 5 players (McKegg, Carrick, Percy, Brown and Finn) on the Marlies or who will be there next season who was captains of their respective OHL teams. Add Biggs who was a captain in his draft year and make it 6. So there is a lot of leadership in the system to bad they are not even ready to play in the NHL and this does not answer the question who lead the Leafs next season.

Rielly showed leadership qualities in juniors but just as with the others CHL leaders there is a difference in being a leader at that level and a completely different thing to be a leader on the most scrutinized franchise in the league (on pair with Montreal).

Since I dont know what direction this team is taking I dont really know who should be our captain. If Dion is still here next season he must remain the captain unless he him self ask to have the C stripped away from him. I dont think he is the guy who is ok with being the big dog in the room and then take a step back. If he bullied Schenn and Aulie and makes fun of Kessel and his cookies when he is trying to be a leader then I dont want to think of how he would behave if he was not even a symbolic leader. Perhaps just me sniffing the smoke and speculating to much.

So how about no one is captain until some one either from within or via trade steps up and becomes a leader so that the natural thing to do would do hand him the C?

LOL yeah, a little :laugh:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
LOL yeah, a little :laugh:

Hard to resist at times ;)

But I dont think lack of leadership will be an issue 1-2 years from now, as a leadership core thing that is. Plenty of our prospects are seen as good leaders and they will spread out from top to bottom of the team. But I cant see anyone in the system or who we could get via trade who screams out captain other then perhaps Rielly but he should at least get to play through his sophomore year first before he comes in to consideration. His main focus should first of all be on improving his own game.

Some ppl suggested Kessel and even do I guess he have shown more leadership then Dion lately I dont even think he wants to be the captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad