how big of a loss was kevin hayes

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
That may be true, but I view him on a line with Panarin, so he's not really secondary scoring for me by definition. While we have the top 6 contributing pretty consistently, there's a big drop off after that whereas Hayes was 3C a lot of the time when he was here and provided some scoring depth.

He was the 3C and Stepan was moved. The past two seasons, he was the 2C and produced less than what Strome has this year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Strome is on pace to easily surpass Hayes’ numbers from last year.
Don't you think that's at least partly (if not primarily) due to playing with Panarin, who is having an insane year? I mean Strome is on pace for 72 points, with a career high of 50 that was never really approached in any other season. I think if you put Hayes in that spot, you'd probably see an uptick in Hayes' scoring as well, no?

Reactions: egelband and bl02

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Don't you think that's at least partly (if not primarily) due to playing with Panarin, who is having an insane year? I mean Strome is on pace for 72 points, with a career high of 50 that was never really approached in any other season. I think if you put Hayes in that spot, you'd probably see an uptick in Hayes' scoring as well, no?

I would hope so. The point is that Hayes was not irreplaceable. And, moving him opened the door to acquiring Trouba. So, I’m saying moving Hayes was not a loss.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would hope so. The point is that Hayes was not irreplaceable. And, moving him opened the door to acquiring Trouba. So, I’m saying moving Hayes was not a loss.
Okay, understood.

Though it does make you wonder. If Hayes is better than Strome, and hypothetically produced better with Panarin than Strome did, how would Zibanejad-Hayes-Strome look down the middle? Center could actually be a strength.

Although, again, not worth it for the cost.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Not much to be honest. Strome has filled in nicely and I don't know of a contract we would have been glad to keep Hayes at. He just didn't produce at a level his numbers would warrant. Still flabberghasted at a 40-50 point player getting $7M but since it was the Flyers, I'm also laughing.

Reactions: MyLoveIsBlue

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's a good player and I don't know if his contract now is even that bad---a bit too much maybe but where we were at and where we were going for the next couple seasons or so we couldn't afford him. He was a good backup center to Zibanejad and there are things I like about his game--he uses his size very well and is patient with the puck and can be clutch at times just not very much of that in the playoffs. Pretty good two way player though.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I don't think this team misses Hayes that much except maybe on the PK. Even so, his absence on the PK isn't as noticeable as when Hagelin left, I think our PK% dropped a bit the season after he was traded.

It's not surprising at all that some Flyers fans hate Hayes, he signed a big contract that will be difficult for him to live up to. Hayes' huge contract is major reason why Rangers fans or more or less at peace with him leaving, we dodged a bullet there.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Seemed like Hayes was part of the core here for a while. Solid 2nd line center, who played a 2-way game. He was really versatile. He did everything asked of him, but never really excelled at anything. Put him on the PP and he didn't look terrible. Put him on the PK, and h was solid.

Hayes i think was at his best when JT Miller was here too. They had really good chemistry together and did some big things while on the clubs 3rd line.

I guess at the end of the day Hayes departure served the rebuild well. I also cleared space for Panarin, which is a player that will make you forget all about a Kevin Hayes!

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I don’t find myself watching this team and thinking “If we only had Hayes back.”

He’s a good player but he’s not a driving force like Zibby or Panarin. He’s probably a 5.5 or 6 million dollar a year player so he may be overpaid but not drastically if he can maintain his current level. Last couple years could be tough.

Rangers were not in the position to give him that deal and I was honestly not one of his bigger fans. He always seemed to disappear in the playoffs but that can all change pretty quickly I guess...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I disagree that Strome has been better than Hayes "in that role." Hayes playing with Panarin is an 85 point player imo and unlike Strome, knows where his own zone is.

That said, Strome is a lot cheaper and that doesn't really bother me.

What does bother me is the fact that we couldn't spend 7 million on a center but we could spend 8.5 million on a RD, when we need a RD a lot less than we need a center. Although, that's more of a Trouba issue than a Hayes issue.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I disagree that Strome has been better than Hayes "in that role." Hayes playing with Panarin is an 85 point player imo and unlike Strome, knows where his own zone is.

That said, Strome is a lot cheaper and that doesn't really bother me.

What does bother me is the fact that we couldn't spend 7 million on a center but we could spend 8.5 million on a RD, when we need a RD a lot less than we need a center. Although, that's more of a Trouba issue than a Hayes issue.
Nobody knew what we did or did not need at the time. Even if you believe in ada, like myself, fox was a complete unknown, shatty struggled for 2 years, and we had nothing tangible other than that.

Reactions: haveandare

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nobody knew what we did or did not need at the time. Even if you believe in ada, like myself, fox was a complete unknown, shatty struggled for 2 years, and we had nothing tangible other than that.
I always saw Trouba's contract for an overpayment for a player who we need who and doesn't come around the often. It was an opportunity we had to take despite knowing we would overpay. I have some issues with that notion:

-Panarin is a player that doesn't make it to free agency. Trouba is not that caliber of player.
-Even counting Fox as a unknown, I still never saw RD as a desperate "overpay for it" need.
-I don't believe rebuilding teams have "overpay for it" needs.

Again, more of a Trouba issue, but I bring it up because the logic we applied to Hayes (he'll get overpaid in the market, he's a good player but we don't need him RIGHT NOW in the middle of a rebuild) strangely wasn't applied to Trouba.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
I don't think its fair to assume that A.) Hayes would have been playing with Panarin, and B.) Hayes' production would have increased the same as Strome's on a percentage basis if he did

Put Hayes on this roster and the team is marginally closer to a playoff spot they can't do anything with.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I miss him as a fan but from a pure numbers standpoint it just didn't work. We've managed to replace his offense with Strome. The biggest thing we miss is his defensive play, but it's not worth the price of his contract.

I think most fans would love to still have him on the team but not at that price point.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think its fair to assume that A.) Hayes would have been playing with Panarin, and B.) Hayes' production would have increased the same as Strome's on a percentage basis if he did

Put Hayes on this roster and the team is marginally closer to a playoff spot they can't do anything with.

I think that's a fair argument, but Panarin has made his entire career elevating centers. I don't think it's anything particular about Strome.

I do think it's possible that Panarin just likes playing with mediocre players for some reason. Crosby, for example, is always underwhelming with very good wingers and for years Pittsburgh has had to find the "right" linemates for him.

That said, Panarin has never really had a good center and we'd be smart to try it at some point.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
flyers fan coming in peace, i just want to know how big of loss was kevin hayes to this team? because im getting alot of hate of him on the flyers but i really liked him when he was with the rangers.

He at a lot of minutes, played vs top lines and lots of PK time. His presence is missed but it was the right direction for the team

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This shouldn’t be that hard to determine. Just look at the 2018-19 Rangers from the TDL to the end of the season.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
He seems like a good guy and the Rangers could use him but at 7m at 7 years that's a bit much for me

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Considering the Rangers are in rebuild mode, I don’t miss any veteran they part ways with.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
he was a key guy while here,
I was really impressed with his overall improvement and impact the last 3 seasons
after his inconsistent first 2 (too often stubbornly forcing passes into traffic, like Kakko, Buch lately)
but adding Trouba and Bread makes NYR deeper and more balanced,
for now, Strome has picked up some of the O slack, Smith and Howden the PK minutes

Reactions: egelband

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I always saw Trouba's contract for an overpayment for a player who we need who and doesn't come around the often. It was an opportunity we had to take despite knowing we would overpay. I have some issues with that notion:

-Panarin is a player that doesn't make it to free agency. Trouba is not that caliber of player.
-Even counting Fox as a unknown, I still never saw RD as a desperate "overpay for it" need.
-I don't believe rebuilding teams have "overpay for it" needs.

Again, more of a Trouba issue, but I bring it up because the logic we applied to Hayes (he'll get overpaid in the market, he's a good player but we don't need him RIGHT NOW in the middle of a rebuild) strangely wasn't applied to Trouba.

I do have to wonder 4 years from now if trouba is way better than hayes which would mitigate this. Trouba is what 2 or 3 years younger so that's a big part of why I'm more ok with overpaying him than hayes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad