how big of a loss was kevin hayes

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
flyers fan coming in peace, i just want to know how big of loss was kevin hayes to this team? because im getting alot of hate of him on the flyers but i really liked him when he was with the rangers.

Lets put it this way, don't miss him at 7 and 7, but will miss Kreider at 7 and 7.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
flyers fan coming in peace, i just want to know how big of loss was kevin hayes to this team? because im getting alot of hate of him on the flyers but i really liked him when he was with the rangers.
A medium amount. Not a player I want to commit long-term to, though.

H00fHearted

Jun 20, 2018
He'd definitely make the team better, especially defensively. But the production from Strome next to Panarin plus the development of Chytil this season lessens the loss considerably. Plus the contract required to keep him would eventually lead to losing a good young player or two due to a future cap squeeze.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He'd be a useful player, but not at the price. I think pretty much everyone wanted him back. I think most were even willing to increase the hit for a shorter term. No one wanted to go seven years on him, not many anyway. Like if he was willing to take a big discount at 5x6 or something I would have done it and think a lot of others would as well.

But, he was having a career year entering UFA. Bad combination. It seemed a foregone conclusion he'd want to cash in, and he can't be blamed for that. We basically traded Hayes and Pionk for Trouba and Lemieux, and given contracts and all that, I'm good with how that played out.

I liked Hayes but don't really miss him.

Athor

Sep 25, 2019
He's never going to produce like he did last year while under AV, and that will be the entire judgment of his contract. Just like here, AV is going to use Hayes as his top shut-down center which deflate his points as a result. The run & gun style doesn't suit him as well as a cycling based system, and you could see that when DQ was brought over. I don't think he got enough credit here for the impact he had on the ice. He's also a very emotional player from what I've seen. When he's happy he can be dominant, but when he's not he's a $3m dollar player. Not sure how much the switch from NYC to Philly has played in that.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Pretty big loss, for this season at least. He provided a lot of secondary scoring.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Would you have given him over 7m and a no movement clause on a rebuilding team?

Salary cap matters

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Would you have given him over 7m and a no movement clause on a rebuilding team?

Salary cap matters

it does, but we have problems on this team as well, nolan patrick was suppose to be our second line center but he kept getting injuried but we dont have anyone in our farm system that was ready for that role and the center position in free agency wasnt very good and the players like trouba and panarin that we were interested in, they have no interest in signing with the flyers, only hayes was interested, so i guess it was the only option we had because it's possible that patrick may never play again.

Reactions: egelband

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
it does, but we have problems on this team as well, nolan patrick was suppose to be our second line center but he kept getting injuried but we dont have anyone in our farm system that was ready for that role and the center position in free agency wasnt very good and the players like trouba and panarin that we were interested in, they have no interest in signing with the flyers, only hayes was interested, so i guess it was the only option we had because it's possible that patrick may never play again.
And that’s fine. He made more sense for the Flyers than the Rangers

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I mean there's no question the Rangers would benefit from having another 50 point center in the lineup. Zibanejad-Hayes-Chytil is great depth. The issue is Hayes' contract and how it fits in with the Rangers timeline. He's 28 and has another six years at $7 million. At 28 it's more likely than not he gets worse from here on out.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
He was always a fun player to watch, maybe even because of his weaknesses instead of in spite of them.

Non-hockey fan housemate: "Who's the tall guy who always has the puck, he looks great!"
Me: "Yeah, but..."

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I think Strome is on pace to easily surpass Hayes’ numbers from last year.

That may be true, but I view him on a line with Panarin, so he's not really secondary scoring for me by definition. While we have the top 6 contributing pretty consistently, there's a big drop off after that whereas Hayes was 3C a lot of the time when he was here and provided some scoring depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad