How big influence will results of this year’s WC have on attendance in Switzerland 2020?

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
99.9% of the Italians that know hockey exists are in Südtirol. If Italy plays its matches in Zürich it is possible some would come. If they play in Lausanne, you may as well be talking about Sweden.
A lot of people from Milan and Varese have been hockey supporters back in the 80s/90s. They will also come to Zürich.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I think the difference between Austria/France vs GB/Italy is not so big. Just because Austria is close, it doesn't mean that they're followed by many fans.

I think the bigger "problem" is Kazakhstan + Belarus coming up. Slovenia or Hungary would've brought more fans.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Germans dont attend WC much outside their homes, could be different especially if Germany sensationally reaches SF.

Agree with you second statement, but there were many terrorist incidents at the time and even today, I’m not particularly surprised they approached this question tightly, on the other you have probably never been to China if you consider this to be tight... I would say little strict.
Been to Shanghai 3 times. Not to any major sporting events, but in general I don't get how that's relevant.

I do understand the Paris situation, but in general if they can't even allow alcohol in the venue it's likely a bad choice for a IIHF WC venue.
Cologne is the only IIHF WC venue I've attended, but it was a great atmosphere. Definitely allowed drinking, just like DEL matches. Out front and around the arena were further food, beverage, and alcohol sellers. Many tables or spots to chill on the grass. Nearby bars & restaurants, and old city only ~10 minutes away by tram or even walk-able. I saw many, for example, Latvians that appeared to drive in small vans from Latvia. They'd be chilling around the van drinking peacefully. Anyways from what I saw the Germans understood and executed much better than the French in this 2017 case.
btw many Germans drove to Cologne from Bavaria... I'm pretty sure Zurich is arguably the same drive not to mention the language is a non issue.

Regardless I am optimistic about 2020, and look forward to attend in some capacity myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad