How big influence will results of this year’s WC have on attendance in Switzerland 2020?

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Now that we know that Swiss closest neighbors are relegated for next year, will 2020 still draw decent attendance numbers? Probably yes, since there has been great success on international level for Swiss and their fans gonna be excited to see their heroes, but it could have been much better if Austrian fans and french fans in french speaking territories could show up too.

What do you think?

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
We’re just as close to Switzerland as Austria and France :(
Seriously, there are around 20 people in Vorarlberg and the French are not really hockey crazy. I think can Swiss alone are crazy enough to fill the Arenas plus some German hockey hotbeds nearby.

Reactions: MrGold

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
We’re just as close to Switzerland as Austria and France :(
Seriously, there are around 20 people in Vorarlberg and the French are not really hockey crazy. I think can Swiss alone are crazy enough to fill the Arenas plus some German hockey hotbeds nearby.
I know I didn’t forget you don’t worry, you are our (Czech) neighbour as well, not that many German fans usually travel to WC abroad imo.
I checked NLA attendances and Lausanne HC had 6550 average in their 6600 seats hall that’s nice, also other French-Swiss based teams have good attendances. Question is if they will be willing to attend non-Swiss teams.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I doubt it will make much of a difference to be honest.

I think that regardless of visiting fans, the tournament will be well supported by Swiss residents. Now, how many seats will actually filled? I cannot say. But they will be sold.

In terms of visiting fans, I don't think geography plays that big of a role in Europe today. Especially to when you consider the costs of Switzerland. For Austrian and French fans it would have been cheaper for them to fly to Slovakia and stay there than it will be for them to stay a day or two in Switzerland next year.

Marky1999

Sep 5, 2016
Most likely Czech Republic will have a lot of fans as they aren't that far away from Switzerland. And maybe there will be more Italian fans since Italy borders Switzerland.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I think it's going to be minimal.

WRC didn't really affect WHC, as you can see:

Reactions: Exarz

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I know I didn’t forget you don’t worry, you are our (Czech) neighbour as well, not that many German fans usually travel to WC abroad imo.
I checked NLA attendances and Lausanne HC had 6550 average in their 6600 seats hall that’s nice, also other French-Swiss based teams have good attendances. Question is if they will be willing to attend non-Swiss teams.

Let me put it this way, if you go on ticketcorner.ch right now there are fewer than 100 full tournament ticket packages available in Lausanne.

Now, some of the other packages may be tied to season tickets, which means they may become available later.

But I fully expect that every game in Lausanne will be 95% sold out or greater.

LHC is the main team in Lausanne (i.e. bigger than football) and enjoys a great deal of corporate support to boot.

Hockey is also pretty close to being the main team sport in Genève as well.

Plus there are significant expat populations for a number of the "smaller" teams that will be in the tournament next year.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Let me put it this way, if you go on ticketcorner.ch right now there are fewer than 100 full tournament ticket packages available in Lausanne.

Now, some of the other packages may be tied to season tickets, which means they may become available later.

LHC is the main team in Lausanne (i.e. bigger than football) and enjoys a great deal of corporate support to boot.

Plus there are significant expat populations for a number of the "smaller" teams that will be in the tournament next year.
I bet you're a Team Switzerland fan.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
The British tend to follow their team in large numbers, I think that Britain being there over France will actually rather increase the attendance even though France is a neighboring country.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Most likely Czech Republic will have a lot of fans as they aren't that far away from Switzerland. And maybe there will be more Italian fans since Italy borders Switzerland.

Czechs are better off flying.

99.9% of the Italians that know hockey exists are in Südtirol. If Italy plays its matches in Zürich it is possible some would come. If they play in Lausanne, you may as well be talking about Sweden.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019

Wow, didn’t expect them to be away this fast not even 14 days after they have started selling them. Will there even be game day tickets? Funny new arena in Lausanne is delayed in construction, still tickets are almost sold. :D

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Wow, didn’t expect them to be away this fast not even 14 days after they have started selling them. Will there even be game day tickets? Funny new arena in Lausanne is delayed in construction, still tickets are almost sold. :D

Game days I don't know.

There will be a lot available on the secondary market though.

And for anyone with even the smallest connections to the corporate world, it will be very easy to get tickets to many of the games.

Regarding the delay, with big construction projects anything can happen but it is incredibly unlikely that the delays will effect the WHC. The arena was scheduled to open something like September 20, 2019 and so far they've only pushed it back a week. So we'd have to be talking some catastrophic stuff for the delays to be in play come a year from now.

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Nope. Not by any stretch. Am a Canadian that just happens to live here.
You have a good chance Canada wins, then USA second, Russia/Sweden/Finland/Czech ... ah you knew that already.

See you in the final, Sir. :)

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012

Let's see if this will also be like that next season, since the great SFC is finally back!:thumbu:

Back to topic. Are games played in Lausanne and Zürich?
Zürich is a bad city for sports... (let's hope it's different for the national team... at least the national team has kind of success compared to the 3 top league clubs, hockey & football combined, from the city:sarcasm::naughty:)

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
If the Swiss make it to semifinals, then all good. Other i see it dark.

I wouldn't worry about it that much. Switzerland is in a good location for people from all Europe to come, plus there are people from many of the countries in the tournament who live in Switzerland.

Maybe the bottom feeders matches won't be as well attended as in Slovakia this year, but that will be nothing special compared to many previous tourneys.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Zürich is a bad city for sports... (let's hope it's different for the national team... at least the national team has kind of success compared to the 3 top league clubs, hockey & football combined, from the city:sarcasm::naughty:)

What are you talking about ZSC had 9700 people attendance in average out of 11200 seats in arena this season, obviously event of this character draws even more people.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
It's quite weird that the country with the highest average attendance outside the NHL had the lowest WHC attendance the last 10 years (no one else had below 400k, and that even with Bern as a host city in 2009).

But it has nothing to do with which of our neighbours is in it or not. No offense to them, but there aren't too many hockey fans in France/Italy and to a lesser extend in Austria. The problem lies within tourism imho, as most people combine the WHC with a short holiday (like a city-trip) and Switzerland is infamously expensive. As a swiss, i can totally understand someone saving that extra money for something else and think some of the less attractive (on paper) group games suffering a bit. But as others have already said, nothing extraordinnary.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
It's quite weird that the country with the highest average attendance outside the NHL had the lowest WHC attendance the last 10 years (no one else had below 400k, and that even with Bern as a host city in 2009).

But it has nothing to do with which of our neighbours is in it or not. No offense to them, but there aren't too many hockey fans in France/Italy and to a lesser extend in Austria. The problem lies within tourism imho, as most people combine the WHC with a short holiday (like a city-trip) and Switzerland is infamously expensive. As a swiss, i can totally understand someone saving that extra money for something else and think some of the less attractive (on paper) group games suffering a bit. But as others have already said, nothing extraordinnary.

As mentioned earlier, almost all , all game passes are sold, it’s question if people show up for Italy vs Belarus in that case though.

It will be different this time around, in 2009 it was long time no success for Swiss, this time they reign World vice- champions, twice actually. People will be hyped that’s for sure. Also, in 2009 arena in Bern had capacity of 12000 and second arena just 7000.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
You've still got the Germans, travelling Euro hockey fans, rich expats, and local hockey nuts.

Just don't be boring like Paris 2017 (no alcohol, no pre-gaming area, super tight security). I'm sure the Swiss know how to host a European hockey tournament.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
You've still got the Germans, travelling Euro hockey fans, rich expats, and local hockey nuts.

Just don't be boring like Paris 2017 (no alcohol, no pre-gaming area, super tight security). I'm sure the Swiss know how to host a European hockey tournament.

Germans dont attend WC much outside their homes, could be different especially if Germany sensationally reaches SF.

Agree with you second statement, but there were many terrorist incidents at the time and even today, I’m not particularly surprised they approached this question tightly, on the other you have probably never been to China if you consider this to be tight... I would say little strict.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad