How are you going to remember Spezza?

R2010

May 23, 2011
Top 5 pure talented 'C' in the league.
PPG career player with often little support.
Hindered tremendously by injuries throughout career.
Supremely underrated compared to other stars who he is better than (e.g. Nash, Staal etc...).
Class act. Nicest guy off the ice.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Spent 10 years looking for an Elite #2 Centre to play behind Spezza, acquire one, develop him, trade Spezza, Will spend years looking for a true #1 Centre...

QFT. True #1 centres of Spezza's calibre are like unicorns, and we just gave him away for a handful of magic beans. :shakehead

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We had three #1 RWers and no #1 C for awhile.

It's like the Blue Jays with Cy Young pitching and no bats or vice versa.

Ultimately, I think his injury history defined him as much as anything else, which is unfortunate for a talent like him.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
I will remember Spezza as the player who always left me wanting more, and in the end was a disappointment. Had all the skill and talent to be a generational talent, but not the courage and drive to make it happen. Maybe he lacked the brains to do it for all I know, but he was never able to sustain those flashes of brilliance he would show one or two games a year.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I became a fan of the Senators because of him, Hossa, Havlat, Alfie and co. Time flies I must say. I'm sad to see him leave but sometimes we have to move on and unfortunately I think here that is the case for both Spezz and the Senators.

I'll remember him for his insane vision and his high end skills and for all the times he got me out of my seat at Corel/SBP/CTC. Thank you for the memories Spezz and the best of luck to you and your family!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yep.

This story is strongly supported by what his teammates have been saying. :sarcasm:

Because if there's one thing that holds true for NHL players - they wear their emotions and thoughts on their sleeves and don't stick to clichés and positivity.

Kr0nikPayn3

Sep 19, 2005
Orleans, Ontario
Very good faceoff guy
Great shot (not used nearly enough)
Great passing (when not blindly passing)
Great for the community.

Pros outweighed the Cons, glad he was a part of this franchise.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Some thoughts:

This marks the end of a Sens era for me. The last offensive star to leave the team from our golden years. This team will now have to form a new identity and appears to be poised to rebuild slowly, rather than make moves to contend.

Like many of the older fans who have watched Spezza's entire career, this is a sad moment for me, though definitely from a sports entertainment perspective, rather than a real world one.

Spezza never got his due from a terribly vocal segment of the fanbase because they always had expectations of him that he was never going to fulfill. If he was a beast defensively, or was more aggressive, he could have been the best player in the world. The fact that he was neither of these thing soured so many people into being unable to appreciate the superstar player that he was.

There is a life lesson here that some people should learn; enjoy the things that you have for what they are, instead of always wishing they were better.

I'll remember that no matter what he did he also brought out the absolute worst in our fan base, some of the worst comments, and most dogged and mindless hate that I have seen, and all heaped on a player who never shied from the media, was a consummate professional, super in the community, and clearly loved to play the game. He loved the Ottawa Senators and gave 11 years of elite level hockey to our city and fans.

It really bothered me to come in here day after day and read the comments from the haters this year, to see how much they relished in Spezza's struggles early on, and how venomously they denied his later success when he was fully healed (and they're still doing it). People on here took personal offence against the guy because he didn't play the game they wanted him too. They seemed to feel that he could be much better, but chose not to be, as though a guy who lives and breathes, and loves hockey like Spezza was purposely not playing as well as he could. It made life on the boards almost unbearable.

With Spezza's departure at least there is some solace in the fact that these posters will finally shut the **** up.

To me Spezza was:

-Best offensive forward this team has ever had
-Scored some of the prettiest goals and set up some of the prettiest plays the league has seen
-Was a star prospect who actually became a star (as Trent noted)
-Was the offensive linchpin of our best offensive years, and some of the happiest times as a Sens fan
-Was always so excited about starting each season, and showed a willingness to learn and to excel at the game.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I will remember Spezza as the player who always left me wanting more, and in the end was a disappointment. Had all the skill and talent to be a generational talent, but not the courage and drive to make it happen. Maybe he lacked the brains to do it for all I know, but he was never able to sustain those flashes of brilliance he would show one or two games a year.

I will NEVER understand this.

If he was the defensive stalwart so many wanted he would have been the best player in the world.

Stupid Spezza, not being the best. All we got was a top 10 forward for a decade.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Some thoughts:

This marks the end of a Sens era for me. The last offensive star to leave the team from our golden years. This team will now have to form a new identity and appears to be poised to rebuild slowly, rather than make moves to contend.

Like many of the older fans who have watched Spezza's entire career, this is a sad moment for me, though definitely from a sports entertainment perspective, rather than a real world one.

Spezza never got his due from a terribly vocal segment of the fanbase because they always had expectations of him that he was never going to fulfill. If he was a beast defensively, or was more aggressive, he could have been the best player in the world. The fact that he was neither of these thing soured so many people into being unable to appreciate the superstar player that he was.

There is a life lesson here that some people should learn; enjoy the things that you have for what they are, instead of always wishing they were better.

I'll remember that no matter what he did he also brought out the absolute worst in our fan base, some of the worst comments, and most dogged and mindless hate that I have seen, and all heaped on a player who never shied from the media, was a consummate professional, super in the community, and clearly loved to play the game. He loved the Ottawa Senators and gave 11 years of elite level hockey to our city and fans.

It really bothered me to come in here day after day and read the comments from the haters this year, to see how much they relished in Spezza's struggles early on, and how venomously they denied his later success when he was fully healed (and they're still doing it). People on here took personal offence against the guy because he didn't play the game they wanted him too. They seemed to feel that he could be much better, but chose not to be, as though a guy who lives and breathes, and loves hockey like Spezza was purposely not playing as well as he could. It made life on the boards almost unbearable.

With Spezza's departure at least there is some solace in the fact that these posters will finally shut the **** up.

To me Spezza was:

-Best offensive forward this team has ever had
-Scored some of the prettiest goals and set up some of the prettiest plays the league has seen
-Was a star prospect who actually became a star (as Trent noted)
-Was the offensive linchpin of our best offensive years, and some of the happiest times as a Sens fan
-Was always so excited about starting each season, and showed a willingness to learn and to excel at the game.

Pretty much this. If only he could've a little bit better defensively...this fan base would have truly embraced him. He is, by far one of the most talented players in the NHL and I'd consider ourselves pretty lucky to have that type of player on our team for so long. As much crap as he took from the media/fans, I never remember him shying away from it.

I understand he could have been a better defensive player, but to be quite honest what he contributed to this team far outweighed his negatives when it came to his play. Gy was a magician with the puck who truly carried our team offensively a few years ago.. it was pretty much the Spezza-Karlsson show when he finished 4th in scoring that season. His back problems really stopped him but when he was healthy he was the true definition of a point per game player.

Good luck Spezza.. even though I would get frustrated with you at times as well very few other players on this team ever made me get out of my seat when I saw you carrying the puck into the offensive zone.. I always felt there was a chance you be able to deliver a great pass to someone or just blast it past the goalie.

Good luck with the rest of your career Jason. I think you'll look back and be relieved that you got out of this slowly deteriorating franchise known as the Ottawa Senators

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
Player that was never better than average and constantly carried by his teammates before this year.

Has no concept of when to take risks.
Has no accountability.
Has no will to adapt and work on his game (contrary to what he's saying)
Has low energy.

Glad he's gone. He is the biggest reason we were bad this year.

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa
Most talented player to ever be a Senator. Still pretty rattled that he's gone even though we all knew it was going to happen. No idea where the team will go from here.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I'll remember him as the most talented center that this team has ever had.

I'll remember him as the star who told it's fans that his team was not committed to winning.

I'll remember him as an elite prospect who actually turned into an elite player.

Good luck Spezza! I expect you'll stick it to the Kanasa City Senators, Cleveland Senators or whatever they're called in the last few seasons of your career.

The Quebec Senators

Karlsson2Turris*

Only 2 players remain from our 2007 cup run. Those two happen to be... Chris Phillips and Chris Neil :shakehead

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Only 2 players remain from our 2007 cup run. Those two happen to be... Chris Phillips and Chris Neil :shakehead

how we keep garbage players like that on this team is beyond me.

What's one good thing either of them did this season? What positive things do they bring to this team anymore?

Isn't Chris Phillips the same guy that can't crack the top 4 on the worst defensive team in the league? That's pathetic

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't know

I am a huge fan but I find this ending to be even more difficult to take than Alfie leaving at the twilight of his career

I'm pretty happy with the return (decent rookie, 2 good ceiling long-term prospects and a 2nd round pick) but the fact that he was given the C and bailed at the first sign of adversity certainly tarnishes his image in my eyes

Karlsson2Turris*

"Intangibles"

I really can't see why they can't provide leadership from the press box...

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
-Centered the best line the league has seen in decades
-The line that led us all the way to the finals, including a three-way tie between them to lead the playoffs in scoring
-Point per game
-The best center in franchise history
-I won't miss the occasional give-away, but there's no way this makes us a better team and I guarantee we'll all miss him come the season
Thanks for your time here Jason!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's 2014. And that team lost. If you reunited the whole starting lineup, we'd finish last. It's 2014

Seriously. 10 of them still play in the NHL and the majority play minor roles on their team.

Spezza/Vermette/Fisher/Alfredsson are the only 4 who can put up 40+ points. Phillips and Meszaros are the only two defensemen playing in the NHL from that team.

Emery is a back-up in Philadelphia.

The majority of the 2007 Sens is in the AHL/Europe/Retired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad