Player Discussion How are you feeling about Matthew Knies these days?

How is Knies living up to your initial impression/hopes for him?

• He’s wildly exceeded my expectations.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • He’s doing better than I thought.

Votes: 39 21.8%
  • He’s about what I thought he was.

Votes: 82 45.8%
  • I’m slightly disappointed with his play.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • Hugely disappointed compared to my initial expectations.

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Don't really understand the complaints. He's currently 4th in scoring amongst 2021 drafts players, ahead of lotto picks like Beniers and Johnson. Pretty good for a late 2nd round pick who doesn't get powerplay time.

NHL Stats
He is doing great for a young 2nd round pick.

He is though playing most of his minutes with two of the top players in the world which would make any player look better and put up more points.

Reactions: Ciao

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
He gives me JVR vibes sometimes. Not in a good way.

But overall I think he's gonna be a keeper. He's getting better at using his size. And I think it will only continue to improve.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Would love him a lot more if he could play Center/Get converted to Center.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think those who are complaining envision him being a PPG player in his prime aka 80 points, thus being on pace for 36 in his rookie season would then create disappointment.

I have always envisioned a 50 point player who could maybe top at 65 and does a lot of good things with his size, reach and puck protection. Thus with my expectations, being on pace for 36 points at age 21 is quite good.

I'm literally shocked at the disappointment and now wonder what people expect for Cowan.

Reactions: mjd1001

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Ultimately, making that rumoured deal of Knies + 1st for Hagel + Fleury would've been fine. I still wouldn't have done it but Hagel is clearly showing to be a great offensive player. Though I don't think his incessant whining and dorky voice would play as well here as it is in Tampa where he's more out of the spotlight and the refs don't automatically have a vendetta against him. Hagel also doesn't play as physically as Knies, laying only 41 hits so far this season compared to Knies' 122.

I think writing off Knies as if he'll never reach the current ceiling Hagel has achieved is very premature. Knies is on pace for 37 points as a 21 year old rookie. A similar rookie season to Nichushkin and a similar sophomore season to Meier, both of whom I think are good modern comparables for Knies. Hell Knies is even hitting more than both of those guys did at that stage of their careers so he's ahead of the curve there. I don't see any reason why Knies can't be at least a 50-60 point player.

Knies has a realistic shot at hitting 40 points in his rookie season at 21 years old. I think 50-60 points is probably the bare minimum we can expect consistently throughout his career.

Kid is practically a baby still and has so much room for improvement. Already a good player, but he’s going to be an absolute beast at 24-25 years old.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
He is doing great for a young 2nd round pick.

He is though playing most of his minutes with two of the top players in the world which would make any player look better and put up more points.

Which also means he’s playing against the toughest competition in the league since every team shadows that line with their top defensive players. No one seems to mention that fact.

He still needs to adjust to the league schedule, which is double the games in a season than he’s used to. And he plays so damn hard to the point he looks like he gets exhausted fairly quickly. He’ll get over that in time.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Which also means he’s playing against the toughest competition in the league since every team shadows that line with their top defensive players. No one seems to mention that fact.

He still needs to adjust to the league schedule, which is double the games in a season than he’s used to. And he plays so damn hard to the point he looks like he gets exhausted fairly quickly. He’ll get over that in time.
Agreed that is true, but Marner and Matthew’s will put up points and dominate regardless of who is defending them and who is on their wing. Not taking anything away from him, just adding context.

Sep 18, 2009
I think those who are complaining envision him being a PPG player in his prime aka 80 points, thus being on pace for 36 in his rookie season would then create disappointment.

I have always envisioned a 50 point player who could maybe top at 65 and does a lot of good things with his size, reach and puck protection. Thus with my expectations, being on pace for 36 points at age 21 is quite good.

I'm literally shocked at the disappointment and now wonder what people expect for Cowan.
I would trade Cowan as soon as reasonably achievable for a big man

• Wow
Reactions: TMLife17

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
he is about what I thought he would be.

I still think many on the board over-rate him. He's a decent, young, middle-six player. He is a 15 goal, 35 point guy. For being 21 years old not bad, just not a star-in-the-making.
He is making under $1m per year. If the Leafs could have 3-4 more guys making that money and producing 15 goals a year for them they would be better.

So again, he's giving you some production which is good. He if really far from being a major difference maker at this time though.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
The guy is all effort almost every shift, over estimates his ability to skate through 5 defenders far to often ;) (a bit of a college hockey mindset), he will get bigger with time and more powerful, which as a power forward will help. I think he will get a bit smarter too, I can see a difference in his game between game 1 and today, his positioning has improved, his confidence has improved. I think it's reasonable to expect him to be a 20 goal guy, high end 30 goals a year. I think if he can figure out his board battles and positioning in front of the net he will be a legit top two line player. I think he made the team based on his cap hit and his potential, not on merit. I think today he is on the team based on merit.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
The guy is all effort almost every shift, over estimates his ability to skate through 5 defenders far to often ;) (a bit of a college hockey mindset), he will get bigger with time and more powerful, which as a power forward will help. I think he will get a bit smarter too, I can see a difference in his game between game 1 and today, his positioning has improved, his confidence has improved. I think it's reasonable to expect him to be a 20 goal guy, high end 30 goals a year. I think if he can figure out his board battles and positioning in front of the net he will be a legit top two line player. I think he made the team based on his cap hit and his potential, not on merit. I think today he is on the team based on merit.

I agree. Nothing against the kid, he needs sheltered minutes. NHL is NHL, best of the best
I think right now he's facing top match ups with being on that line. Too much for him

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Yeah, Knies hopefully he finds playoff wheels. He will be good but 2 years from now.Just saying. He needs to hit paydirt this year. We know he is good, is it now?

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
How is he living up to your initial impression/hopes for him?

This thread isn’t about objectively where he sits, more about how you felt about him coming into the league, what your thoughts/hopes for his development were, and where he is now.
he has skill, but, his reaction speeds are too slow for top line duty, he's a hinderance. ...not to mention, he is typically the last one off the ice from the top line (which has caused many issues with getting hemmed in the d-zone), while Matthews is usually the first off.

Reactions: mjd1001

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
He's been fine for a rookie. Disappointing production aside he's clearly an NHL player in some capacity going forward. He has every tool required to be a modern day power forward, only a matter if he can put it all together on a consistent basis.

I think he'll be a complimentary top 6 winger in his prime capable of 25-30 goals and 50-60 points, but might just end up being a good third liner if he ends up as one of those all tools, no toolbox types.

All in all he's a good young player and prospect, but he's not untouchable for me, and I would entertain moving him in a package for a prime aged top 4 right handed defensemen.

Last edited:
Reactions: CincoHolio

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He’s been taking stupid hooking penalties - one per game for a while now.

I think he needs to sit and watch a few games to gain some discipline. He took a penalty in the post season in the few games he played.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
He’s still a kid playing in his first full season.

Not only is he a kid playing against grown, experienced men in the NHL, he’s playing against top lines and top defensive pairings.

He’s playing a longer, more physically demanding season than he’s ever played before.

Kid is going to be terrific. Give him some space and time.

He is going to be a true power forward for us.

I just don’t believe Keefe is the coach to get the best out of him and our young players.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Needs to play on the third line for the foreseeable future. The constant switch to the top line fools him into believing his play warrants it and/or that he belongs there.
Too much too soon. Let him earn it.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
He’s still a kid playing in his first full season.

Not only is he a kid playing against grown, experienced men in the NHL, he’s playing against top lines and top defensive pairings.

He’s playing a longer, more physically demanding season than he’s ever played before.

Kid is going to be terrific. Give him some space and time.

He is going to be a true power forward for us.

I just don’t believe Keefe is the coach to get the best out of him and our young players.

yup

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It was once said Leafs fans overrated Hyman too.

Twelve goals and twenty eight points is pretty damn good if you ask me. Not sure what more anyone could expect. The kid has good game and I like his size.

It's too bad he doesn't seem willing to punch a few more faces.

A little surprising given his old man is such a hard noser. Looking at him you'd expect Knies to be a poor man's Brady Tkachuk. In fact that's kinda exactly what he is.

Except without all the arrogance that comes with being a famous hockey players kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad