Player Discussion How are you feeling about Matthew Knies these days?

How is Knies living up to your initial impression/hopes for him?

• He’s wildly exceeded my expectations.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • He’s doing better than I thought.

Votes: 39 21.8%
  • He’s about what I thought he was.

Votes: 82 45.8%
  • I’m slightly disappointed with his play.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • Hugely disappointed compared to my initial expectations.

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
How is he living up to your initial impression/hopes for him?

This thread isn’t about objectively where he sits, more about how you felt about him coming into the league, what your thoughts/hopes for his development were, and where he is now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Some rookie ups and downs which is to be expected. Definitely has pro level power forward tools but energy and concentration levels have had their ups and downs. Probably enabled to do more of the star level stuff on a top line with Matthews and Marner which is not appropriate at times. Basically saying he can be more high risk than you’d like. Seems like he’s been rejuvenated a bit after the All-Star break. Very assertive in high traffic areas. His continued growth will really help Marner and Matthews break down the cycle in the playoffs acting like a bowling ball whenever teams attempt to park the bus. Hope he gets even meaner.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He has flashes of high level skill/hands, and generally works hard. He's a very good prospect, but he's not in the same realm guys like Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly were. Hence why we got him in the 2nd round. If he puts it all together he'll make a sizable impact for us. The first line is playing great even if he isn't putting up big numbers, and he doesn't get top PP time.

Hopefully he adds a bit more foot speed. But, he's the type of player we've lacked for awhile (a big LWer with a left shot). If people are disappointed they probably hyped him through the moon.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
No doubt in my mind he’s going to be an absolute beauty for a really long time!

He’s got the entire package. And he’s done a lot of things that have wildly exceeded my expectations. He hasn’t done them consistently yet but every part of his game has wowed me at some point.

Hope we can lock him up to a nice long deal at a lower cap hit.

Reactions: ponder

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s exceeded my expectations. Outstanding at puck battles and puck protection, skating is better than I expected, already quite physical, good defensively, good hands, good hockey IQ. For ppl who are disappointed, what were you expecting from a 21 year old, 2nd round pick rookie who’s getting very little PP time?

I’m guessing some ppl are looking at raw points and that’s it, but raw points are heavily dependent on PP opportunities. His 1.83 points/60 mins at even strength is solid - well above some of our vets like Tavares, Bertuzzi, Rielly and Jarnkrok (who are all in the 1.23-1.54 range): NHL Stats

Rookies like Matthews/Marner are the exception, not the rule, and it’s rare to see those kinds of rookie seasons out of anyone but very high picks. He’s a legit top 6 forward for us, who is bringing exceptional physicality/compete/polish for someone so young and inexperienced, I think that’s very impressive for a 21 year old 2nd round pick rook.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Has looked much better lately, does a lot of the dirty work which gives the other 2 space. Has good hands and a good shot.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
He understandably hit a wall earlier but the break seems to have rejuvinated him.

He looks like he can be a true power forward in this league, which is still rare.

I thought he would have morecpoints playing with Mitch and Matty, but that is my mistake.

Getting spoiled by how quickly AM, WN, and MM generated offense is not how it normally happens.

I am excited for he and Robertson,, who also has started to look good, in the coming years.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I'm happy with his play this season, at least to this point. I see a top notch 2nd liner that will bring good hands, hustle and physicality in the making. I can also picture him being a strong contributor to special teams as well. One thing that gives me confidence in a bright future is I don't see any glaring weakness to his game. Admittedly I was becoming concerned with his ability to read the play while defending but there's been improvement in that area already so i'm comfortable it was simply an adjustment to pro.

Voted better than expected.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How is he living up to your initial impression/hopes for him?

This thread isn’t about objectively where he sits, more about how you felt about him coming into the league, what your thoughts/hopes for his development were, and where he is now.
I think for the most part I’ve been disappointed but I think that’s more me having unrealistic expectations.

Lately he’s been great, leaves you excited for what’s to come.

Top line is chugging right now, part of that is his improved play.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He is a rookie and also a big bodied rookie so it will take him time to learn how to leverage his physical advantages. I think we all got excited cause of how seamlessly he fit onto the team in the playoffs and maybe put unrealistic expectations on him, but you gotta remember NCAA guys generally have a difficult time in their first year transitioning to the grind of the NHL schedule. They go from only playing once or twice a week and only 40ish games total per season to literally doubling that in volume, against the most talented and fittest hockey players in the world no less. Him hitting a wall shouldn't be unexpected and is simply part of the growing pains. He also receives little to no PP time as well.

Still, there's a lot to like and he's shown some great flashes and we should all be excited about his future. He reminds me of JVR but with a higher motor and more physically engaged, which is pretty scary when you think about it.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I thought he would be a better fit than Bunting, but he's not. I think Bunting deferred to Matthews and Marner way more often which resulted in a lot more points for him whereas Knies actually has more skill and tries to make plays which results in less points for him.

He's a better player but not as good of a fit at this point. Recently, his passing has really improved and he's getting the puck to Matthews so there's a lot to like going forward.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Won't lie I expected a bit more from him this year but that's just because of the unreasonable expectation he set after his short playoff stint last season. He still shows flashes of being that player often enough and has been very solid for a rookie playing such tough minutes.

The important thing is that it's pretty clear he's going to end up being a very useful piece in a couple seasons when we can make our real push with Tavares off the books.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Looked better in some aspects, particularly board battles and stripping pucks.

Looked a bit (disappointing seems like tooo strong a word haha) underwhelming? in a couple aspects, his scoring hasnt quite been what I hoped but he's coming on as of late and maybe its my fault for over-reaching on his totals (was hoping for 20 goals 25 assists area, so hes definitely not far off!)

One weird thing I particularly dont like how when he falls over, its often pretty emphatic and makes it look like he got blown up when he just got knocked over haha.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
He's fast, physical, plays a heavy game, soft hands, good shot

So far this year he's shown flashes of all of his tools, but hasn't put it all together yet

I can really see him as a 30 goal, power forward. Every team would love to have him

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
In a year or two, he's going to be a beast as he should start to get more of an adult strength body. Just look at Nicky R. He's not getting pushed around like was last year.

Reactions: TMLife17

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's not a finished product by any means but I like his game.

I wouldn't hesitate to bet big on him this summer by doing a 6-8 year deal around 4.5M per

The type of deal that could pay off big time down the road.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Power forwards take longer to develop. He’s got great tools and tons of skill. He’s a decent top6 forward today, he’s going to be a beast when he hits his prime in a few years. I think he’ll be a 30g scorer and fan favourite.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's developing very nicely.

The rookie season has had the standard level ups and downs - namely he clearly isn't used to the physical demands of such a high number of games coming straight out of the NCAA. But I'm as high on him as ever. But you can also see what he's going to be capable of

I think he'll comfortably end up as a top six winger once he's fleshed out his development. A tier below the highest end talent on the team, bit an excellent return from a draft and development pov

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He’s slightly above what I expected.

Expected 15+15 player going into the season and worried about Keefe misusing him in the bottom six.

He’s pacing above that and holding strong in the top 6 as a rookie essentially straight out of college. Trending very well.

Reactions: TMLife17

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He’s been fine.

Displayed his high end ability I’m in spurts but has typical ups and downs as a rookie. But he’s gone through that while still being lined up in the top 6. And he’s playing more games than he ever has and at the highest level.

Lots to like moving forward.

Reactions: Menzinger

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I had him pegged for a third line role going into the season. His TOI and production seem to be more or less in step with that. So...he's about what I thought he was.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I guess I was caught in all the hype before they signed him. At least he appears to work hard etc just expected a better touch around the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad