How are they doing now? (Former Sabres Players) Top 100 pics/stories

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Since game thread isn't up yet (because its the day before the game) and he is a former Sabre - I'll post this news here.

Eric Stephens‏ @icemancometh -
Ryan Miller is indeed off the ice first. Your Ducks starter tonight against Leafs.

Mike Harrington‏ @ByMHarrington -
Got pulled Saturday in Montreal. Would imagine that means #Sabres get Berra here Tuesday night?
Or this -

Eric Stephens‏ @icemancometh -
John Gibson (lower body) taking part in skate. Trading one net with Reto Berra.
First on-ice since leaving Boston game. Imagine hope is to try to get him ready for Buffalo.

LaxSabre - Bummer! Was hoping Ryan will allow a last minute goal giving the Sabres their 1,000 home win. Well there goes any walk-up ticket sales or people buying tickets via StubHub for $6 or STHers getting more than $6 via Stubhub or heck STHers deciding to get off this ass and attend the game. I plan on attending the game and will still be wearing my Miller jersey even though he won't be starting. (Hopefully he is on the bench as the backup to Gibson or Berra so we can see him in warmups.)

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
31 Thoughts: Trying to remedy the NHL's goalie interference controversy - Sportsnet.ca

28. There are interviews you remember. One came late in the 2014-15 season, a nightmare year for the Buffalo Sabres. Down 3-1 to Toronto, they came back to win 4-3. I interviewed Mike Weber after that game, and the next day, Doug MacLean told me he was struck by how passionate the defenceman was about winning in a year the organization was tanking.

“I do remember that,” Weber said Monday, one week after a knee injury ended his professional career. “I’m a kid from Beaver County, PA, half an hour out of Pittsburgh. Told I’d never make it, I worked hard to make it. I took such pride in the jersey. I cared so much, I was willing to die — for a lack of a better word — to represent the organization properly. Every single guy cared so much that year…everyone wants to be on a winner and we understood what the organization was trying to do. They got (Jack) Eichel, and he’s a huge part of what they will be. But our jobs were on the line, our careers were on the line. We took pride in the emblem, but it tested a lot of the players. It definitely made me stronger.”

29. Taken 57th overall in the 2006 Draft, Weber played 351 NHL games with Buffalo and Washington. He spent 2016-17 at AHL Iowa, and started this season with Frolunda in the Swedish league.

“I was hurt last year, but trained all off-season to give it another shot,” he said. “I love hockey and would do whatever to keep playing. But the knee couldn’t hold up. I couldn’t battle and compete like I had to.”

Weber missed the birth of his second child after being traded to Washington. The boy was born earlier than expected, and he couldn’t get back to Buffalo on time. He and wife Janine are expecting their third child in March, and were prepared to do it overseas. “She told me, ‘You did all you can do, gave it everything you had. Let’s go home.’”

Best memory? “Hearing my name called at the draft, walking down to the floor, seeing Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff, telling them, ‘I won’t let you guys down, I will do my best to be here.’ Getting the phone call to make my NHL debut, after only nine AHL games. My third year, I played the whole year in the minors. That reminded me nothing is easy, nothing is given and you have to keep grinding to be better.” He paused. “I was always appreciative of opportunity. I left it all out there and have no regrets. It was a fun ride.”

30. Weber played junior at OHL Windsor and is thrilled Trevor Letowski offered a role in his coaching staff. It is a career he intends to pursue. “The last few years, I’ve been writing down things I liked. At Iowa, it was almost a player/coach role, helping out with penalty kill meetings and making sure younger players knew what to expect.” Maybe someday he will cross paths again with the young man who sat next to him in the Frolunda dressing room. That was likely number one draft pick Rasmus Dahlin. “Great kid. You guys will all find that out pretty shortly.”

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
The #PyeongChang2018 Olympic Winter Games are officially over.

Here's a little story from the closing ceremony and what @TheRealHoff10 said after coming up following the #icehockey gold medal game to carry the flag for Germany:

Sunday night turned out to be pretty amazing in PyeongChang, even though the grand drama of the Olympic Athletes from Russia’s 4-3 overtime victory over Ehrhoff’s spunky Germans was a tough act to follow.

Ehrhoff, 35, finally handed off the flag to a volunteer and enthusiastically clapped as he followed a pair of mascots during the athletes’ procession. He appeared energized despite logging a team-high 26:15 in the hard-fought gold medal game.

About representing his country one more time at the closing ceremonies, Ehrhoff said after the final: “Oh, it’s amazing. I’m so excited. You know, it was a little downer when we got the OT goal against. Kind of, we had a hand on the gold medal, but still, you know, I’m so proud of my team and we played such a great Olympics. We're going home with a medal and it’s just a great honour. We’re so excited.”

Rest Of The Article - Fond Farewell To Korea - Sunday, February 25 - IIHF Website.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Krupp the Younger, though, was born in the United States, played junior hockey in Canada, and takes his given name from a Swedish great, the tennis maestro named Borg. “My parents were big tennis fans, so loved tennis and named me after Bjorn Borg,” the hockey player said with a chuckle. “I play a little tennis, but I’m not that good.”

Born in Buffalo while his dad was playing for the Sabres, Bjorn got his big break when he was eleven years old and his dad caught unawares. “It’s kind of a sad story,” Bjorn recounted, “because when my dad was finishing his career in Atlanta, he had two teammates, Jeff Cowan and Dan Snyder, with the Thrashers. They actually saw me at a “learn to skate” event, and they told my dad to get me some equipment and put me in house league. They kind of forced my dad to get me out. Then, two or three weeks later, Dan Snyder was killed in a car crash. But he’s one of the main reasons I’m playing hockey.”

Krupp joined, loved it, and got good very quickly. But Atlanta is no hockey hotbed, though, so Krupp played on teams that always had to travel to get good competition. Cue forward a few years. “I played on a AAA team in the south, and while we were travelling I was scouted by USA Hockey and they invited me to a camp. I got in and played with the National Team Development Program for a year (2007-2008). It was a great experience.”

Rest Of The Article - Bjorn The Ice Man - Tuesday, February 20 - IIHF Website.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Tampa Bay Lightning‏ @TBLightning -
CORY CONACHER!!! Gourde stops short at the top of the circle and feeds it up to Girardi who lets it loose from the blueline. Conacher gets a piece of it and then follows the rebound to lift it over Johnson for his seventh! 1-0 #Bolts! #BUFvsTBL

John Vogl‏ @BuffNewsVogl -
Former Sabres and Canisius forward Cory Conacher finds wide-open space in front, buries rebound to give Lighting a 1-0 lead with 1:57 left in first. He has seven goals in 28 games.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/BUFvsTBL?src=hash

Tampa Bay Lightning‏ @TBLightning -
Conacher: “They’ve been playing well lately and we should have expected that.
In the end, we didn’t do the right things to win the game.” #BUFvsTBL

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Currently have the pleasure of watching Nathan Gerbe, Zac Dalpe, and Brady Austin live and in person! Didn't know they all found their way to the cleveland monsters.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
The Players' Tribune‏@PlayersTribune -

"It turns out that there is a bullet in the gun. And now it’s headed right for my brain - the brain that, over the course of 47 years, had proven to be among my worst enemies."

Clint Malarchuk shot himself. But he is here to tell you his story:

Bleeding Out | By Clint Malarchuk - Thursday, March 22 - Players Tribune Website.

LaxSabre - Warning - if you decide to click on the link above to read the article - there is a picture of Malarchuk holding his neck which is bleeding out. Photo was taken just seconds after him getting his neck cut open by another players skate. (I would normally post the tweet promoting this article but the same picture is included in the tweet and I didn't want to upset people here who might not like to see such things.)

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
NHL @NHL -
"Do not do what I did. Don't live in silence. Please don't." - @cmalarchuk

Malarchuk to attend Mental Health Awareness Night hosted by Avalanche

Former NHL goalie brings message of hope to those who have attempted suicide.

When former NHL goaltender Clint Malarchuk woke up from a coma in 2008, in the intensive care unit, he felt he had been spared. And he felt there was a reason. It was his third brush with death, the second suicide attempt.

"That bullet should have actually killed me," Malarchuk said. "Now I realize why I went through all this. I realize why I played in the NHL. It's just a platform. The NHL gives me a platform to speak, to talk, where people will listen."

Malarchuk and former teammate/Hockey Hall of Fame member Pat LaFontaine will be appearing at the Colorado Avalanche's game against the Los Angeles Kings at Pepsi Center on Thursday to support Mental Health Awareness Night. The event is being put on in collaboration with the Marcus Institute for Brain Health, the Cohen Veterans Networks and the Avalanche.

Why is this important to him? It's simple. "I'm a suicide survivor," said Malarchuk.

Rest Of The Article - Malarchuk to attend Mental Health Awareness Night hosted by Avalanche

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad