How are coaches called "chokers"?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Someone who has a group with good talent and a system that works well, but is unable to adapt if the opponent figures it out. He'll just watch as his team gets shredded to pieces in a best of 7 series, not changing a thing.

This is Jon Cooper getting out-coached in the 2015 Cup final against Quenneville, and then again in 2019 against Tortorella.

Reactions: Fixxer

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah, I definitely don’t think you can call a NHL coach a choker.

Maybe a NFL coach because play calling has a bigger impact on the game.

NHL coaching is more about establishing a culture and system in which your players have success.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
You didn’t, but to say BB was “completely outcoached” seems silly considering that had Halak played just a little worse, we’re not talking about that series in this thread.
He was completely outcoached. Halak played incredibly well but the amount of shots are extremely misleading because the Habs defense put up excellent work to limit the actual dangerous shots and when these shots did come through, Halak stopped them. Don't get it twisted, Montreal outplayed Washington during that series. Halak wasn't the sole factor for their win.

The defense put on a clinic and I especially remember Hal Gill playing very well at the time along with Gorges.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Or.. his players get him to game 7's but he keeps throwing it all away?
But he’s not on the ice and the players are the difference makers except when they obviously are not. There is a reason a good player can get 10 mil a good coach a million.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
But he’s not on the ice and the players are the difference makers except when they obviously are not. There is a reason a good player can get 10 mil a good coach a million.
You underestimate the importance of systems. And systems need adjusting if they aren't working against a specific opponent.

Also, good coaches make over 6 million in the NHL.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1. Don Cherry.
A Too Many Men penalty cost them everything.
The blowhard went immediately into broadcasting.

2. Sid Abel & Michel Bergeron.
300+ wins records but MORE losses, no cups pre 1990's.

3. Which is worse: Rick Bowness coaching only 143 wins in 501 games, or Paul Maurice coaching an NHL record 647 losses with no championships over a 22-year career?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
A.V. in 2017 against Ottawa. Caps coach last year. Dan Bylsma in 2010 & 2012. Babcock last year. There are countless examples where coaches were a huge reason for their team losing a series. Being able to adapt, and not overthink things, are at least two critical areas when getting into a playoff series.
Don Cherry with those Bruins 70's teams not winning a Cup.............he was the original choker!! No wonder Sinden fired his a$$!!!

Coach's who have great teams, who make some bizarre decisions, will always be labelled chokers, because their main job once the game starts, is to have the right guys on the ice, at the right time. This is a huge fail at times for some, pro coaches.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Yeah, I definitely don’t think you can call a NHL coach a choker.

Maybe a NFL coach because play calling has a bigger impact on the game.

NHL coaching is more about establishing a culture and system in which your players have success.

theres also trying to get your best offensive players out against the #1 pairing as little as possible, sheltering garbage lines against the other teams top offensive threats, changing the composition of your lines if theyre getting caved in mid game, recognizing if a certain opposing player needs more care, trying to game the referees, adjusting your offensive and defensive strategies based in the opponents play style etc.

contrary to a lot of peoples beliefs, theres more to a good coach than chewing gum rate/min, and being a glorified skills coach and cheerleader.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
So the players get all the credit for reaching game 7 and the coach gets all the blame for losing game 7?
The line I quoted went to the other extreme, claiming a coach has done a good job sending his team to game 7's, giving his players a chance to take it home (which they then failed to do).

So I went to the other logical extreme to point out how silly it is.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
4 years in a row.

At home

That's only with Anaheim too. In Washington, he lost three straight home game 7's. Philly, Pittsburgh, and Montreal respectively.

Bruce Boudreau has lost seven game 7's. All with home ice. The Caps had home ice advantage in 2011. They were swept by Tampa. The Wild had home ice in 2017. They lost to the Blues in 5 games. All in all, 9 postseason series losses with home ice.

I'll go a step further. In 2009 and 2010, his teams blew a 2-0, and 3-1 series lead respectively. In 2013, his team blew a 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2 series lead. In 2014, his team blew a 3-2 series lead. In 2015, his team blew a 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2 series lead. In 2016, his team blew a 3-2 series lead.

Not all his fault. But I still can't believe the above is even possible.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Don Cherry with those Bruins 70's teams not winning a Cup.............he was the original choker!! No wonder Sinden fired his a$$!!!

Coach's who have great teams, who make some bizarre decisions, will always be labelled chokers, because their main job once the game starts, is to have the right guys on the ice, at the right time. This is a huge fail at times for some, pro coaches.

Yep. After football, coaching matters most in Hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad