How about organising a #MelnykOUT rally?

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
It was never good enough with Karlsson so what's your point? Oh it will get worse? 12M worse? Maybe he is gambling it won't be 12M worse.

6000 seasons is not conducive to 12M contracts. Does it make any financial sense?
6000 tickets would be more then 12M though, 6000 300 level centre upper tickets would be 13.53 million. Now one of those is american and the other is Canadian but I also chose one of the cheapest season tickets.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
6000 tickets would be more then 12M though, 6000 300 level centre upper tickets would be 13.53 million. Now one of those is american and the other is Canadian but I also chose one of the cheapest season tickets.

An 11 million USD salary would cost the Senators 14.44 Canadian (today).

remember, the Senators Salaries are paid in US dollars, and their revenues are in CDN dollars ......... which they use to buy US dollars.

Also the Majority of their expenses are in US dollars, in travel costs for road trips and such

XE: USD / CAD Currency Chart. US Dollar to Canadian Dollar Rates

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
An 11 million USD salary would cost the Senators 14.44 Canadian (today).

remember, the Senators Salaries are paid in US dollars, and their revenues are in CDN dollars ......... which they use to buy US dollars.

Also the Majority of their expenses are in US dollars, in travel costs for road trips and such

XE: USD / CAD Currency Chart. US Dollar to Canadian Dollar Rates
Revenues are reported in USD and are fine when compared to the rest of the league. I don’t care what the exchange rate is and it doesn’t excuse trying to spend at the cap floor.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Not that I want to side with Melnyk, but can you provide an exact list of what happened regarding this? Living in Montreal, and seriously not paying attention to ownership before, the only thing I am aware of is what he said at the outdoor game.

Yup, that's my take as well.

We'll just do more damage by putting the team in a worse financial state that it already is. Melnyk will keep a cap floor team and even take LTIR contracts to reach the floor, and young players will want gone as soon as they deserve the big bucks. No one will want to play in Ottawa anymore, so no more competitiveness (cheapest GM possible = underwhelming returns, no UFA signings, etc). The Sens will be even more of a talent producer for other teams benefit (and drafting/developing is clearly the strength of this organization). I mean, not sure Tkachuk, Brown, Chabot, etc will enjoy playing at "home" in front of 80% Leafs and Habs fans... All of that because of an ego battle between the fans and the owner.

Melnyk was truly the savior as the franchise back :

Eugene Melnyk saved the Senators in 2003

Why was it so important this team stayed in Canada and Ottawa?

"Because of nationality and because of pride," Melnyk said. "I am a proud Canadian and I would have just been, frankly, going crazy if I saw this team (move).

"I didn’t know Ottawa that well at all. I had no connections to Ottawa, but I do have connections to Canada. I came to Ottawa hoping for the best. It’s a matter of pride. I didn’t want people to look at Canada as a bunch of losers that knows hockey, but runs franchises into the ground. We’re still here."

"You do want to win and you do want to be very proud of your team. I’m very proud of my team and the fans and, frankly, everyone in Ottawa that I’ve touched. It’s been very gratifying. It’s kind of what keeps you ticking because you look forward to the next game. I’m hoping the fans feel the same way and that they participate. If that’s going well, then everything is going well."

That article is from 2015, it's sad that 2 years later everything changed. I seriously don't even know why it escalated so quickly. I know he hasn't been "spending" close to what the Habs and Leafs can do, but there's an immense difference in market size and viability

So yeah, given that he saved hockey in Ottawa and that now he sees "MelnykOut" campaigns even on billboards, he could be preparing his vengeance. Scary.

The cap has been rising way too fast for smaller markets.

All that being said, and I am not a Melnyk fan at all, retaining money on Phaneuf, taking Gaborik back (it will eventually cost money to get rid of his contract), buyout Burrows and the insistence on including Ryan in a Karlsson deal, and all the trades that happened already, shows me that they might have the intention on being more competitive, but are going into a massive youth movement, a bit like they did in 2011. And it seriously worked really well, made the playoffs the 2 following year and in 2012-13, even won the first round against the #2 seed divisional rival in 5 little games. They missed the playoffs by 5 points in 2013-14 but then had a really strong season in 2014-15. Then missed by 8 pts the year after and finally, the peak in 2016-17 with a game 7 in ECF.

Most of the angry “fans” want change. They picked Melnyk as their target. Most of the BS is rumour. They do not have any real reason to protest other than the fact that their team is possibly going to be going through a rebuild and that their arch rivals are now a real cup contender. Yawn.

How about using your energy putting a Karlsson fan rally together where you show that you want him to stay?

Hey fans... How about not scaring all the prospects into leaving?

Reactions: Xspyrit

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Most of the angry “fans” want change. They picked Melnyk as their target. Most of the BS is rumour. They do not have any real reason to protest other than the fact that their team is possibly going to be going through a rebuild and that their arch rivals are now a real cup contender. Yawn.

How about using your energy putting a Karlsson fan rally together where you show that you want him to stay?

Yeah because we’re the ones that put out a statement that almost mocked the sexual harassment charge against the Assistant GM.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

Putting your arrogance aside (yawn), you’re welcome to start a Karlsson fan rally; it’s a great idea!

Please let us know the details as soon as available.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Putting your arrogance aside (yawn), you’re welcome to start a Karlsson fan rally; it’s a great idea!

Please let us know the details as soon as available.

Actually, the #KarlssonOut rally is working so we don't need anymore rallies. Fans are doing a great job!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Hi Dracula!

Reactions: Liliaceae

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Yeah because we’re the ones that put out a statement that almost mocked the sexual harassment charge against the Assistant GM.
WHAT?!? Sure lets blame EM for this too. Randy has worked for this orginisation for 20 years and know he has a little problem, and many of the EM out heroes are blaming the owner too. Sad

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Revenues are reported in USD and are fine when compared to the rest of the league. I don’t care what the exchange rate is and it doesn’t excuse trying to spend at the cap floor.

I know it's kinda hard for someone to wrap their head around this, but let me try this.

If you were an owner of a McDonalds franchise in Ottawa, and you had to pay your employees in US dollars, and all of your customers paid for their orders in CDN dollars ........ this would be a bit of a disadvantage if all the other McDonalds in Ottawa were paying their employees in CDN dollars.

You as and owner would have to, on a regular basis, take your CDN revenues, and convert them into US dollars in order to pay for your employees. Five years ago the exchange rate would see you paying about $1.04 CDN for every US dollar you had to buy ..... fast forward to today, it will cost you about $1.34 CDN to buy that same one US dollar ....... so roughly about an increase of about 30% in your cost to convert from your CDN revenues into US dollars to pay your employees.

In order to offset that cost, ticket prices would have to increase 30% to keep up with the US based teams. I don' think that ticket prices, in Ottawa have done so.

To say that you don't care what the exchange rate is ignoring the reality faced by the Senators, who operate in one of the smallest markets in the NHL.

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
I can't even imagine what that is gonna look like.

Is it possible Geno's end game is to move? Is he eyeing a greener pasture but has to go full Major League and suck to the point where he can then move the team?

It almost feels to me like he's trying to punish the fans for not seeing him as the great saviour of the franchise as well. It's such a wierd situation.
I'd expect close to or less than 11,000 for the home opener, and 90% Habs/Leafs fans when they come visit. Interest in the team is at an all time low IMO. Many of the die hards are holding out on giving Melnyk money, and many of the casuals will, if not already, lose interest when EK leaves and the product on the ice is composed almost entirely of AHL players who are not yet ready to play in the NHL.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna

Yeah us fans need to stop making these outrageous statements to the press. It's really hurting the prospects opinion of Ottawa.

"Melnyk brought up the possibility of relocation, took a shot at fans and said a new downtown arena might never happen while speaking during the Senators' alumni game taking place at Parliament Hill Friday night. His comments came less than 24 hours before Ottawa hosts the Montreal Canadiens in the NHL 100 Classic."

"At one point one of the two have to break," said Melnyk. "You can't keep spending at the top end and getting the lowest revenues.
"Here we're fighting everyday to sell a ticket, honest to God. When you get to the third round of the playoffs and you're begging people to buy a ticket something's wrong with that picture so we're just hoping that changes."

I'm not sure why these type of statements would make Melnyk a target? I mean he is just such a lovable guy to begin with. I bet Bobby was lying when he said he thought he and Erik were traded too. Just a bunch of baseless rumors I'd say!

Last edited:

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
I know it's kinda hard for someone to wrap their head around this, but let me try this.

If you were an owner of a McDonalds franchise in Ottawa, and you had to pay your employees in US dollars, and all of your customers paid for their orders in CDN dollars ........ this would be a bit of a disadvantage if all the other McDonalds in Ottawa were paying their employees in CDN dollars.

You as and owner would have to, on a regular basis, take your CDN revenues, and convert them into US dollars in order to pay for your employees. Five years ago the exchange rate would see you paying about $1.04 CDN for every US dollar you had to buy ..... fast forward to today, it will cost you about $1.34 CDN to buy that same one US dollar ....... so roughly about an increase of about 30% in your cost to convert from your CDN revenues into US dollars to pay your employees.

In order to offset that cost, ticket prices would have to increase 30% to keep up with the US based teams. I don' think that ticket prices, in Ottawa have done so.

To say that you don't care what the exchange rate is ignoring the reality faced by the Senators, who operate in one of the smallest markets in the NHL.
If it's that bad..then sell. Pretty simple

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If it's that bad..then sell. Pretty simple

Yeah, some people think that selling the Senators will solve all the problems faced by one of the smallest markets in the NHL, with all challenges it faces such as the current location of the arena, the exchange rate fluctuations that have a direct impact on revenues.

These same people assume that a new owner is going to sugar daddy the franchise and use their own money to prop up the team, spend to cap and everything going to be okay.

Sorry to say this, but anyone interested in buying the franchise already knows the challenges the Senators face, and will not throw their own money at the team year after year in effect subsidizing the team at their own expense.

Paying fans would need to step up, and attend more games than they are currently, and the fair-weather fans would have to put their money where their mouths are, otherwise the new owner will be accused of being a cheapskate and meddling with the team etc etc.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
*sigh*

Once again, many people on here have already said they'd purchase more tickets after Eugene is gone. And yes, we all know tickets at Lebreton will be more expensive. So cut the bull****.

But the fair-weather fans that have declared they will not spend a dime on anything EM related, and therefore will not attend any events at a Lebreton Flats arena owned by EM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad