Proposal: How about a couple of Oilers for depth

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I would take Penner over Smyth or Whitney. I think Penner would be a better fit for the third line (and while Bourque is getting better he IMO isn't the type of player that line needs).

I am not sure though what LA would want in return and whether I would be willing to see the team give it up.

When is the trade deadline in the shortened season? One thing with the short season is that it seems the fortunes of any team except the bottom could change quickly and some bubble teams may not be keen on trades for picks and/or pure prospects.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Whitney is done... Would rather see Aaron Johnson.

As for Smyth, I think there will be much better options out there, guys like Penner, Ryder, Morrow, Iggy, Prospal, Sullivan or Gagne (we'll have to see what teams drop out of the playoff hunt over the next 6-7 weeks to have a better handle on guys).

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I would take them both if Edmonton would take whoever is the Bruins worst prospect for them.

Whitney as the #8 d-man for the playoffs and Smyth may have more to give if he is motivated by a chance to win the Cup. He seems frustrated in Edmonton, maybe a move to Boston helps him out. If not be can be the 13th-14th forward for the playoffs and they can use a compliance buyout on him in the offseason if he is untradeable.

The only problem I see as far as taking a chance on them for depth is they are only allowed a certain amount of signed players.

They would have to be extremely cheap, they would have to accept whatever the Bruins wanted to give them otherwise guys like Krug, Johnson, Caron and Spooner make more sense. The only thing these guys have on guys like spooner and Krug is NHL experience, but there is something to be said for that in the playoffs

The Bruins would also still be able to make a bigger move if they wanted.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I would love to see Nino Niedereiter on LW. He leads his AHL team in scoring and is unhappy on Long Island.

If only Chia could pull this off!

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
While we could make a big splash it may cost too much so maybe we should go in a different direction. Find another Mark Recchi type and pick up a d-man who seems motivated.

Both Ryan Smyth and Ryan Whitney seem like the type of players who would be a perfect fit here. Smyth might not have the cup rings that Recchi had but we have guys with that experience already. What Smyth would bring is a tireless work effort and desire to win the cup. He would respect more than anyone a crack at winning the stanley cup and no doubt would leave everything on the ice.

Whitney is frustrated in Edmonton at the moment http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415806 and he has been a solid puck-mover in the past. He can't be worse than Kaberle was and playing for his hometown Bruins might get him going. Both players could help the pp as Whitney would add another puck moving defensman to the mix and no one has a better nose for the front of the net than Ryan Smyth. Smyth also played well with Bergeron and Seguin at the Spenglar for what that is worth.

Neither of these guys would cost very much because they are both riding the pine in Edmonton where a youth movement is underway. Whitney is a free agent after this year so his 4 million is of little consequence and Smyth has one more year at 2.250 which could be a little rough. How about Krug and a 3rd for the duo. I think both players would fit in seamlessly.

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Smyth Kelly Peverly
Paille Campbell Thornton
Bourque (Healthy scratch)

Chara Boychuk
Seidenberg Hamilton
Ference McQuaid
Whitney (Someone on D is always banged up so he could rotate in with McQuaid until someone gets hurt).

I like your thought process Spit, and I think Whitney could very well be on their radar. Last year, everybody said Rolston was pure junk. Washed up. Can't skate anymore. Etc and so on with the superlatives. But he came in, adjusted and contributed. Ditto for Recchi when he was brought here (and had been on waivers twice).

If the Bruins go for two pickups (F and D), then one of them will probably have to come from the bargain bin/reclamation project pile. I don't think they have (or would be willing to spend) the assets on two expensive players. There's probably a range of guys they're looking at, from Penner to Iginla and from Whitney to Streit. They could look at what they're willing to give up, spend the lion's share on the most pressing need, and use what's left to go bargain hunting.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
While we could make a big splash it may cost too much so maybe we should go in a different direction. Find another Mark Recchi type and pick up a d-man who seems motivated.

Both Ryan Smyth and Ryan Whitney seem like the type of players who would be a perfect fit here. Smyth might not have the cup rings that Recchi had but we have guys with that experience already. What Smyth would bring is a tireless work effort and desire to win the cup. He would respect more than anyone a crack at winning the stanley cup and no doubt would leave everything on the ice.

Whitney is frustrated in Edmonton at the moment http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415806 and he has been a solid puck-mover in the past. He can't be worse than Kaberle was and playing for his hometown Bruins might get him going. Both players could help the pp as Whitney would add another puck moving defensman to the mix and no one has a better nose for the front of the net than Ryan Smyth. Smyth also played well with Bergeron and Seguin at the Spenglar for what that is worth.

Neither of these guys would cost very much because they are both riding the pine in Edmonton where a youth movement is underway. Whitney is a free agent after this year so his 4 million is of little consequence and Smyth has one more year at 2.250 which could be a little rough. How about Krug and a 3rd for the duo. I think both players would fit in seamlessly.

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Smyth Kelly Peverly
Paille Campbell Thornton
Bourque (Healthy scratch)

Chara Boychuk
Seidenberg Hamilton
Ference McQuaid
Whitney (Someone on D is always banged up so he could rotate in with McQuaid until someone gets hurt).

no need to give up anything of value for either of these guys at the moment. Whitney is a healthy scratch on a team that only have 5 nhl quality dmen and smyth is signed for a second year as you said... he isnt interested in playing hockey outside of the alberta area and could potentially retire if dealt. he basically forced a trade off of LA just to return home to alberta and sacraficed on a three year contract in order to negotiate only with the 2 alberta teams.

i dont mind your thought of bargain hunting... but whitney is too injured right now to be able to play in the NHL and he may never get healthy again. his foot injury prevents him from being able to keep up with the play and as an offensive dman with no jam to his game, this renders him completely useless. hes a huge liability until he regains the full use of his foot and his confidence again.

if these guys were on waivers... and i had tons and tons and tons of cap space... maybe id take a chance... but edmonton is desperate to make the playoffs... desperate for grit and leadership... and these guys are being healthy scratches...

its not a good situation

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I love Ryan Smyth but a] I don't think he has much left, and b] his heart is in EDM.

He would be the ultimate "rental" for an organization that prides itself on a team first mentality. Not a good match.

jmeehan1985

Jan 3, 2012
If Whitney can't even make the Oilers roster what makes you think he will fit on then Bruins.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Hemsky is the logical Oiler to go after if anyone. The guy was lights out playing with Krejci overseas this year. They had by all accounts a tremendous amount of Chemistry. Thow the oilers a pick and some decent prospects for him and put him on Krejci's wing. Move Horton to the Kelly Peverly line and give them the Big Body net precence they need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad