Proposal: How about a couple of Oilers for depth

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
While we could make a big splash it may cost too much so maybe we should go in a different direction. Find another Mark Recchi type and pick up a d-man who seems motivated.

Both Ryan Smyth and Ryan Whitney seem like the type of players who would be a perfect fit here. Smyth might not have the cup rings that Recchi had but we have guys with that experience already. What Smyth would bring is a tireless work effort and desire to win the cup. He would respect more than anyone a crack at winning the stanley cup and no doubt would leave everything on the ice.

Whitney is frustrated in Edmonton at the moment http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415806 and he has been a solid puck-mover in the past. He can't be worse than Kaberle was and playing for his hometown Bruins might get him going. Both players could help the pp as Whitney would add another puck moving defensman to the mix and no one has a better nose for the front of the net than Ryan Smyth. Smyth also played well with Bergeron and Seguin at the Spenglar for what that is worth.

Neither of these guys would cost very much because they are both riding the pine in Edmonton where a youth movement is underway. Whitney is a free agent after this year so his 4 million is of little consequence and Smyth has one more year at 2.250 which could be a little rough. How about Krug and a 3rd for the duo. I think both players would fit in seamlessly.

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Smyth Kelly Peverly
Paille Campbell Thornton
Bourque (Healthy scratch)

Chara Boychuk
Seidenberg Hamilton
Ference McQuaid
Whitney (Someone on D is always banged up so he could rotate in with McQuaid until someone gets hurt).

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
While we could make a big splash it may cost too much so maybe we should go in a different direction. Find another Mark Recchi type and pick up a d-man who seems motivated.

Both Ryan Smyth and Ryan Whitney seem like the type of players who would be a perfect fit here. Smyth might not have the cup rings that Recchi had but we have guys with that experience already. What Smyth would bring is a tireless work effort and desire to win the cup. He would respect more than anyone a crack at winning the stanley cup and no doubt would leave everything on the ice.

Whitney is frustrated in Edmonton at the moment http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415806 and he has been a solid puck-mover in the past. He can't be worse than Kaberle was and playing for his hometown Bruins might get him going. Both players could help the pp as Whitney would add another puck moving defensman to the mix and no one has a better nose for the front of the net than Ryan Smyth. Smyth also played well with Bergeron and Seguin at the Spenglar for what that is worth.

Neither of these guys would cost very much because they are both riding the pine in Edmonton where a youth movement is underway. How about Krug and a 3rd for the duo. I think both players would fit in seamlessly,

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Smyth Kelly Peverly
Paille Campbell Thornton

Chara Boychuk
Seidenberg Hamilton
Ference McQuaid
Whitney (Someone on D is always banged up so he could rotate in with McQuaid until someone gets hurt).

No thanks, don't feel a need to be adding older aging players.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Watch Ryan Whitney play this year and tell me again he would be a perfect fit in Boston. The only thing he has going for him is being from the area. He's exactly the type of defenceman who is a horrible fit under Julien. Soft and a train wreck defensively.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
Smyth being on the third line is almost a down grade from Bourque IMO. Has zero to no speed or hands, is only good infront of the net and we have Lucic and Horton for that.

Whitney is just a solid no from me. The guy is a mess defensively. Was completely embarrassed by Jagr when they lost in OT. Basically just handed Jagr the inside lane too the net.

My take on the proposal: Lets dump our worst players on another team's roster and hope they accept.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
Smyth is a healthy scratch on the Oilers tonight.

Yeah, he's been showing his age this year, and taken some bonehead minors the last few games. Not what you want your supposed veteran leaders to do on a young squad.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Neither of these guys would cost very much because they are both riding the pine in Edmonton where a youth movement is underway. Whitney is a free agent after this year so his 4 million is of little consequence and Smyth has one more year at 2.250 which could be a little rough. How about Krug and a 3rd for the duo. I think both players would fit in seamlessly.

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Smyth Kelly Peverly
Paille Campbell Thornton

Chara Boychuk
Seidenberg Hamilton
Ference McQuaid

Wanna Bet?

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Ryan Whitney would be a good pick-up for Boston. Someone that might help the powerplay. Bring him back to Boston. He is being paid 3.8 million and becoming a UFA. A healthy scratch and this days as an Oiler are likely over. Not getting along with the coach. Perfect time to buy low on a quality defenseman.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I might be willing to take Whitney as a depth defenseman at the deadline, if Edmonton is willing to send him to Boston for a 7th round pick, or really I's rather not give up the pick, and give a body from Providence to open the roster spot. Whitney really isn't worth more than that right now.

Smith would have been more interesting, but it sounds like he is just done.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I suspect you folks really haven't watched Whitney this season. He isn't half the dman he used to be (and that's being nice). His injuries have taken a toll on him, he's toast. I'd rather give Krug a shot.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Smyth is a healthy scratch on the Oilers tonight.

Yeah, he's been showing his age this year, and taken some bonehead minors the last few games. Not what you want your supposed veteran leaders to do on a young squad.

Plus I just couldn't take another tearful " I hate leaving Edmonton " press conference.

smyth_crying_640.jpg

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Random Oiler fan:

Youd only want Smyth if hes on your fourth line and the system is a trap and not based on speed. He looks like he his skates are cement. And hes taking bad penalties

The only positive is that he is still a decently smart player (dont have terrible giveaways) and ok on the forecheck or in his own zone

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Random Oiler fan:

Youd only want Smyth if hes on your fourth line and the system is a trap and not based on speed. He looks like he his skates are cement. And hes taking bad penalties

The only positive is that he is still a decently smart player (dont have terrible giveaways) and ok on the forecheck or in his own zone

What's the deal with Whitney? Why is he in the doghouse?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Whitney is a guy who never lived up to his potential, but he had started to develop into a solid middle pairing guy, and then the injuries took their toll and instead of being a plus skater he once was, he is now a below average skater

Jeff L

May 28, 2012
Massachusetts
I'd take the Smyth from a couple years ago in a heartbeat. Not anymore. Whitney's about to be a free agent this summer, I believe; if the Bruins really want a hometown boy they can probably sign him for cheap. Let him and Torey Krug fight for a spot, assuming Ference is let go.

Hear me out on this one - what about Dustin Penner? He's spending a lot of time in the press box in LA from what I understand. He's a left wing and probably only good enough to play third line minutes these days. Not only that, he's signed to an incredibly cheap deal and if he sucks, we can let him walk in the offseason too. His value is at an all-time low, could probably be had for a low draft pick or a B-level defense prospect. Keep in mind he scored some pretty clutch playoff goals last year, and playing on a more consistent team could light a fire under his ass.

Kaoz*

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Smyth Kelly Peverly
Paille Campbell Thornton

Chara Boychuk
Seidenberg Hamilton
Ference McQuaid

I'd rather the other Whitney honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad