Houser’s 1st win- ECHL call-up, first game in 14 months

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Nice to see him get his first win. I was surprised he wasn't drafted after winning OHL MVP and tieing the single season OHL wins record. Worth a shot in the dark, I figured.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Well this is a feel-good story if I've ever seen one. Good for him. The feeling must be incredible, even if it's short lived. Seems like a pretty decent guy from his interviews.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Just wanted to get this guy a main board thread. He's gotta be the coolest Sabres story line of the year.

Houser is 28yo and in his 9th pro season, having spent most of the last decade toiling away in the ECHL. He was born with bilateral clubfoot, which he's had 16 surgeries on, most before the age of 2 but with some follow-ups in his tween years. You know in little league when they put the kids who are terrible in outfield because they won't be asked to do much there anyway? That's kind of how Houser started as a goalie. He wouldn't be left out of hockey, but he couldn't really skate with his feet as they were, so they put him in net. Despite that rocky start, Houser had a very nice junior career with the London Knights, but it wasn't enough to get him drafted, and he's been bouncing around the minors ever since.

Before yesterday, he hadn't played a game anywhere in over a year, but he's the only goalie the Sabres have under contract who's healthy enough to play. He started Buffalo's last 2 games against the Islanders, and he came away with 4 points and a .940sv%.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
THE ISLANDERS LOST AN ACTUAL NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE GAME TO AN ECHL GOALTENDER​

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Just wanted to get this guy a main board thread. He's gotta be the coolest Sabres story line of the year.

Houser is 28yo and in his 9th pro season, having spent most of the last decade toiling away in the ECHL. He was born with bilateral clubfoot, which he's had 16 surgeries on, most before the age of 2 but with some follow-ups in his tween years. You know in little league when they put the kids who are terrible in outfield because they won't be asked to do much there anyway? That's kind of how Houser started as a goalie. He wouldn't be left out of hockey, but he couldn't really skate with his feet as they were, so they put him in net. Despite that rocky start, Houser had a very nice junior career with the London Knights, but it wasn't enough to get him drafted, and he's been bouncing around the minors ever since.

Before yesterday, he hadn't played a game anywhere in over a year, but he's the only goalie the Sabres have under contract who's healthy enough to play. He started Buffalo's last 2 games against the Islanders, and he came away with 4 points and a .940sv%.

i cant stand buffalo but this might as well be obligatory for this thread…good on the guy

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Isles can use Houser’s 9 iron when their season ends in a couple of weeks.

Congrats to him, and nice job in the shootout.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
The guy hasn’t played an actual game AT ANY LEVEL in 14 months. On top of this being his 1st NHL start at 28 years old. On top of him having 14 surgeries before he was 2 years old.

Pretty cool story.
I don't get how that works? Why does he get the call up? Makes no sense.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I don't get how that works? Why does he get the call up? Makes no sense.

Was signed before the Sabres traded Johansson to the Avs.

The past two games, the Sabres goalie depth has been: Houser, Lekkas (emergency PTO who was on Rochester on a PTO), and goalie coach Mike Bales as the taxi squad goalie.

UPL & Hutton are done for the year. Tokarski’s season is over after he left the team for family reasons. Ullmark is back practicing but it’s unknown if he’ll play any of the two games remaining.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Had it been last year I would've been impressed, but nothing can top that zamboni guy who beat the Leafs (of all teams).

On a more serious note, great story props to him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Because Buffalo wasn’t allowing any crowd in the last two games Houser’s mom couldn’t go see him play in the nhl. But they are allowed in Pittsburgh and he’s playing in front of his whole family. Win or lose that has to be almost as good as getting that first start and win.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Good for him. Even if he never playa again he can say he made it to the NHL and got a couple wins. More than 99% of goalies get to say

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Awesome story, but Jeff Carter put Houser over his knee tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad