Post-Game Talk: House cafeteria Freedom Fries vs La Banquise Poutine: 7:37pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Fair points, although I think we've seen some regression to the mean from some of the Rangers' players that had outstanding years last year and that was to be expected imo.

I do agree that the roster could stand to be improved to fortify us for a playoff run. If I am Leonsis, I am all in for the next few years. Any non-roster asset is available outside of Vrana and Samsanov if it means adding a difference making forward or defenseman to the roster. Picks, highly thought of young prospects , a combination of the two. It's time to go get our Cup.

Just so you know, as a team, the Rangers had up until a couple games ago been both shooting and goaltending at absurdly high percentages.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
There are no bad road wins in the NHL.

The Caps - rusty - skate out of Centre Bell, home of the best team in the league, with two points.

Nicely done, boys.

Why in the world would they be rusty after winning 5 games in a row?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I do agree that the roster could stand to be improved to fortify us for a playoff run. If I am Leonsis, I am all in for the next few years. Any non-roster asset is available outside of Vrana and Samsanov if it means adding a difference making forward or defenseman to the roster. Picks, highly thought of young prospects , a combination of the two. It's time to go get our Cup.
I'd certainly put Samsonov & Vrana on the table but I wonder how much they'll be looking to upgrade certain spots. If they're a top 1-3 team in the Conference--short of injuries, they should be--will they actually look to upgrade at their weaker spots in paper (2LW/3C/1LD) when they seem to trust those particular players (Johansson, Beagle & presumably Orpik) quite a bit? I have my doubts.

The easier way to improve is by internally raising the standard and improving cohesion and fundamentals on a daily basis. They should keep Wilson on the checking line and rotate Bura/Galiev at 4RW until someone produces there. Other than that I don't expect the lineup to change much outside of what health dictates. I'm skeptical they'll do much at the deadline besides adding depth unless injuries dictate otherwise.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
thing is, they have won 18 games, whoever they beat and however they did it, they won 18 games. if we are worried about a game against the rangers in november and are worried that a loss in november means anything then we just are paranoid for no reason imo.

if they had lost to the rangers in march then fine, then panic. at this time last year washington was 10-10-4 and the season is 82 games long. not every game the caps are gonne be amazing, not every game they are gonna look crisp, but if the team has won 18 games obviously they are performing exceptionally

*this is nothing against you, its just a pet peeve that beating teams in regular season mean so much when they play each other in playoffs

This team is doing nothing of the kind. We are getting exceptional goal tending and the team defense has been very good for the most part but the team itself is not performing consistently well. This team is as a whole is playing good enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be playing like we did last night and win than play like that and lose. However I think this can also create bad habits that will cost us when it matters. That is my biggest concern.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This team is doing nothing of the kind. We are getting exceptional goal tending and the team defense has been very good for the most part but the team itself is not performing consistently well. This team is as a whole is playing good enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be playing like we did last night and win than play like that and lose. However I think this can also create bad habits that will cost us when it matters. That is my biggest concern.

It's pretty clear they're playing very well overall. Fans seem to want perfection, but in a long season there are many ups and downs. That said the core of this team has had some unflattering habits since day one. It's on Trotz to make sure those aren't an issue come May. Very few reasons for concerns on Dec 4th.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
No, Dallas has 26 GP and we have 24. It doesn't matter anyway, it's not like we're gunning for the President's trophy. We need to win the East though, it will give us the easiest path in the playoffs.

Ok, they won last night, ESPN hadnt updated it when I checked early this AM. So they are 4pts ahead.

Winning the East wont give us the easiest path, unless you are commenting on Home Ice. We have to get out of the Metro, no matter what happens (so..probably beat the Rags), and then play the Atlantic winner (Habs?).

Perhaps being #1 in East may be nice if we play a WC in first round that isnt one of Pens or Isles. That would be a benefit.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I don't want to be a downer or hater, but the last game was supposed to be a measuring stick for the Caps. And after the last night performance, we still have no idea where we stand. Are we that bad against good teams or we were just rusty and if yes, so where we are then?

Plus even though Montreal lost, they made a loud statement. We failed to do so. We failed to show that we are the best in the East and that's why the majority of the fans are upset about :)

They won. Thats a statement.

Caps scored an early goal, and that changes the flow of games. We saw them go into a little bit of a defensive shell, and Montreal immediately pressed to tie it up. That went on for the rest of the 1st, and a good portion of the 2nd.

Each game has its own ebb and flow based on how it unfolds. Had Montreal scored first, it would have been a different game. To wring your hands over "how the beat the top team in the East while on the road" is nonsensical.

While watching it, I never felt like the Caps were in jeopardy of losing, once they took the lead. It felt like the Habs were playing "catch up" hockey, and every time that they caught up, the Caps had the answer to get the lead back.

We all see what we want to see, however (as Tex likes to say)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Fair points, although I think we've seen some regression to the mean from some of the Rangers' players that had outstanding years last year and that was to be expected imo.

Yes, it is time. I dont care if Vrana or Samsanov are available too. We are set at G, D, and W for the forseeable future. Maybe C too, assuming Kuz and Backs dont slow down.

Everyone is afraid Vrana will turn into the next Forsberg. I hope he does. But that shouldnt preclude us from dealing him, for the right addition. As I have always said, it was the return that sucked on Forsberg. Same would be true for any prospect we currently have. If we need to send Laich and Vrana to St Louis for David Backes and something, we do it (least, thats what I would do)

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
It's pretty clear they're playing very well overall. Fans seem to want perfection, but in a long season there are many ups and downs. That said the core of this team has had some unflattering habits since day one. It's on Trotz to make sure those aren't an issue come May. Very few reasons for concerns on Dec 4th.

Having your top players with unflattering habits is cause for concern regardless of what time of year it is unless it's training camp. With it now being into December means there is still plenty of time to get it fixed but building better habits now is preferable.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ok, they won last night, ESPN hadnt updated it when I checked early this AM. So they are 4pts ahead.

Winning the East wont give us the easiest path, unless you are commenting on Home Ice. We have to get out of the Metro, no matter what happens (so..probably beat the Rags), and then play the Atlantic winner (Habs?).

Perhaps being #1 in East may be nice if we play a WC in first round that isnt one of Pens or Isles. That would be a benefit.

Statistically, the higher seeds have an easier path than the WC teams. Let's say we win the East. We start off in the first round against the lowest team, which allows us to face the Rags in the 2nd round and most likely the Habs in the 3rd round when they are already worn down from previous series. You don't want to face one of those two teams in the 1st round.

The President's trophy winner wins the Cup 30% of the time, think about that.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Statistically, the higher seeds have an easier path than the WC teams. Let's say we win the East. We start off in the first round against the lowest team, which allows us to face the Rags in the 2nd round and most likely the Habs in the 3rd round when they are already worn down from previous series. You don't want to face one of those two teams in the 1st round.

The President's trophy winner wins the Cup 30% of the time, think about that.

There is zero chance we play the Habs in round 1, unless we are a wild card team (or they are). You do realize that the divisions play each other the first 2 rounds.

We can play the Rags in round 1 only if Pitt or NYI finish 1st in the Metro, and NYR and Wash finish 2 and 3 (or vice versa). Or if we finish 1st, and the Rags finish 4th.

I dont think you recognize that its not just seeded 1-8 anymore.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I don't really care if Holtby stole the game, how many times did Price and Lundqvist steal games against us? We got the 2 points, next.

Exactly, the goalies are part of the team, so if a goalie wins it, well that team was better as a whole. And in the end it doesn't matter because the points are awarded by looking at the scoreboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad