Trade: [HOU/SEA] Jadeveon Clowney for 2020 3rd round pick, Barkevious Mingo, and Jacob Martin

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can't blame Houston for not wanting to pay the price for Clowney. Someone is going to pay him $20m+ av on a 5-6 year deal and there's some valid skepticism he isn't in that tier of players.
That’s a legit reason for not giving him a long term deal. But if they are going to do that, this is the result when you tag the guy.

You end up with pennies on the dollar in the deal And you have unused cap space that you budgeted for the guy.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Houston got next to nothing back in return for Clowney. All while giving up two firsts and a second for Tunsil and a healthier version of Will Fuller in Stills.

Meh.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Houston got next to nothing back in return for Clowney. All while giving up two firsts and a second for Tunsil and a healthier version of Will Fuller in Stills.

Meh.
Needed to make this call on JD before the draft. If you’re not extending him for term move him like Seattle did with Frank Clark.

Players don’t want to play for teams that won’t commit to them. They all hate the franchise tag. Expect more cases like this until the next cba regarding tags.

QB, pass rusher, LT are your key positions. What Houston gave up was more than what Chicago gave up to get Mack. But, got to protect the franchise.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Needed to make this call on JD before the draft. If you’re not extending him for term move him like Seattle did with Frank Clark.

Players don’t want to play for teams that won’t commit to them. They all hate the franchise tag. Expect more cases like this until the next cba regarding tags.

QB, pass rusher, LT are your key positions. What Houston gave up was more than what Chicago gave up to get Mack. But, got to protect the franchise.

Well Chicago also had to commit a ton of cap space/money to Mack as well, so that is a factor in comparing the two trades.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well Chicago also had to commit a ton of cap space/money to Mack as well, so that is a factor in comparing the two trades.
Tunsil is in year 4 of his deal so he’ll play out this season. But like Mack and Donald last season I’m betting he demands a new deal in the off season and not just play on his 5th year team option. So, Houston gets a cheap year but they’ll be paying him in short order.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Tunsil is in year 4 of his deal so he’ll play out this season. But like Mack and Donald last season I’m betting he demands a new deal in the off season and not just play on his 5th year team option. So, Houston gets a cheap year but they’ll be paying him in short order.

I’m sure he’ll demand a new deal, his option is still $10m which is quite good as OL go. What’s Tunsil’s market value? Is he in the $13-16m range like the top dozen OL?

Honestly haven’t followed him closely since being drafted by Miami.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I’m sure he’ll demand a new deal, his option is still $10m which is quite good as OL go. What’s Tunsil’s market value? Is he in the $13-16m range like the top dozen OL?

Honestly haven’t followed him closely since being drafted by Miami.
Yes. They’ll pay him next spring.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

Yeeouch. And SEA sent a 4M player to Houston in the deal, making this a very reasonably priced rental if nothing else.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Yeeouch. And SEA sent a 4M player to Houston in the deal, making this a very reasonably priced rental if nothing else.

Oh right. He had to sign the tender first before they could move him. Just shows how poorly they mismanaged the situation to blow $7 mill cap space.

You walk away from him in the summer and you can use that cap on someone else.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I haven't followed Clowney since his South Carolina days but I always thought he got way too much hype after that hit on the Michigan player. Probably the most hyped non-QB I've ever seen coming out of high school. ESPN gave him a LeBron "The Decision" type special for his college announcement.

I'll take you guys word for it if you say Houston got robbed here. The little I've watched the Texans he either was sitting out or was invisible on the field.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad