Trade: [HOU/SEA] Jadeveon Clowney for 2020 3rd round pick, Barkevious Mingo, and Jacob Martin

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Clowney had all the leverage.

Yep. If a left tackle was priority #1 for Houston, Seattle is the last team they would trade with since Duane Brown came from the Texans as well.

I hope an extension with term is possible but I like this a lot because Clowney is still pretty young, and we didn't give up much. Jacob Martin is a decent rotational guy but this is so worth it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hell of a trade for the Seahawks that's well worth it even if he walks next year. It all looks even better when you add the Clark trade into the mix.

Whoever is running the Texans now (O'Brien?) screwed this all up in a big way. Lost all leverage and gave a very good player away.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What pass rush outside of Watt do Texans have now?

Mercilus hasn't been same player he was pre-injury and nothing on there roster jumps out at me as impact player on D outside of Watt

If Watt gets injured they are completely screwed on defense

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I guess that offer they made Miami really was them being desperate.

Traded one of the best run stoppers in the league, you got no LT for him, and a bunch of spare parts. Should also be noted the Hawks get that 3rd back if Clowney leaves.

Brutal trade.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Someone explain to me how with a franchise QB on a rookie deal, the Texans couldn't keep Brown or Clowney.
Didn’t want to. Some teams hate to redo a contract because it sets a precedent for other players.
For Clowney, they picked up the 5th year option and now they tag him for another season. So, he doesn’t want to be part of an organization that does not want him there for the long term. 5 years is plenty of time to decide if you value the player or not.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Any talk of the Texans getting someone like Tunsil was always ridiculous given the contract situation and leverage that Clowney have.

I have a tough time considering this a good haul for Houston but in a vaccuum it's not horribly abnormal for someone on the last year of their contract to be dealt for this sort of thing.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So to break it down;

A pro bowl DL/Linebacker for;

A 3rd round pick the team trading for him gets back if he doesn't re-sign
A former 1st round pick of a linebacker who's done nothing and was gonna get cut at the roster deadline anyway
Some other back up linebacker who probably turns into nothing.

O'Brien should be fired for that. Absolutely horrible.

Reactions: Franson

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So to break it down;

A pro bowl DL/Linebacker for;

A 3rd round pick the team trading for him gets back if he doesn't re-sign
A former 1st round pick of a linebacker who's done nothing and was gonna get cut at the roster deadline anyway
Some other back up linebacker who probably turns into nothing.

O'Brien should be fired for that. Absolutely horrible.
JD was not under contract. He can’t be dealt until he signed the franchise tender. Houston had zero leverage to send him wherever they wanted to. He could simply not sign the tender and wait it out until week 8/9 the latest he can sign to have the year count towards free agency.

Their relationship ended much like Bell’s did with Pitt did. After 5 seasons, if you’re not prepared to extend the guy long term you might as well walk away.

Better to use that designated cap space that you had ear marked for JD’s franchise tender in free agency.

See the difference in return between JD and Clark who Seattle traded for a 1st after tagging him, allowing him to sign long term with KC.

Guys simply are no longer willing to put their bodies on the line for a team that isn’t investing in them long term.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I can't blame Houston for not wanting to pay the price for Clowney. Someone is going to pay him $20m+ av on a 5-6 year deal and there's some valid skepticism he isn't in that tier of players.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Texans' FO (or whatever the hell it is) needs to go. All of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->