hototogisu's Top 60 2011 Mock Draft: Who Your Team is Drafting and Why

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
ROUND ONE:

1. Edmonton Oilers - C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

EDM needs help on the blueline but won't pass up the chance to add a bonafide franchise center to ride shotgun with Hall for the next decade or so.

2. Colorado Avalanche - D Adam Larsson

COL is thrilled to add a franchise D to a thinning blueline, and could have a scary 1-2 if Erik Johnson hits his max potential.

3. Florida Panthers - C Jonathan Huberdeau

Huberdeau is a clutch performer who puts up big numbers and can finally give a weak forward corps some punch.

4. New Jersey Devils - LW Gabriel Landeskog

Landeskog hits all the right notes for the Devils - great two-way player, offensive threat, leadership qualities and can play a hard-nosed game.

5. New York Islanders - C Sean Couturier

Like the Oilers, the Isles could stand to add defense but Couturier has too much upside to ignore, and provides a major boost to a promising forward group.

6. Ottawa Senators - C Mika Zibanejad

With a blueline filled with promising young guns, the Sens finally address their needs up front with a player who could step in immediately.

7. Winnipeg Jets - D Dougie Hamilton

The Jets need help everywhere but with most of the top offensive guns off the board, they turn to Hamilton to bolster a young blueline.

8. Columbus Blue Jackets - D Nathan Beaulieu

After going with a centre last year, the Jackets add help on the blueline with a guy who can do a bit of everything.

9. Boston Bruins (from TOR) - D Ryan Murphy

Adding a slick puck-moving defenseman like Murphy adds a dimension to the B's prospect pool that has been missing for a long time.

10. Minnesota Wild - D Duncan Siemens

After going with a forward last year, the Wild look to replace departed 2009 first rounder Nick Leddy with Siemens, another D-man who can do a bit of everything.

11. Colorado Avalanche (from STL) - C Ryan Strome

The Avs count their lucky stars again as one of the most gifted offensive forwards in the draft falls in their lap, making for a great first round with Larsson.

12. Carolina Hurricanes - C Mark McNeill

Debate rages about whether the Canes will finally go for a defenseman or not, but with the marquee blueliners gone, they jump at McNeill.

13. Calgary Flames - D Jamieson Oleksiak

In one swoop the Flames quickly replace the departure of top prospect Tim Erixon with the monstrous Oleksiak.

14. Dallas Stars - C Mark Scheifele

The Stars will be happy to add a big, rugged offensive player like Scheifele, in the lineage of captain Brendan Morrow.

15. New York Rangers - RW Joel Armia

The Rangers' D is stocked with young prospects so adding a pure goalscorer like Armia is a no brainer.

16. Buffalo Sabres - LW Sven Bartschi

Bartschi is a top-six offensive winger which is exactly what the Sabres' prospect pool is lacking.

17. Montreal Canadiens - C J.T. Miller

Miller is a good skater, a two-way player, plays a hard-nosed game, and is a smart kid - and an American. Right up the Habs' alley.

18. Chicago Blackhawks - C Rocco Grimaldi

Grimaldi may be tiny but he's a scoring machine and the Hawks could use a player like him in a weak forward group.

19. Edmonton Oilers (from LA) - D Oscar Klefbom

After grabbing RNH, the Oilers grab a defenseman with enormous upside in Klefbom.

20. Phoenix Coyotes - RW Nicklas Jensen

With two D in the first rounds of '09 and '10, the Coyotes grab a big forward with nice offensive upside.

21. Ottawa Senators (from NSH) - C Zack Phillips

The Sens continue to bolster their offense with a player who, while not without question marks, could be a huge steal this late in the first round.

22. Anaheim Ducks - RW Tyler Biggs

A big, nasty forward, there are questions about his offensive upside but his hard-nosed style meshes well with the Ducks' aesthetic.

23. Pittsburgh Penguins - LW Matt Puempel

Puempel's game is uneven but he knows how to score, and the Penguins, forever in search of scoring wingers, would do well to grab him.

24. Detroit Red Wings - D Jonas Brodin

With Detroit's defensive depth thinning at a rapid rate, it almost makes too much sense of them to grab the highly skilled Swedish blueliner.

25. Toronto Maple Leafs (from PHI) - LW Brandon Saad

Saad is a big body who doesn't always play a power forward game, but he has a moldable frame and can put the puck in the net.

26. Washington Capitals - D Joe Morrow

The Caps are strong in all areas but could use some extra D depth and Morrow is a tantalizing grab at 26.

27. Tampa Bay Lightning - C Boone Jenner

Jenner is one of the top character players in the draft and seems to fit well with Yzerman's team concept.

28. San Jose Sharks - D Connor Murphy

Murphy was plagued by injuries but has loads of talent, and the Sharks will be keen to bolster their defense depth with his addition.

29. Toronto Maple Leafs (from BOS) - D Scott Mayfield

There's no chance Burke waits to the second round to grab Mayfield - a big, mean defenseman with a bit of offensive upside.

30. Vancouver Canucks - RW Dmitri Jaskin

Jaskin has serious offensive talent and the Canucks won't let him slip any further than 30th.

ROUND TWO:

31. Edmonton Oilers - D David Musil

Musil is a big, steady defenseman with NHL bloodlines that scouts go crazy for. He's slipped, but won't last long in the second round.

32. St. Louis Blues (from COL) - D Adam Clendening

Clendening is a solid puck-mover with some offensive upside and, having traded top prospect David Runblad last year to get Vladimir Tarasenko, the Blues will go back to bolstering their D depth.

33. Florida Panthers - C Vladislav Namestnikov

The Panthers added a wealth of offensive prospects in the first two rounds last year and will continue to do so with Huberdeau and Namestnikov this year, giving them a major upgrade up front.

34. New York Islanders - G John Gibson

The Islanders have a wealth of middling goaltending prospects but the addition of Gibson gives them a legitimate stud for the future.

35. Ottawa Senators - RW Tomas Jurco

The re-tooling of the Sens' forward corps continues with the addition of Jurco, who has questions about his consistency but can flat-out take over a game.

36. Chicago Blackhaws (from WPG) - RW Ty Rattie

Rattie is an extremely skilled top-six player who immediately boosts the Hawks' forward prospect group.

37. Columbus Blue Jackets - C Daniel Catenacci

Catenacci is small but with undeniable skill and can slide into a third-line role if needed.

38. Nashville Predators (from NJ) - C Shane Prince

Prince could be a sleeper at this point as he has a lot of offensive skill, both as a playmaker and a scorer, which the Preds desperately need.

39. Toronto Maple Leafs - LW Lucas Lessio

Lessio is a big goalscoring winger with a chip on his shoulder, and doesn't shy away from the rough stuff. An easy choice for Burke at 39.

40. Boston Bruins (from MIN) - RW Brett Ritchie

Ritchie has a big frame but doesn't always play a physical game, but the B's can worry about that after - too much to like to pass on here.

41. St. Louis Blues - C Viktor Rask

If the Blues can ever get Rask's head on straight, they will have gotten a steal in the second round, because when he's on his game he's an easy first round pick.

42. Carolina Hurricanes - D Stuart Percy

Buoyed by a strong Memorial Cup performance, the Canes won't hesitate to add Percy, a dependable player who takes care of his own zone first.

43. Chicago Blackhawks (from CAL, TOR) - D Ryan Sproul

Sproul is a big guy who can skate and shoot the puck, despite being raw in his own zone. With two forwards with their first two picks, Sproul is a good value pick on D at 43.

44. Dallas Stars - LW Stefan Noesen

Noesen is a grinding player with a bit of an offensive touch, and as luck would have it, hails from Texas. A match made in heaven if there ever was one.

45. Calgary Flames (from NYR) - RW Rickard Rakell

Rakell is a gritty character type of player who would fit well with the Flames' hardnosed if unspectacular style.

46. St. Louis Blues (from BUF) - C Matthew Nieto

Nietro is an all-offense type and could be a nice sleeper pick for the Blues at this point.

47. Florida Panthers (from MTL) - D Robbie Russo

Russo isn't flashy but plays a smart, simple two-way game.

48. Chicago Blackhawks - LW Phillip Danault

Danault is a heady third-line type who would compliment the Hawks' two other more offense-oriented selections in this draft well.

49. Los Angeles Kings - C Alexander Khokhlachev

One of the few organizations still taking chances on Russians this early, the Kings will be drooling over the thought of pairing Khokhlachev up with 2010 draft pick Maxim Kitsyn.

50. New York Islanders (from MTL) - D Joel Edmundson

After taking a forward and a goalie, the Isles go with Edmundson, a big but slight defenseman who will drop the gloves and stick up for his teammates.

51. Phoenix Coyotes - C Nick Shore

Shore is a player who projects as a third liner that can do spot duty on a second line, and decent value at the 51st pick.

52. Nashville Predators - RW Seth Ambroz

Ambroz has all kinds of questions about him but if he can fulfill his exceptional potential, he'd add an important dimension to the Predators' top six.

53. Anaheim Ducks - G Samu Perhonen

Perhonen had a year that was all over the map but the Ducks can't pass on his upside, especially with Jonas Hiller's future in question and no immediate upgrade on the way.

54. Pittsburgh Penguins - C Vincent Trocheck

Trocheck is a gritty bottom-six character forward who has a nose for the net and some offensive upside.

55. Detroit Red Wings - LW Nikita Kucherov

Kucherov is the highest ranking Russian playing in Russia, but his jaw-dropping performance at the U18's (21 points in 7 games) will have him going off the board sooner than normal.

56. Phoenix Coyotes (from PHI) - D Rasmus Bengtsson

Bengtsson is a solid puckmover with nice size who needs work in his own zone, but has appealing upside.

57. Calgary Flames (from WSH, NYR) - C Joseph Labate

Labate is a big forward who ripped it up in high school this year and might make a good value pick at this point.

58. Tampa Bay Lightning - D Xavier Ouellet

Ouellet is a smart, positionally sound defenseman who turned some heads with his offensive production this year.

59. Boston Bruins - C Michael St. Croix

St. Croix is a gritty, heart-and-soul type who leaves it all on the ice and can chip in with some offense too.

60. Vancouver Canucks - D Mike McKee

McKee is huge, has a hard shot, and has great mobility - in short, the type of defensemen GMs love.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
ROUND ONE:

34. New York Islanders - G John Gibson

The Islanders have a wealth of middling goaltending prospects but the addition of Gibson gives them a legitimate stud for the future.

The Islanders already have 3 budding goaltender prospect that look like legitimate stud for the future.

Poulin - whom didnt look out of place this season
Nilsson - whom was one of the top goaltenders in the SEL this past season
Koskinen - whom is talenentated but yet to adjust to the NA style

If the Islanders go for goaltending they will take a shot late in the draft. I like the the other picks you made for the Islanders.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Everybody seems to forget that Ottawa owns the 48th pick and Bostons second rounder too

Wow didn't even notice. I don't remember where I grabbed the draft order from (Wikipedia?) but I guess it's not quite up to date. Guess I'll have to make some revisions.

KrisBeKreame said:
The Islanders already have 3 budding goaltender prospect that look like legitimate stud for the future.

Poulin - whom didnt look out of place this season
Nilsson - whom was one of the top goaltenders in the SEL this past season
Koskinen - whom is talenentated but yet to adjust to the NA style

If the Islanders go for goaltending they will take a shot late in the draft. I like the the other picks you made for the Islanders.

I don't know, personally I remain unconvinced on those three. But I guess it does make sense for them to hope one of those pans out and/or grab a goalie in the later rounds. But I had them taking Jack Campbell last year so clearly I'm set on the idea of them snagging a clear-cut top goalie prospect, right or wrong :laugh:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Hawks won't draft Grimaldi at #18

they would go after Philips or Jensen or Jurco (if all happens like you have it)

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
32. St. Louis Blues (from COL) - D Adam Clendening

Clendening is a solid puck-mover with some offensive upside and, having traded top prospect David Runblad last year to get Vladimir Tarasenko, the Blues will go back to bolstering their D depth.

41. St. Louis Blues - C Viktor Rask

If the Blues can ever get Rask's head on straight, they will have gotten a steal in the second round, because when he's on his game he's an easy first round pick.

46. St. Louis Blues (from BUF) - C Matthew Nieto

Nietro is an all-offense type and could be a nice sleeper pick for the Blues at this point.

Those are not bad picks at all for the Blues, and the reasoning behind them is sound (although I see the acquisition of Kevin Shattenkirk in the Johnson trade as nullifying the need to draft Clendenning).

Based on where you have other guys going, however, here's who I'd pick for the Blues, and why:

32. John Gibson. The Blues have three legitimate G prospects left in the system (Bishop, Allen, Karpowich), and Bishop may well earn the backup job behind Halak this year if the Blues continue to be frustrated in their efforts to entice Konstantin Barulin across the pond. The Blues need to rebuild their goaltending prospect stable, and Gibson is the best goalie available in this draft.

41. Stuart Percy. As you note, the Blues will want to start restocking their prospect pool on defense as well, and Percy turned a lot of heads with his play in the OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup. Other than Brett Ponich, who was an out-of-the-box pick in the second round, it has been a long time since the Blues had a premium defense prospect playing in major junior (not counting Pietrangelo, because he was more or less a Blue from Day One).

46. Alexander Khokhlachev. If he falls this far, I think the Blues will almost certainly grab him here. Khokhlachev is highly skilled, and would be a great center for Vladimir Tarasenko when T-90 comes over next year. The Blues are quietly getting a stable of Russians together (Tarasenko, the re-signed Nikita Nikitin, possibly Barulin) and Khokhlachev -- who has already made his adjustment to North America -- would fit nicely with that group.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not disagreeing with the Percy pick at all. But I will say it wouldn't be unexpected for the Canes to take a goalie in the 2nd round, probably Perhonen or either of the Gibsons. They're overdue to take a goalie early and while they have 4 quality young goalies in Ward, Peters, Murphy, and Andersen, they have nothing beyond that. A goalie given 2-3 more seasons in juniors/europe before making the jump would probably be a good target for them.

The Hulk

Dec 22, 2010
I can't see Tampa drafting a centre in the first round. They have Stamkos and Lecavalier and Wright who will likely be the third line centerman. I defence would be more logical for them to take or even a winger

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'd be a little surprised if Strome made it to Colorado at 11. I'd think a few teams before then would definitely like to pick him. But if so lucky break for them to get that kind of guy.

Some solid picks for the Leafs. Though not too sure if it will go that way. Seems like they are pretty interested in Ty Rattie (having him in town) so wouldn't be surprised if they used one of those firsts for him. Also seem to like Percy as well. But of course just because they like certain guys doesn't mean if ones they have ranked higher become available that they won't take them.

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
Can't see Khokhlachev falling to Kings, he could be a 1st-rounder or someone with multiple picks on 2nd will take him before that. Otherwise nice draft :)

GroceryStick

FURDA
Jun 8, 2011
North Bay, ON
As a Senators fan I would be thrilled with this draft.

I wanted Coutourier but if he doesn't fall to us Zibanejad would be an awesome consolation prize.

Zach Phillips seems solid but he might go higher.

If Tomas Jurco could fall back that far I would love Ottawa to pick him up.
I know he is inconsistent but sometimes he is magical. Fans would love him and his highlight reels.

Make it happen BM.

Robin Lehner*

good from ottawa's view but no way we pick 2 centers in the first round

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I have liked the way Garth Snow has drafted for the Islanders but there is absolutely no way we take another goaltender that high in the draft.
Poulin
Nilsson (who is the most legit G spec the Islanders have)
Koskinen

Although not deep, the cupboard is not by any means bare either. If the Islanders stay on course and continue to utilize high picks properly we could see a competitive team. Believe me I love Gibson, but I do not think Gibson is entirely better than Nilsson.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Just to comment on the multiple "Team X wouldn't take a centre" posts - centre is probably the position I would worry about the least when I'm drafting. How many players get drafted as centres but never play a shift as one in the NHL? A boatload. And besides, it's much easier to convert a centre to the wing than vice versa.

So I could understand having too much goaltending or defense depth but not centre...I just don't think it's that big an issue.

Appreciate all the comments so far though :)

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I think you did a nice job. Don't see Gibson coming our way, I think Snow may move up for Morrow or Mayfield, but should go late 1st early 2nd. Is Biggs the prototypical Duck?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00