hototogisu's Top 60 2011 Mock Draft: Who Your Team is Drafting and Why

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site
On the Ducks' picking Biggs, I don't really see that happening. I think the Ducks have strayed away from being the big, physically, bully that was the 07 team to just a team on the rebuild. Also, they have a decent group of wingers already in their pool(Etem, Smith-Pelly, Palmieri, and Deschamps) so getting another winger now would not make any logical sense. What they really need are either big, stay-at-home defensemen since they already have a plethora of offensive guys(Fowler, Sbisa, Schultz, and Vatanen), another centerman if Holland doesn't pan out or, most importantly, a goalie. I can see the Ducks either trade down to get Boone Jenner and then use that 2nd round pick to after one of the Gibsons, whoever's still available at that point.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
On the Ducks' picking Biggs, I don't really see that happening. I think the Ducks have strayed away from being the big, physically, bully that was the 07 team to just a team on the rebuild. Also, they have a decent group of wingers already in their pool(Etem, Smith-Pelly, Palmieri, and Deschamps) so getting another winger now would not make any logical sense. What they really need are either big, stay-at-home defensemen since they already have a plethora of offensive guys(Fowler, Sbisa, Schultz, and Vatanen), another centerman if Holland doesn't pan out or, most importantly, a goalie. I can see the Ducks either trade down to get Boone Jenner and then use that 2nd round pick to after one of the Gibsons, whoever's still available at that point.

Good point, the Ducks have picked a lot of forwards in the first or second round the last two years. They're picking at kind of a funky spot where many of the good D-men are gone, but it's too soon to start reaching for some of the other guys...so trading down could definitely be in the cards.

Robin Lehner*

I would rather Ottawa take Puempel than Phillips, otherwise good job.

Anchor Town*

Wings get Jonas Brodin in the 1st and Nikita Kucherov in the 2nd? Sounds perfect to me

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
strome will not be dropping that low that is absurd

If I had put McIlrath in my top ten last year I would have been bashed to hell and back so I always have a hard time understanding comments like that. There are no guarantees on draft day, no matter how many times you see a player ranked in a certain spot in all the pre-draft lists.

And I'm also not personally enamored with Strome as much as some here seem to be, so there's that.

canada eh

Jan 16, 2009
If I had put McIlrath in my top ten last year I would have been bashed to hell and back so I always have a hard time understanding comments like that. There are no guarantees on draft day, no matter how many times you see a player ranked in a certain spot in all the pre-draft lists.

And I'm also not personally enamored with Strome as much as some here seem to be, so there's that.

youre very right you would have, just as the rangers were for being moronic and drafting for a want over bpa, which meant they lost out on fowler gormley and many other better prospects. looks as dumb today as it did a year ago. but to the point, strome has too much talent to be falling past 8 i believe

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
youre very right you would have, just as the rangers were for being moronic and drafting for a want over bpa, which meant they lost out on fowler gormley and many other better prospects. looks as dumb today as it did a year ago. but to the point, strome has too much talent to be falling past 8 i believe

I think you're missing the point. My goal here isn't to provide you with the top 60 players from the draft, it's to give my take on how I think the draft will play out. If I had posted my mock with McIlrath at 10 or Fowler at 12 last year I would have been a frakking genius, not a moron, because nobody on planet earth predicted that.

Every year there's someone who has "too much talent to fall" (according to the experts) and every year someone does, so I really don't see the point in making any guarantees about any ranking at this point.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
7. Winnipeg Jets - D Dougie Hamilton

The Jets need help everywhere but with most of the top offensive guns off the board, they turn to Hamilton to bolster a young blueline.

11. Colorado Avalanche (from STL) - C Ryan Strome

The Avs count their lucky stars again as one of the most gifted offensive forwards in the draft falls in their lap, making for a great first round with Larsson.

Bolded: The Jets start with a solid defense with great offensive guys like Byfuglien, Enstrom, and Bogosian and some good shut down guys in Stuart and Oduya. Defense really isn't a cause for concern.

Bolded: Best offensive players off the board? Strome could be one of the best natural scorers in this years draft. His skillset seems to be able to translate both well at center and on the wing. He may need another year of development but he could be one of the best players in the 5-10 range of this draft.

Otherwise a well thought out and very well done mock draft. Keep up the good work.

:cheers:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad