Red Sox/MLB Hot Stove Part III: PLAY BALL - Opening Day is April 7th at Yankee Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Somebody at NBC Boston green-lighted this

In 2011, the Red Sox looked poised to win their third World Series in eight seasons. However, an epic collapse resulted in Boston missing the playoffs. Shortly after the season, it was revealed that pitchers were drinking beer and eating fried chicken in the clubhouse during games in September while the team was falling apart on the field. The "chicken and beer" scandal led to the departure of Manager Terry Francona and General Manager Theo Epstein – two men responsible for leading Boston to World Series championships in 2004 and 2007.

Enter Bobby Valentine. He was chosen as Boston’s manager in 2012 despite being out of MLB since 2002. It was a wildly unpopular move among the players, and the 2012 season was a disaster. Boston had their worst record in 47 years, but that doesn’t really tell the full story. Valentine was brought in to clean up the mess from the previous year, but instead butted heads with players and created more conflict than resolution.

Ten years after his memorable year as Red Sox manager, Bobby Valentine shares the stories, scandals and struggles from that season. From confrontations with players to poor communication with his coaching staff, Valentine takes you behind the scenes with what really happened in 2012. Players from the team and media who covered that season offer up their perspective as well. Come ride the rollercoaster known as the Bobby Valentine Experience!

Ways to watch: You can watch the full series on your Roku, Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV device: add NBC10 Boston your collection, open the channel and select "The Bobby V Experience.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Watching MLB Tonight at 6 and Billy Ripken scouted Tristan Casas and says he’s Freddie Freeman 2.0 right down to the attitude

Carlos Peña sitting next to him has studied his at bats and watched him and says that’s what he sees

Attachments

• 87622A88-8DCD-4064-843B-077298C9CFF6.jpeg
    87622A88-8DCD-4064-843B-077298C9CFF6.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 5

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

4 teams so far - draft is in 48 hours

Come and join everyone! It'll be fun!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’d bash the Rays for that return but knowing them Paredes will develop into an elite utility guy and they’ll draft an ace with the pick

I do think their low pressure environment is a big factor in their great player development track record fwiw

Reactions: N o o d l e s

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I’d bash the Rays for that return but knowing them Paredes will develop into an elite utility guy and they’ll draft an ace with the pick

I do think their low pressure environment is a big factor in their great player development track record fwiw
Wander Franco is some hitter I know that.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

I’m just surprised they couldn’t get a better return

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So Pujols just divorced his wife of 22 years while she's recovering from surgery to remove a brain tumor.

That seems really out of character.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Rays just traded Meadows for Isaac Paredes and a pick. Seems bad. Paredes is meh imo
I must be missing something this seems like a horrible move - you can’t argue with the Rays record of almost WS

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
they definitely lose a big bat, maybe the rays owner is going full Jeffery Loria
Ok all makes sense now

Josh Lowe is legit prospect with 20/20 skills at plate and on bases and has a good enough arm to play RF and cover center. He was drafted 16th overall in 2016 and was 2021 Rays’ minor league player of the year.

He’s also cheap.

Meadows just hit arbitration and next year would likely jump over $10 M.

His metrics show his skills are left field and not really a good defender.

Also he crushes righties to the tune of a 300 OPS higher then when facing lefties / there are a lot more righties but you can nullify him especially late in the game.

This is so Rays

As for Parades

He’s an on base machine who is reliable to play the infield even if he has the same build as Ray Bourque

He may not be Greek but he’s from the Greek God of Walks and has certainly caught my attention

So we got two new Rays about to show up that will get people to think…where the crap did these guys come from

Oh and they got a pretty high pick in 22 draft who likely will end up throwing 99 with a swing and miss slider

@LouJersey for you lol

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Ok all makes sense now

Josh Lowe is legit prospect with 20/20 skills at plate and on bases and has a good enough arm to play RF and cover center. He was drafted 16th overall in 2016 and was 2021 Rays’ minor league player of the year.

He’s also cheap.

Meadows just hit arbitration and next year would likely jump over $10 M.

His metrics show his skills are left field and not really a good defender.

Also he crushes righties to the tune of a 300 OPS higher then when facing lefties / there are a lot more righties but you can nullify him especially late in the game.

This is so Rays

As for Parades

He’s an on base machine who is reliable to play the infield even if he has the same build as Ray Bourque

He may not be Greek but he’s from the Greek God of Walks and has certainly caught my attention

So we got two new Rays about to show up that will get people to think…where the crap did these guys come from

Oh and they got a pretty high pick in 22 draft who likely will end up throwing 99 with a swing and miss slider

@LouJersey for you lol
Excellent points, as always. Simply put, the Rays continue to follow and improve Billy Beane's philosophy of operating a small market team. They are in the business of buying wins. Meadows' costs are increasing, thus the cost per win is increasing. Paredes doesn't have Meadows' pedigree of being a top prospect. The Rays weren't going to reap that return for him. They acquired a cost-controlled player because ... snaps fingers and points at Peter Brand ... he gets on base. Is it a gamble? Absolutely, Paredes has played 57 games over two seasons. But, we also know their reputation for finding diamonds in the rough. As much as Beane and DePodesta get credit for creating Moneyball, the Rays have perfected it and have two more pennants than Beane, who has yet to win one.

Reactions: McGarnagle

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If Paredes hits the weight room he could be an issue, redsoxstats posted his spray chart and he really just doesn’t have any strength. Lotta weak contact

He will now hit .290/.400/.410 next year playing a super utility role for the rays

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
If Paredes hits the weight room he could be an issue, redsoxstats posted his spray chart and he really just doesn’t have any strength. Lotta weak contact

He will now hit .290/.400/.410 next year playing a super utility role for the rays
He's listed as 5'11", 213 lbs. One would think that he can run into more than 12-13 homers that he's been putting up rather consistently in the minors. He's only a couple of inches shorter and 12 pounds heavier than Brian Daubach. Then again, the homers typically come as the hitter matures. He slugged .451 in 72 games at AAA last season. It might be on the way.

Reactions: CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad