Red Sox/MLB Hot Stove Part 2: Lockout Edition - 6 games lost, 156 to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Are they adding a 3 pointer ?
No, but they essentially already have.

Any semblance of strategy, defense, and small ball have basically gone the way of the dodo.

I coached last spring. 12 and 13 year olds.
Really talented kids.
It became evident that much of our competition could not field the ball and could not make accurate throws.

Our team had some really potent hitters, but the bottom third of our lineup was a black hole.

I implemented some drills which focused on slapping the ball the other way, choking up, making contact, hitting the ball on the ground.

The players looked at me like I had three heads.

Everything that is taught these days is to swing out of your shoes, even when the you’ve got two strikes. Swing for the fences. Play for the home run.

And for pitchers, it’s about throng as hard as they can. They’d play on other teams in tournaments and be ineligible to pitch for us. I’d ask how they did.

“I struck out 4 guys and hit 71 on the radar.”

Ok, but how did your TEAM do?

“Oh, we lose, but I don’t care.”

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’d rather see Duran get a shot in RF then Renfroe

Renfoe was an automatic strikeout in playoffs or seemed that way

Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There's no way Duran could handle RF at Fenway.
Yah I was watching NESN and not paying attention- Verdugo is the full time RF

Verdugo RF
Hernandez CF
Duran LF?

Bradley a back up and if Arroyo is 2B and is out Kiki can move to second and Bradley plays center - and we don’t see Verdugo in CF like that horrific Sunday last summer vs Rays when he dropped ball in game Sale pitching allowing all 3 runs to score

5 reasons why Bloom did this IMO no order

1. See above (flex/defense)
2. Prospects specifically the 21 year old
3. Duran
4. Renfroe was terrible in playoffs against good pitching and you don’t want to be the team on the other end of arbitration with him dropping 31 homers and GG finalist

5. Bradley you are buying low and he was good in 2020 and he knows he’s basically a 4th OF

he will likely bounce back to being what he was here - maddening but useful

hopefully he can replicate Shaw and be useful

Last edited:
Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yah I was watching NESN and not paying attention- Verdugo is the full time RF

Verdugo RF
Hernandez CF
Duran LF?

Bradley a back up and if Arroyo is 2B and is out Kiki can move to second and Bradley plays center - and we don’t see Verdugo in CF like that horrific Sunday last summer vs Rays when he dropped ball in game Sale pitching allowing all 3 runs to score

5 reasons why Bloom did this IMO no order

1. See above (flex/defense)
2. Prospects specifically the 21 year old
3. Duran
4. Renfroe was terrible in playoffs against good pitching and you don’t want to be the team on the other end of arbitration with him dropping 31 homers and GG finalist

5. Bradley you are buying low and he was good in 2020 and he knows he’s basically a 4th OF

he will likely bounce back to being what he was here - maddening but useful

hopefully he can replicate Shaw and be useful

My impression of Duran from his time in Boston:

A hole in his swing (112 plate appearances 40 Ks)
Knowledge of the strike zone negligible (4 walks)
Outfield arm like a leg
Great speed on bases

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
No, but they essentially already have.

Any semblance of strategy, defense, and small ball have basically gone the way of the dodo.

I coached last spring. 12 and 13 year olds.
Really talented kids.
It became evident that much of our competition could not field the ball and could not make accurate throws.

Our team had some really potent hitters, but the bottom third of our lineup was a black hole.

I implemented some drills which focused on slapping the ball the other way, choking up, making contact, hitting the ball on the ground.

The players looked at me like I had three heads.

Everything that is taught these days is to swing out of your shoes, even when the you’ve got two strikes. Swing for the fences. Play for the home run.

And for pitchers, it’s about throng as hard as they can. They’d play on other teams in tournaments and be ineligible to pitch for us. I’d ask how they did.

“I struck out 4 guys and hit 71 on the radar.”

Ok, but how did your TEAM do?

“Oh, we lose, but I don’t care.”
Chicks dig the long ball

Reactions: smithformeragent

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My impression of Duran from his time in Boston:

A hole in his swing (112 plate appearances 40 Ks)
Knowledge of the strike zone negligible (4 walks)
Outfield arm like a leg
Great speed on bases
Pretty much

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Duran is kind of like a slightly better Terrance Gore. He can run. But he can't hit and can't field either.

You'd think a guy with track star speed would be a good outfielder, but he's completely lost out there. Still young and could find his swing though. But I think we're overrating him due to his one tangible skill being world-class in speed. Also he looks like Christian Bale so the ladies will love him out there.

I still think the move was to make room for Kyle. Jackie is the designated defensive replacement for him late in games.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Binelas is good
hard to say because a ball and rookie ball are hard to gauge.

What I am worried about is the that this kid is going to be rushed to the majors and function as the replacement for Rafael Devers cuz they aren't going to pay him

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Duran is kind of like a slightly better Terrance Gore. He can run. But he can't hit and can't field either.

You'd think a guy with track star speed would be a good outfielder, but he's completely lost out there. Still young and could find his swing though. But I think we're overrating him due to his one tangible skill being world-class in speed. Also he looks like Christian Bale so the ladies will love him out there.

I still think the move was to make room for Kyle. Jackie is the designated defensive replacement for him late in games.

12 million dollars for a defensive outfielder. But this team wouldn't spend that kind of money to get someone like Noah syndergaard for one year. Bloom is all over the place

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
It's too bad about the lockout. We're going to miss out on all the usual craziness that happens in December and January. :sarcasm:

Reactions: EvilDead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad