Red Sox/MLB MLB considering drastic rule changes that could speed up games, create universal DH in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Yeah Porcello definitely odd man out after this year. I doubt they trade him though since they'll have no reason to. They'll still get a comp pick for him as a FA if he leaves.

They really just need to find a few BP arms, especially a closer, and figure out the catching situation as well. They aren't going to carry 3 catchers on the roster all year, and Swihart certainly won't be a minors/200AB guy again.

Sneaky position of concern is 2B. Pedroia is a total wildcard and nonfactor at this point, can't count on him whatsoever. If he comes back? Great. But I wouldn't bet on it. They also cannot have Nunez playing 2B again. He's a disaster in the field there. Do they bring back Kinsler( :help: )?

naw...Redsox already have their closer lineup... Braiser. 8th inning guy Barnes (or maybe switch around). These two have given all indication that they can do this

Kelly would be nice to bring back for that middle relief/7th inning pitcher

otherwise sox have wright and I'm sure they can attract a few decent vets

Pedroia is done if you ask me. He is beyond rusty

My redsox lineup for next season

1b- Moreland/Pearce - perfect depending on who pitches/every other game
2b- Holt/Nunez - not perfect but not bad
ss- Boggy
3b- Devers
LF - Benny
CF - JBJ
RF -Betts

C - Vazques/Leon

would be nice to bring back Swihart but no way he signs to be the third catcher/utility player on the team

Starting pitching

Sale, Price, Eovaldi, Porcello, Erod

BP (for now)
Wright, Barnes, Braiser .... hopefully Kelly returns and team could use one or two lefties out of the BP

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
naw...Redsox already have their closer lineup... Braiser. 8th inning guy Barnes (or maybe switch around). These two have given all indication that they can do this

Kelly would be nice to bring back for that middle relief/7th inning pitcher

otherwise sox have wright and I'm sure they can attract a few decent vets

Pedroia is done if you ask me. He is beyond rusty

My redsox lineup for next season

1b- Moreland/Pearce - perfect depending on who pitches/every other game
2b- Holt/Nunez - not perfect but not bad
ss- Boggy
3b- Devers
LF - Benny
CF - JBJ
RF -Betts

C - Vazques/Leon

would be nice to bring back Swihart but no way he signs to be the third catcher/utility player on the team

Starting pitching

Sale, Price, Eovaldi, Porcello, Erod

BP (for now)
Wright, Barnes, Braiser .... hopefully Kelly returns and team could use one or two lefties out of the BP

Agree with a lot of this. Always forget about Holt for some reason, so disregard the Kinsler comment. They could get by with Holt/Nunez I think.

Couple things for me though. I think if Kimbrel had one year left on his deal and got hurt in spring training or something, they'd consider Braiser for the closer role since their options would be limited. I don't think that's a smart idea (or their plan) for this upcoming year though quite honestly. Barnes would scare the ever living shit out of me in that role. People complained about Kimbrel's inconsistency, and it was warranted, but Barnes is even worse in that regard. Personally I'd be disappointed if they went into the year with one of those two in that role.

I think they retain Swihart and trade one of Vasquez or Leon. I'm a big Leon guy, but he's not someone you keep on a roster if they are in danger of losing someone like Swihart, whom looking back, I was way too overly critical of last year. I think they role with Vasquez/Swihart next year. They cannot go another year getting next to nothing from the C position offensively. Swihart with regular ABs should help that. Leon is making next to nothing, and would be a great clubhouse/veteran guy for most teams.

Ideally they sign one of Miller, Robertson, or Britton and role into next year with mostly the same team. Wouldn't mind Kelly back either quite honestly, but he seems like he's in line to price himself out.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Eovaldi per Mark Feinsand signs a 4 year/67.5 million contract (approx 16.8 million per season)

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Sign Kelly and Robertson, call it an offseason til pitchers and catchers.

Good job DD
I'd rather Miller than Robertson, but either would do. Britton is a distant third.

Miller to me fills so many holes if he's healthy. Lefty out of the pen? Check. Strikeout guy? Check. Can pitch multiple innings or one batter if needed? Check. Can set-up or close? Check. Had an ugly ERA last year, but his advanced stats showed he was much better than ERA suggested (stupid stat anyways).

Miller should be their target, and a 2 year deal should get it done, though I do wonder if a desperate team gives him 3 (Philles?).

Reactions: N o o d l e s

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Like the Eovoldi signing and I also would grab who checks out better Robertson or Britton and Joe Kelly.

As for 2B I play it out and see where Pedroia is - they got 3 backups already there

Porcello I keep and try and extend - durable power sinker pitcher who’s an animal and can pitch in playoffs out of pen

I like him

Reactions: Seidenbergy

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Like the Eovoldi signing and I also would grab who checks out better Robertson or Britton and Joe Kelly.

As for 2B I play it out and see where Pedroia is - they got 3 backups already there

Porcello I keep and try and extend - durable power sinker pitcher who’s an animal and can pitch in playoffs out of pen

I like him
In a perfect world they keep Rick, but at some point their payroll is going to become unsustainable with luxury tax implications. Betts, Benintendi, and Bogaerts will all need new deals, plus there's always the Sale contract extension looming.

I just don't see room for Porcello making 20ish million after this year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
In a perfect world they keep Rick, but at some point their payroll is going to become unsustainable with luxury tax implications. Betts, Benintendi, and Bogaerts will all need new deals, plus there's always the Sale contract extension looming.

You worry about your payroll when you have to

They are a billion dollar company and TV programming

They need to be all in because the Yankees are

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I'd rather Miller than Robertson, but either would do. Britton is a distant third.

Miller to me fills so many holes if he's healthy. Lefty out of the pen? Check. Strikeout guy? Check. Can pitch multiple innings or one batter if needed? Check. Can set-up or close? Check. Had an ugly ERA last year, but his advanced stats showed he was much better than ERA suggested (stupid stat anyways).

Miller should be their target, and a 2 year deal should get it done, though I do wonder if a desperate team gives him 3 (Philles?).

I’d actually like Miller and Robertson but I figured that gets too pricey :laugh:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Henry can afford it

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Totally forgot about Charlie Morton.

He's an interesting arm, and probably could be had on the cheap.

Still think if they are teetering so close to the tax line this season already they might as well just go over it and acquire a big arm or two to really round out that pen.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
You worry about your payroll when you have to

They are a billion dollar company and TV programming

They need to be all in because the Yankees are

Yankees never signed 1 free agent yet unless your couting a washed up CC and Brett Gardner.They might be under the luxury tax again.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Just checking in to remind y’all that David Price is good ;)

I think it’s going to be fascinating to see what the Sox do about closer. The Pirates have Kela so I wonder if they’d move Vazquez. I wouldn’t make another reliever trade though...too volatile of a position to keep emptying the cupboard for. We’ve definitely learned that through guys like Gagne, Bailey, Hanrahan, Melancon, and Thornburg

I think we end up with a former Yankee- could be any of Miller, Britton, or Robertson. I like all as bridge options to (hopefully) Feltman

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

I think it’s going to be fascinating to see what the Sox do about closer. The Pirates have Kela so I wonder if they’d move Vazquez. I wouldn’t make another reliever trade though...too volatile of a position to keep emptying the cupboard for. We’ve definitely learned that through guys like Gagne, Bailey, Hanrahan, Melancon, and Thornburg

I think we end up with a former Yankee- could be any of Miller, Britton, or Robertson. I like all as bridge options to (hopefully) Feltman

I’d love Vazquez. That would be a great acquisition. Pittsburgh is in a weird spot where they could be good or suck. That division has become a lot tougher though so maybe they would. It’s definitely worth a call.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

No check in needed. We know he is good. A dink, but good.

Nice to see a troll update us

Reactions: shoulders7

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Harold Baines and Lee Smith elected to the hall of fame by a 16 member panel that reviews players from last 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad