Red Sox/MLB MLB considering drastic rule changes that could speed up games, create universal DH in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Bradford shot it down but there were reports of the diamondbacks having interest in JBJ

If they were to move Bogaerts for an elite prospect package then I could see them being interested in the SS Nick Ahmed from Arizona

I don’t think they move bogaerts or Bradley though tbh.

Would be a homecoming for Ahmed

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Ok, I understand sign with the highest bidder

but still, sign with the team you just help beat in the WS? how do you do that

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I like clubhouse Joe Kelly but if you asked me in august last year I wanted him gone. He was definitely more aggravating than anything while he was here. He certainly wasn’t worth paying over 8m a year.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm disappointed. I really wanted to keep Kelly around. Guy was a beast in the playoffs and seemed like a great clubhouse guy too.

I was fully expecting him to return like Pearce and Evo. Bullpen's going to need reinforcements now. Looks like Kimbrel is demanding some ridiculous contract too that only a crazy team would give a reliever. Ugh.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I like clubhouse Joe Kelly but if you asked me in august last year I wanted him gone. He was definitely more aggravating than anything while he was here. He certainly wasn’t worth paying over 8m a year.

Yeah there were probably more downs that ups during his time here. Thank him for a good playoffs and move on. Thrilled we didn't lose Eovaldi thats the pitcher that would have stung to see leave. We might end up with a better bullpen when things shake out.

Looks like Kimbrel will remain on the market into February as he wants 6 years 100 mil. I'd throw a 1 year 20 mil offer at him if its late in the game and he wants to try again next winter.

Reactions: sarge88

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Do we get a comp pick for losing JK
No.

A team only gains the ability to receive a draft pick if they extended the player a qualifying offer, which was then rejected.

Qualifying offer is a one year deal at the average of the top 125 salaries in baseball from the previous season, so in this case, $17.9 million.

The only player this applies to is Kimbrel.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Liked Kelly, sad to see him leave. I'd honestly have thought long and hard about re-signing him to that deal.

I get the inconsistency with him is frustrating because we all know he has the pure arm talent to be very good, but he's a good pitcher. Can pitch multiple innings, can pitch pretty much anywhere in the pen.

I do think he found something with his delivery late in the year that really made him dominant in the post season. From my recollection, he completely abandoned a pitch in the postseason (slider I thnk?), and it really worked.

In 3 post seasons w/ Red Sox:
17.2 IP, 1 ER, 17K, 0 BB

Kudos Joe.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Too bad. I think he could have been the closer for the Sox this year, though they appear not to think so. Interesting to see if whoever they sign as closer will get a lot less than Kelly's deal with the Dodgers.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The Rays just signed Charlie Morton for 2y/$30m
Really good deal for the Rays. Definitely wanted Boston to take a shot at him.

Snell, Morton, Glasnow as true starters, then do their opener thing before giving way to someone like Yarbrough or Chirinos? Pretty damn decent.

If the Rays get any type of consistent offense, they could be a WC team.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Don't be fooled. Joe Kelly caught fire at the right time for the Sox. But he is not a big loss.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Don't be fooled. Joe Kelly caught fire at the right time for the Sox. But he is not a big loss.
I mean that's the eternal question with Kelly. Consistency.

Would I expect him to go out in the regular season and dominate like that? No.

But do I think having a consistent delivery and lowering his pitch arsenal to 4 seam, curve, changeup put him at around a mid 3's ERA? Yes, 100%. If that's the player they could get, along with the flexibility they'd have with him out of the pen, that's worth the contract.

Not my money, but I think in the long run I'd have taken a gamble on him.

Sox probably weren't willing to go the extra year is my guess.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
If money was no concern at all I say sure, sign him. Bring everybody back etc. But there is at least some budget in play when you account for the luxury tax. They have gone over it but I think overall they want to bring that number down especially with some younger players coming up for big deals like Betts and Bogaerts. I know they have all the money in the world, just thinking like they are thinking. They want to bring the number down if at all possible. So that means saying goodbye to a guy like Kelly and probably Kimbrel too. They prioritized Eovaldi which I have no problem with. Really, if at some point you want to turn to Eovaldi as the closer or 8th inning guy I could see that working out.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
If money was no concern at all I say sure, sign him. Bring everybody back etc. But there is at least some budget in play when you account for the luxury tax. They have gone over it but I think overall they want to bring that number down especially with some younger players coming up for big deals like Betts and Bogaerts. I know they have all the money in the world, just thinking like they are thinking. They want to bring the number down if at all possible. So that means saying goodbye to a guy like Kelly and probably Kimbrel too. They prioritized Eovaldi which I have no problem with. Really, if at some point you want to turn to Eovaldi as the closer or 8th inning guy I could see that working out.

Money is part of it, but realistically they can't re-sign all of their core guys. Betts is the important one, and he's UFA after 2020 season.

Sox have Sandoval and Castillo dead money all off the books by then, which is around 34 million, AKA Betts' money.

Bogearts is probably a walk. Boras guy, will look to reset market. Not sure I'd pay him what he'll get.

JBJ is a walk or trade. Doens't bring enough to warrant a big contract.

Benny has until 2023 before UFA, not a priority in next few years.

JD Martinez is an interesting case, as he can opt out any year after this upcoming season.

Sale is also UFA after 2019.

No reason to not go for it again in 2019. They're already over the tax.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad