Speculation: Hossa

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
No, and that's the point. They didn't get overpaid and neither will Leddy, that's part of the reason why Chicago's "cap hell" is overblown everyone thinks Leddy is gone get 4-5+ even though guys better than him (Subban/MDZ) didn't get much.

Ha, I'm stupid, ya I get what he was saying now.

I don't know why anyone would think Leddy would get 4+, I see him getting around 2. My guess is Chicago will be ok with letting Handzus and Stalberg walk, they will for sure want to retain Bickell and RFA's like Leddy and Kreuger. Bickell will be interesting, if he wants to get paid he could probably make a lot more somewhere other then Chicago.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hawks will probably try to re-sign Bickell (Looks bleak at this point)

Leddy/Kruger will be brought back at raises (I would peg Leddy at 2.5M and Kruger at 1.4M)

Morin/Smith/Pirri/Hayes ,, Some combo or trio of that group likely makes team

If they need more cap room then Boland is likely traded. He is shadow of his former self now and with Shaw's emergence at #3 C this year the Hawks can afford to dump him and his terrible cap hit

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Leddy/Kruger will be brought back at raises (I would peg Leddy at 2.5M and Kruger at 1.4M)

If they need more cap room then Boland is likely traded. He is shadow of his former self now and with Shaw's emergence at #3 C this year the Hawks can afford to dump him and his terrible cap hit

Not surprisingly given he is a Hawks mod, but this is what I expect to happen. Along with Stalberg leaves which isn't listed. I think Bolland is shipped this summer, will be interesting to see what his return is. The RFA deals are closer to what will actually happen.

Olesz and Montador are bought out. They keep Hossa and even if they were going to not buyout Montador and found some taker, I think they would still wait an additional year to buyout Hossa. They would find a way to finesse under the cap and re-evaluate the long-term notion of this the following summer. Also something to watch and make no mistake at two/thirds an extra year saves potentially millions of dollars, I know these owners are rich, but that is a part of what I think you are seeing when guys like Bryz are getting another year. Another front loaded year where you actually get play from these guys is important if you can figure out how to do it. That year also lowers the buyout, in some cases that could be worth 15 to 20 million in terms of the owners mind, he got some usage out of him and lowered his buyout.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'd welcome back Hossa.

But the Hawks aren't that stupid.

IMO the Hawks would've minimized their fall from grace had they not signed Hossa and kept two of Ladd, Byfuglien and/or Versteeg. He's unnecessary based on how their team is built, but he's playing great this postseason.

Detroit Sports*

Holland loves retreads I'd say this has a 80% chance of happening if he is bought out.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Holland loves retreads I'd say this has a 80% chance of happening if he is bought out.

As far as Wing retreads go, this isn't bringing back J-Will or Todd "a shell of his former self" Bertuzzi for another kick at the can, but instead a legitimately great player. I'll take this retread with no second thoughts.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If Hossa gets bought out he'll be a lucky man. Big buyout money and still in age+form to get another juicy deal with a contender.

His contract is tradable in my opinion anyway.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

My question to you would be, who exactly wants Bolland and his terrible cap hit? I'm not seeing anyone who'd dump assets for him. I think you're stuck with him

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
My question to you would be, who exactly wants Bolland and his terrible cap hit? I'm not seeing anyone who'd dump assets for him. I think you're stuck with him

Dave Bolland is a really good 3rd line center that can play on the 2nd if needed. Plenty of teams would want him.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
Dave Bolland is a really good 3rd line center that can play on the 2nd if needed. Plenty of teams would want him.

Not really, that was shown this year for the Hawks. Bolland had one awesome playoff against the Sedins and got paid/overhyped for that performance. He is not, nor ever was, that player game in - game out.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

I don't think anyone is trading for Bolland unless they really needed salary to hit the floor. And I think he'll get bought out anyway after the year to free up some cap space. I'd stil pass on him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think anyone is trading for Bolland unless they really needed salary to hit the floor. And I think he'll get bought out anyway after the year to free up some cap space. I'd stil pass on him.

They already have to buyout Olesz and Montador. So they are going to have to dump Bolland, cannot buy him out. Part of why the buyout Hossa ideas seem interesting. I guess they could but they already have their tailor made buyouts in Chicago.

CertainAffinity*

IMO the Hawks would've minimized their fall from grace had they not signed Hossa and kept two of Ladd, Byfuglien and/or Versteeg. He's unnecessary based on how their team is built, but he's playing great this postseason.

I'd say 'fall from grace' is a tad melodramatic given they're back in the SCF 3 years after winning the cup.

And given how Hossa has played over the last few years, I can't really say it's a no-brainer to take two of those three over him. He's too good/useful.

In any case, it doesn't really matter cause I can't see the Hawks buying him out. He's playing like a man five years his junior, and will likely play at a high level for several more years, which would take him to within.....what, three years of his contract expiring (2019, right?). After that, they'll probably put him on LTIR a la Pronger. He gets his money, no cap hit, no cap penalty.

crashman

I'd say 'fall from grace' is a tad melodramatic given they're back in the SCF 3 years after winning the cup.

And given how Hossa has played over the last few years, I can't really say it's a no-brainer to take two of those three over him. He's too good/useful.

In any case, it doesn't really matter cause I can't see the Hawks buying him out. He's playing like a man five years his junior, and will likely play at a high level for several more years, which would take him to within.....what, three years of his contract expiring (2019, right?). After that, they'll probably put him on LTIR a la Pronger. He gets his money, no cap hit, no cap penalty.

This guy found the loophole! Looks we can just put Franzen and Zetterberg on LTIR when they get older, even if they're not injured...perfect.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I'll never dispute the fact that Hossa is a great player, I just think in the Hawks situation with already having Toews, Kane and Sharp that they would be better off with a combination of Ladd, Byfuglien and/or Versteeg than having one Hossa. He can be a game breaker and few are faster or better without the puck, but with the makeup of their team, I felt like the other way was better. Obviously two finals in the past few years it doesn't matter.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
They already have to buyout Olesz and Montador. So they are going to have to dump Bolland, cannot buy him out. Part of why the buyout Hossa ideas seem interesting. I guess they could but they already have their tailor made buyouts in Chicago.

Oh yeah, forgot about those 2. They'll be getting pennies on the dollar for Bolland in any kind of deal. I don't care enough to check capgeek, but I'm sure any/all teams struggling to hit the cap floor next season will be hearing from the Hawks soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad