Speculation: Hossa

Redwings1926

May 31, 2013
Tucson, AZ
The Hawks have a lot of guys that are either RFA or UFA, Kruger and Leddy are RFA and Handzus, Stallberg, Mayers, Bickell, Rozsival and Emery are all UFA. Bickell is going to get a huge raise based on his 9 playoff goals to date this year. They may have to by Hossa out and I hope to hell that if it happens that we jump on him. I wanted him over Franzen from the jump. Would love to sign Bickell as well, but he may be pricing himself out of a lot of teams!

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I highly doubt they buy out Hossa, they have better options as far as compliance buy outs like Olesz and Montador.

They won't be able to keep all their UFA/RFA's but they should be able to keep most of them without having to do anything drastic.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Hossa back? Yes please.

He'd make about $2m on his buyout, so we might be able to get him for close to Franzen's cap hit.

Definitely for under $5m... buy out Sammy and Bert, and use the $$$ for Hossa?

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Hossa back? Yes please.

He'd make about $2m on his buyout, so we might be able to get him for close to Franzen's cap hit.

Definitely for under $5m... buy out Sammy and Bert, and use the $$$ for Hossa?

Not a chance, have you seen the contracts players have gotten recently? Hossa could easily get 6m + as a UFA. Him taking a huge discount just because he gets buyout money makes zero sense for him.

Anyways there is no way they buy him out, they will probably be able to re-sign all their important players except Stalberg without buying out Hossa, and I'm sure Chicago would rather have Hossa than Stalberg.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Too old IMO, he'll be 35 in January, only got a few years left.

He's still playing like a force.

Sign him for 3-4 years, Nyquist/Tatar/Andersson full time next year. Then in a year or two, Ferraro/Jarnkrok/Frk/Jurco or whatever combination of them seems ready. Now you've got a offensively potent roster, filled with cheap young kids. And some of them are big. Most of them are fast. Spend the rest of that money on defense.

Let's get another cup for Datsyuk/Zetterberg before they retire.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I highly doubt they buy out Hossa, they have better options as far as compliance buy outs like Olesz and Montador.

They won't be able to keep all their UFA/RFA's but they should be able to keep most of them without having to do anything drastic.

Technically, Olesz is already bought out with a regular buyout... Unless Capgeek is pulling one on me. All they have to do really, is buyout Montador and they're good. They'll hand Brandon Pirri the 2nd line job next year. They won't be as good this year, but they won't be bad either. Dumping Hossa would be a terrible move. But yes, I'd waste no time signing him.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Pick him up in a heartbeat if he's bought out- it's a no-brainer. The guy plays Selke-level defense on the wing (IMO), is great at puck possession, and his quick release wrister is awesome... one of my favorite players in the league.

Even if he wasn't still a great player, I'd like Kenny to sign him just to shut up all of the idiot Wings fans who boo him every game at the Joe since he signed with the Hawks. The guy left a lot of guaranteed long-term $ on the table to sign with Detroit for one season, and then left to take the Hawks offer when it was clear he was the odd man out with the Wings roster situation... never understood how fans could boo him for that. Any player would do the same thing in his situation.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Pick him up in a heartbeat if he's bought out- it's a no-brainer. The guy plays Selke-level defense on the wing (IMO), is great at puck possession, and his quick release wrister is awesome... one of my favorite players in the league.

Even if he wasn't still a great player, I'd like Kenny to sign him just to shut up all of the idiot Wings fans who boo him every game at the Joe since he signed with the Hawks. The guy left a lot of guaranteed long-term $ on the table to sign with Detroit for one season, and then left to take the Hawks offer when it was clear he was the odd man out with the Wings roster situation... never understood how fans could boo him for that. Any player would do the same thing in his situation.

I wouldn't boo the guy, but I don't think it helped that Hossa didn't exactly break the bank to sign with Chicago. The averages between the Wings and Hawks deals was around $400K or $500K a year, wasn't it? It's a bit unfair, but I can imagine people asking that if he liked Detroit so much, why he wasn't willing to lose that extra bit of cash every year.

As I said, it's a bit unfair, and I don't hold it against Hossa for bolting. Good player, and it worked out well for him. Meanwhile, I'd hate having another of those lifetime deals on the Wings.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I wouldn't boo the guy, but I don't think it helped that Hossa didn't exactly break the bank to sign with Chicago. The averages between the Wings and Hawks deals was around $400K or $500K a year, wasn't it? It's a bit unfair, but I can imagine people asking that if he liked Detroit so much, why he wasn't willing to lose that extra bit of cash every year.

As I said, it's a bit unfair, and I don't hold it against Hossa for bolting. Good player, and it worked out well for him. Meanwhile, I'd hate having another of those lifetime deals on the Wings.

It's tough to nail down exactly what the Wings were offering Hossa after his season with them- seems to have been in the neighborhood of $45M or so over 10 years. Assuming that's correct, or close to being right, then the Hawks offer of $63M over 12 years was much better. I don't think he'd have much earning power if he was to complete the 10 year deal with the Wings and then hit the market at age 39 or 40.

I laugh when I read Wings fans or media/bloggers call his 1 year deal with Detroit as a "mercenary" contract. I thought it was pretty ballsy on his part. He reportedly turned down a $5M/7 year deal from the Pens to sign with Detroit, and a $9M/multi-year deal from the Oilers, so he was taking a huge risk with a 1 year deal signed in his prime- one Matt Cooke headshot or a blown ACL and he's out $50M+.

I'm sure he hoped the 1 year Wings contract could turn into a multi-year deal but they didn't compete with Chicago's offer. After the risk he took with the 1 year deal, I don't see why he should have felt compelled to take less $$ to stay in Detroit, or why the Wings would expect it. He probably took stock of the Wings and Hawks rosters and immediate futures, and went with the team with the better Cup chances (he got that one right) that also happened to pay him a sizable amount more $$. I agree with you that he didn't even break the bank with his Hawks deal either- seems like he could have pulled a larger deal given his skill level, production, and being in his prime.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I'd take Hossa back in a heartbeat. I don't think Chicago will buy him out though.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's tough to nail down exactly what the Wings were offering Hossa after his season with them- seems to have been in the neighborhood of $45M or so over 10 years. Assuming that's correct, or close to being right, then the Hawks offer of $63M over 12 years was much better. I don't think he'd have much earning power if he was to complete the 10 year deal with the Wings and then hit the market at age 39 or 40.

I laugh when I read Wings fans or media/bloggers call his 1 year deal with Detroit as a "mercenary" contract. I thought it was pretty ballsy on his part. He reportedly turned down a $5M/7 year deal from the Pens to sign with Detroit, and a $9M/multi-year deal from the Oilers, so he was taking a huge risk with a 1 year deal signed in his prime- one Matt Cooke headshot or a blown ACL and he's out $50M+.

I'm sure he hoped the 1 year Wings contract could turn into a multi-year deal but they didn't compete with Chicago's offer. After the risk he took with the 1 year deal, I don't see why he should have felt compelled to take less $$ to stay in Detroit, or why the Wings would expect it. He probably took stock of the Wings and Hawks rosters and immediate futures, and went with the team with the better Cup chances (he got that one right) that also happened to pay him a sizable amount more $$. I agree with you that he didn't even break the bank with his Hawks deal either- seems like he could have pulled a larger deal given his skill level, production, and being in his prime.

for some reason, I keep thinking the cap hit thrown around for the wings deal was for 12 years, but I'm probably getting it confused with Franzen's deal. And after a handful of links not turning up anything on a quick google, I just don't have the interest in mining for it right now. Needless to say that I agree,though. I don't see how he owed us anything, and the oiler deal was I thought 9/$81m. It was a ridiculously huge deal to leave on the table, and a big chance to take to sign with Detroit for a year.

I think the wings were just hoping they could sell Hossa on taking less to preserve depth, and maybe his under valuing the market slightly. Of course, it should be noted that chicago was a perfect storm for adding him and having a bunch of depth signed to cheap deals just before that first group of theirs hit bigger RFA/UFA deals. If the Hossa thing happens to us a season or two earlier, and we probably find room to give him a bit more per season while still keeping the crew together for a couple of years before purging in a similar way that chicago purged.

Tonic

Jan 25, 2013
They only have $2 million left in cap room and will likely resign Leddy to something like $20 million over 4 years. Hossa may very well be bought out, especially since Kane and Toews are due for raises again in 2 years anyways.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
They only have $2 million left in cap room and will likely resign Leddy to something like $20 million over 4 years. Hossa may very well be bought out, especially since Kane and Toews are due for raises again in 2 years anyways.

If you're getting that number from capgeek you have to remember that currently there are players on their roster that are actually their "Black Aces" who can still be sent to the minors without waivers.

With them removed from the line-up they have over 5 million in space.

They will also likely use one of their buyouts on Olesz since they are paying a penalty to bury him in the minors, and after that Montador would make sense as a buyout bringing their cap room up to almost 10 million to fill 6 or 7 roster spots.

Not enough to re-sign everyone, but enough to prevent having to buyout Hossa.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I can see them buying him out NEXT year based on the cap penalty which will come if he ends up retiring 1 or 2 years before his contract is up. Not this year, though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Why cause the Rangers overpaid Del Zotto? The Canadiens overpaid Subban? That figure on Leddy is way above anything he is close to getting. For the record both those players are better than Leddy.

I don't think Hossa will be bought out, but if I was Hossa I would root for it, he should get 6 million or maybe a little more afterwards, why not get paid twice? Bobby Holik is in the top 10 in career earnings thanks to a buyout and another big contract.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Why cause the Rangers overpaid Del Zotto? The Canadiens overpaid Subban? That figure on Leddy is way above anything he is close to getting. For the record both those players are better than Leddy.

I don't think Hossa will be bought out, but if I was Hossa I would root for it, he should get 6 million or maybe a little more afterwards, why not get paid twice? Bobby Holik is in the top 10 in career earnings thanks to a buyout and another big contract.

2.875m is overpayment for a Norris finalist?

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
2.875m is overpayment for a Norris finalist?

No, and that's the point. They didn't get overpaid and neither will Leddy, that's part of the reason why Chicago's "cap hell" is overblown everyone thinks Leddy is going to get 4-5+ even though guys better than him (Subban/MDZ) didn't get much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad