Speculation: Hossa

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This guy found the loophole! Looks we can just put Franzen and Zetterberg on LTIR when they get older, even if they're not injured...perfect.

People have been saying this since the thing got signed. The chances most players in their late 30's in the NHL pass a true physical are minimal. Yzerman would have failed a rigorous physical for his last decade in the league.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
The Hawks will keep him I think. They will search out other options before buying Hossa out. I doubt he would wan't to come back to Detroit though after the org picked Franzen over him, at least I wouldn't. Who knows though... It could happen, I wouldn't complain.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Carolina and Tampa have Cap issues.

There are this compliance buyouts. Brewer/Malone on Tampa.

Isles aren't going to trade squat.

That is very much possible.

Caps already have an abundance of centers.

No they don't. Bolland is just what they need if they let Ribs walk.

Bäcks
Majo/Laich/Perreault
Bolland
Beagle

MaJo and Laich are better at wing.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
There are this compliance buyouts. Brewer/Malone on Tampa.

Yup, Tampa should screw over their Dcorps or offensive depth (Vinny is guaranteed to be bought out, mind you) just to get a third line overpayed center on the team. Wonderful idea. Carolina doesn't have anyone to buy out outside of Rutuu that wouldn't hurt their team.

Glad we agree

No they don't. Bolland is just what they need if they let Ribs walk.

Bäcks
Majo/Laich/Perreault
Bolland
Beagle

MaJo and Laich are better at wing.

If the Caps are planning on resigning Mike Ribeiro, they will have 6 capable centers on their roster. They don't need a seventh overpayed one.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yup, Tampa should screw over their Dcorps or offensive depth (Vinny is guaranteed to be bought out, mind you) just to get a third line overpayed center on the team. Wonderful idea.

Brewer sucks. To put it mildly. He's a LOT more overpaid than Bolland, lol. Bolland isn't overpaid imo (well he was for the past reg. season) he's tremendous defensive player. Sometimes lazy during the reg. season but really brings it in postseason. Maybe not point wise, but in defensive play.

Tampa needs Bolland, good third line C a lot more than Brewer, defensive D who can't play D.

If you are relying on Brewer for defensive depth you're already ****ed up. If getting rid of Brewer screws your D corps you're already ****ed up; see third last finish past season. At least the Brewer of last season. You can sign guys like Brewer for less than 1 mil.

But that depends on what plans Yzerman has for Killorn, Johnson etc.

Vinny isn't guaranteed to get bought out imo. Very much possible but not guaranteed.

Definitely not this offseason. They need some replacement, C depth is already poor, arguably worse than D depth.

Didn't say I agree, just that it's possible. Don't know what Isles plans are. Maybe go cheap until they are out of Nassau.

If the Caps are planning on resigning Mike Ribeiro, they will have 6 capable centers on their roster. They don't need a seventh overpayed one.

Bäcks
Ribs
Perreault
Beagle

I count 4.

Laich and MaJo aren't that good at C, they are better used at wing. Bolland instead of Perreault is just what they need, guy who can take pressure of the top two lines. MaJo has basically never produced at C, Laich is ok defensively but doesn't bring enough offense on top two lines at C.

Sure Laich and MaJo can play C but that leaves LW depth bad that is already shallow, and they won't be contending for Cup with roster like that.

And it has been around 50-50 if Caps re-sign Ribs or not.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you're getting that number from capgeek you have to remember that currently there are players on their roster that are actually their "Black Aces" who can still be sent to the minors without waivers.

With them removed from the line-up they have over 5 million in space.

They will also likely use one of their buyouts on Olesz since they are paying a penalty to bury him in the minors, and after that Montador would make sense as a buyout bringing their cap room up to almost 10 million to fill 6 or 7 roster spots.

Not enough to re-sign everyone, but enough to prevent having to buyout Hossa.

Black Aces don't count against the cap and aren't shown on Cap Geek. Also, Montador and Olesz are not eligible for buyouts. (Sorry, but I have to highlight that as people keep offering this up...)

Hossa is really their best buyout option. He has an incredibly long contract, which has to scare their management. On top of that, if they don't buy him out they'll have no chance to sign the vast majority of their UFAs or RFAs. Honestly, I don't even think they could hold on to Leddy if he was tendered a $3.2M contract.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Black Aces don't count against the cap and aren't shown on Cap Geek. Also, Montador and Olesv are not eligible for buyouts. (Sorry, but I have to highlight that as people keep offering this up...)

Hossa is really their best buyout option. He has an incredibly long contract, which has to scare their management. On top of that, if they don't buy him out they'll have no chance the vast majority of their UFAs or RFAs. Honestly, I don't even think they could hold on to Leddy if he was tendered a $3.2M contact.

They are eligible. It was only before the season that comp. buyouts applied only for players that made 3 mil or more. Now they are just like regular buyouts. Daly mentioned it some time ago, too.

They can easily keep Leddy under 3 mil. on bridge contract. Look at what Subban and Kulikov got etc.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
They are eligible. It was only before the season that comp. buyouts applied only for players that made 3 mil or more. Now they are just like regular buyouts. Daly mentioned it some time ago, too.

They can easily keep Leddy under 3 mil. on bridge contract. Look at what Subban and Kulikov got etc.

Oh, sorry... I thought it was all buyouts, not just the Reddens and Gomezs of the world. If thats the case, my bad.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Brewer sucks. To put it mildly. He's a LOT more overpaid than Bolland, lol. Bolland isn't overpaid imo (well he was for the past reg. season) he's tremendous defensive player. Sometimes lazy during the reg. season but really brings it in postseason. Maybe not point wise, but in defensive play.

Tampa needs Bolland, good third line C a lot more than Brewer, defensive D who can't play D.

If you are relying on Brewer for defensive depth you're already ****ed up. If getting rid of Brewer screws your D corps you're already ****ed up; see third last finish past season. At least the Brewer of last season. You can sign guys like Brewer for less than 1 mil.

But that depends on what plans Yzerman has for Killorn, Johnson etc.

Vinny isn't guaranteed to get bought out imo. Very much possible but not guaranteed.
Vinny is making $7 million on a team with little cap space and spaces to fill. Assuming they draft MacKinnon, they will have four centers. They won't need a fifth.

Bäcks
Ribs
Perreault
Beagle

I count 4.

And four is all you need.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Vinny is making $7 million on a team with little cap space and spaces to fill. Assuming they draft MacKinnon, they will have four centers. They won't need a fifth.

I'm 95% sure that MacKinnon goes to Florida at 2nd overall. It makes just too much sense to me.

Tampa may take Barkov.

In that case, they could look at buying out Vinny.

Cap is going up, soon, but still they have around 15 mil on their 2 C's and though when healthy, Vinny is close to worth that money, he likely won't be for the duration of his contract.

Good C depth never hurts. Boston has basically what, 6-7 Cs on their roster?

But there is escape clause for them.. LTIR.. Vinny gets all of his money and gets to stay on the team and place he loves.. Tampa gets off the hook when Vinny's level of play falls. Doubt Vinny's shoulders would pass physical's even now. Maybe they go that route, dunno.

Or Zetterberg's back. I think Z goes on LTIR when/if he's not close to worth his cap hit.

And four is all you need.

The problem is Perreault and Ribs are all offense. Beagle is 4th liner, and though Bäcks is good defensively, he can't shoulder all the load and take all the defensive responsibilities.

Bolland would be what they need, but they won't have the cap space if they re-sign Ribs. Would have to move Laich or Brouwer or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad