Friedman: Horvat Talks Intensifying [Update: Jan 20, 2023 - #679]

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
If he can't help a team get over the hump to get in the playoffs where half the teams in the league make it how can he help a playoff team beat the best of the best to win the cup?

"a perfect fit on a team that doesn't need him to be a standout" --well if the team doesn't need him to be a standout why would they pay 3 1sts or blue chip prospects ++ to get him?
I don't think he gets 3 1sts or a blue chipper but Horvat is absolutely a playoff beast, even as a 19 year old he stood out for us on a team that other then him was completely flat, while playing on the fourth line. Last time we lucked out and got in he was a scoring machine. The teams lack of success is in no way his fault and all on the awful construct of the teams blue line and depth overall.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Boston’s interest would clearly be more about next year and beyond which is why it would be strange to see them give up a top 4 RHD in Carlo when they are contending. A package around Lysell + 1st would make more sense but would it be enough?

A package of futures (Morrow/Nikishin + 1st) and possibly facilitated by the dumping of KK makes sense, except the Canes have not done a deal like this in the past. The Canucks would be foolish not to pursue defensive prospects of this calibre and KK fits their ill-guided plan to procure young NHL ready talent.

Colorado also makes lots of sense, but whether they have or want to trade the assets that others will is an open q. Maybe Newhook + 1st gets it done, maybe not. Not sure what else they could realistically add other than a 3rd. This package might be acceptable but it is a bit disappointing, depending on how you feel about Newhook. Perhaps a fall back plan.

Then there are other lees expected teams like Detroit that make a lot of sense for multiple reasons but I can’t see Yzerman giving up the assets without a strong indication an extension is possible, which is not currently being allowed by Van. A package of Rasmussen, Wallinder, 1st with the potential for more would be easily affordable by Detroit and likely of interest to Van as well. The question is would the higher 1st be enough to justify the drop off between Wallinder and Morrow/Nikishin or (debatedly) Rasmussen vs. KK.

Obviously as a Nucks fan I want the most I can get, but any of the above can likely be stockade by other teams and would be acceptable in a vacuum.

TLDR:

1st, Lysell (+}
1st, Morrow/Nikishin (+ maybe KK)
1st, Newhook (+)
1st, Rasmussen, Wallinder (+)

I’d say the Canes deal is best, with Detroit a close second

i don’t see Horvat returning anywhere near what you listed st the bottom without an agreed extension.

Carolina is a little different……..remember Aho was OS by montreal which us why KKwas OS.

Aho is a UFA in summer 24. So Carolina could look at acquire Horvat if they can resign him well below what Aho ask would be, then look at trading Aho At the draft.

• Haha
Reactions: Incubajerks

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
If the wings do trade for him, and I don't think they will, no way Stevie trades the 2023 1st in a package. Will be a top 10 pick and lottery eligible.

Horvat is great dont get me wrong, but doesn't make the wings a playoff team, Yzerman wont waste high 1sts...but if he could sign him long term for free :oops:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
If the wings do trade for him, and I don't think they will, no way Stevie trades the 2023 1st in a package. Will be a top 10 pick and lottery eligible.

Horvat is great dont get me wrong, but doesn't make the wings a playoff team, Yzerman wont waste high 1sts...but if he could sign him long term for free :oops:
There is no chance you are getting Horvat without including your first....unless you're including a prospect like Kasper+ or Edvinsson, both which just won't happen.

• Haha
Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
i don’t see Horvat returning anywhere near what you listed st the bottom without an agreed extension.

Carolina is a little different……..remember Aho was OS by montreal which us why KKwas OS.

Aho is a UFA in summer 24. So Carolina could look at acquire Horvat if they can resign him well below what Aho ask would be, then look at trading Aho At the draft.
Canes ownership (who admittedly have a reputation for not being the most transparently honest people) have said Aho will be a lifelong Cane if he wants to be, as far as they're concerned.

Trading for Horvat is really about solidifying their centers long-term as KK has not worked out as a 2C. Aho/Horvat/Staal down the middle is fairly formidable. Pretty sure they're out if they can't negotiate a contract extension before a trade though. Likewise, KK is probably going the other direction.

Reactions: Sigurd

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This trade will be this management’s version of the Kesler trade. A replacement but downgraded centre (Bonino), a young roster player that had pedigree but didn’t pan out (Sbisa), and a decent but not great pick/prospect (24th overall).

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Canes ownership (who admittedly have a reputation for not being the most transparently honest people) have said Aho will be a lifelong Cane if he wants to be, as far as they're concerned.

Trading for Horvat is really about solidifying their centers long-term as KK has not worked out as a 2C. Aho/Horvat/Staal down the middle is fairly formidable. Pretty sure they're out if they can't negotiate a contract extension before a trade though. Likewise, KK is probably going the other direction.

i think Aho resigning could be a factor where you are far apart where team wants 9 and he wants 12. I’m certain they have had some discussions.

also remember…KK has a 1/3 under 26 yr old buy out option they can execute that counts as under $1M per year double the contract years left. If he doesn’t improve, they can execute that.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
This trade will be this management’s version of the Kesler trade. A replacement but downgraded centre (Bonino), a young roster player that had pedigree but didn’t pan out (Sbisa), and a decent but not great pick/prospect (24th overall).
Doubt it since there are reports of them asking for teams best prospect

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina

I'm gonna make a wild statement that Carolina does everything they can to keep Aho. So, it's a bit outlandish that they'd trade Aho at all.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009

I don't see the Wings trading for Horvat either. If they did though lottery protections for this pick wouldn't be that hard to work out. Top 5 protected basically means Van gets the 2024 1st if you win the lottery.
You say top 10 but the Wings aren't picking higher than at best 7th, and much more likely 9-12 without winning the lottery.
Detroit is the exact kind of team where it would be beneficial to have his agent talk with the team. Makes no sense for this year (on the ice), but it gives them months to negotiate with him. Once he's a ufa you're just another face in the crowd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad