Proposal: Horvat for Newhook

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Yes you can.

Rangers done it with Zuccarello when he was traded to the Stars.

2nd rounder upgraded to 1st if Dallas re-signed Zuccarello.
It was a 3rd actually that would have become a 1st.

This was arguably a primary reason the rule was changed as it appeared to be a key factor in Dallas not re-signing Zucc.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
The deal in the previous thread that seemed to be agreed by both sides, if done by Christmas and potentially some salary retained in case numbers didn't line up was:

To VAN:
Alex Newhook
2023 1st
2024 4th/2025 3rd

To COL:
Bo Horvat ( __% retained)

Feb 19, 2018
I could see the teams getting creative here and trying to have players within their window.

Horvat 50% retained
2024 1st (top 10 protected)
Schenn

Byram
Newhook
EJ (cap purposes)

That would allow the Avalanche to add to Bo for a Cup run this year and the Avs to resign Toews as one of him or Byram will price themselves out anyways. The first would resort to a 2025 1st top 5 protection and if that happens a 2026 no protection. The Avs can use the pick or dangle it for a 2C if they can’t afford Horvat, similar to the trade that brought Byram there in the first place.

The Canucks add to the desired core age stated by management while furthering along development time as the owner does not want a full rebuild. Newhook takes Horvat spot on the roster and Byram is a local young Dman who they have sought after in the right age range. They retain 50% and try to flip EJ right after for a pick or prospect, or he just plays out the season.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I have a feeling that someone like Columbus is a dark horse. Jarmo is a gunslinger and they have better assets to offer than a contender would, if they can get Horvat on an extension
I think CBJ trades for Miller personally. Local boy, locked in long term. RHD would need to come back, Peeke or Ceulmans, Roslivic and a 2nd?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I could see the teams getting creative here and trying to have players within their window.

Horvat 50% retained
Schenn

Byram
Newhook
EJ (cap purposes)

That would allow the Avalanche to add to Bo for a Cup run this year and the Avs to resign Toews as one of him or Byram will price themselves out anyways. The first would resort to a 2025 1st top 5 protection and if that happens a 2026 no protection. The Avs can use the pick or dangle it for a 2C if they can’t afford Horvat, similar to the trade that brought Byram there in the first place.

The Canucks add to the desired core age stated by management while furthering along development time as the owner does not want a full rebuild. Newhook takes Horvat spot on the roster and Byram is a local young Dman who they have sought after in the right age range. They retain 50% and try to flip EJ right after for a pick or prospect, or he just plays out the season.
Byram is not going anywhere.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020

Horvat 50% retained
Schenn

Byram
Newhook
EJ (cap purposes)

Haha this is like when Ottawa thought they were closer than they were to being a contender, traded a first and it ironically ended up being Byram himself. Value shmalue I don't even care to go into it. The dumbest imaginable thing the Canucks could ever do is trade a 1st round pick that could so so so easily end up a lottery pick.

Edit* missed top 10 protection....point remains we need to be making rebuilding traded and that means no 1sts leave the vicinity

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Horvat 50% retained
Schenn

Byram
Newhook
EJ (cap purposes)

When did Jim Benning become the Avs GM?

Reactions: Ncit3

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I have a feeling that someone like Columbus is a dark horse. Jarmo is a gunslinger and they have better assets to offer than a contender would, if they can get Horvat on an extension

Columbus isn't looking like a playoff team, so I think they'd probably prefer to keep their assets and just make at a run at him in UFA.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think a lot of non Avs fans might just genuinely be unaware of where Bo is as a player, and so they are tacking him onto proposals like he’s still a lotto ticket. I am giving up trying to correct this notion.
Yet at the same time they hold onto their own highly touted youngsters as if they are only tradable for McDavid or Makar.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I wouldn't be targeting Newhook as the main piece for Horvat, and I think there are better suitors. He's a known quantity and his offensive trajectory has perhaps stalled, on an offensive juggernaut team. I'd prefer the Canucks to be seeking prospects and picks. At the least, I'd want him as the secondary piece in any deal.

Last edited:

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
The rule has been changed a long time ago....

Anyway, that's a pretty poor deal for Vancouver. Newhook + 1st is much closer.
The deal in the previous thread that seemed to be agreed by both sides, if done by Christmas and potentially some salary retained in case numbers didn't line up was:

To VAN:
Alex Newhook
2023 1st
2024 4th/2025 3rd

To COL:
Bo Horvat ( __% retained)

I'd be OK with this. Ideally we could get a young RHD for Horvat but that seems nigh on impossible.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Not you or your post at all, just a general perception I’ve seen in all the Horvat threads in general. I mean one of the responses in this very thread is suggesting Newhook is part of a wasteland of no value that exists outside Byram - which is a ridiculous and unrealistic expectation to have.

And not trying to pick on Vancouver fans, we all do this to some degree, it’s a symptom of being a sports fan following prospects and being excited about potential while also lacking patience and perspective.
What I've read, is Canuck fans stating that Newhook isn't the biggest need for our team right now. He is an offensive winger at this point. Small, not very physical. As the Canucks roster is currently constructed small offensive wingers are not a real big need. The Canucks have Boeser, Garland, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko playing on their wing. Therefore if you are going to give up your biggest trade chip in Horvat it would seem counterproductive to add another winger to the roster, if the opportunity presents itself the Canucks would be far better off using the Horvat asset for a player in a more needed position.

At no point was this a Newhook sucks, or Newhook is a bust - sure every thread has at least one ass-hat that will post stupid comments but if you're hung up on those posts.......that's on you.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
A signed Horvat for Girard would be interesting
A signed Horvat for Girard would be interesting. I would be interested in how long the riot in Vancouver would last, I would be interested in how long it would take for ownership to fire all Canucks Management, It would be interesting to see everyone in the world pile on an already depressed fan base for the worst trade in hockey history. Oh yes a signed Horvat for Girard trade would be interesting thats for sure.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
sure every thread has at least one ass-hat that will post stupid comments but if you're hung up on those posts.......that's on you.

A signed Horvat for Girard would be interesting. I would be interested in how long the riot in Vancouver would last, I would be interested in how long it would take for ownership to fire all Canucks Management, It would be interesting to see everyone in the world pile on an already depressed fan base for the worst trade in hockey history. Oh yes a signed Horvat for Girard trade would be interesting thats for sure.
Looks like you got tripped up by an ass-hat, guess that’s on you…

Reactions: nightonthesun

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

I mean rental Horvat is not going to get you Girard so its not that far off.
Even though Sammy with his recent injuries certainly has lost a bit of his value.

He is a horrible fit in Vancouver but still...

The talk of Byram is hilarious. We are talking one year of Horvat here.
Thats 1st + Olausson territory at best. Not Byram...

And as already stated.
Horvat to the Avs doesn't make much sense anyways.
There are teams that are much better suited to acquire him, that have pieces that the Nucks would very likely prefer over what the Avs realistically can offer and that actually have the capspace to potentially keep Horvat which should certainly make them more willing to give the Nucks a better deal..

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I mean rental Horvat is not going to get you Girard so its not that far off.
Even though Sammy with his recent injuries certainly has lost a bit of his value.

He is a horrible fit in Vancouver but still...

The talk of Byram is hilarious. We are talking one year of Horvat here.
Thats 1st + Olausson territory at best. Not Byram...

And as already stated.
Horvat to the Avs doesn't make much sense anyways.
There are teams that are much better suited to acquire him, that have pieces that the Nucks would very likely prefer over what the Avs realistically can offer and that actually have the capspace to potentially keep Horvat which should certainly make them more willing to give the Nucks a better deal..
I've never advocated for Horvat to the Avs. I've never discussed Byram being involved in any trade to any team, so thanks for those comments. As for Girard - well its not that far off in the way the moon is really close to earth if you compare it to the sun? That sort of not far off??

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd do Newhook and Colorado's first for Horvat.

If we continue to wait and Horvat continues to rack up points, the value will keep going up.

If we need to take a piece back for cap reasons, sure, we can do that, but we'd need market value for a cap dump as well.

I, personally, think we should resign Horvat. He is not the problem with this team. But if he has to move, it won't be at a steep discount to complete a team for a cup run.

Yeah. Newhook alone isn't enough for Horvat. If the Canucks are going to make a change that big, they need that extra pick included. The Avs 1st with Horvat playing for them is probably a borderline 2nd round pick anyway.

But Newhook is at least the sort of piece where i could understand the move. That's the sort of baseline "starting point" for a centerpiece for a Horvat trade.

Reactions: Cogburn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad